Almay smart shade

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

So far, so good. I don't tend to use concealer around my eyes because it always settles in fine lines. Lately, I have had very dark circles. I found this concealer at a great price and decided to give it a try. Doesn't cake up in creases, is not overly highlighted, and blends smoothly.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am involved in activities that put me in outside for 9-12 hours a week. Do to this (and my skin that tans very easily) my skin tone is constantly evolving. I've always had trouble finding concealer that can adapt to this. And I thought that I had found a good fix with Smart Shade. The first few weeks it worked extremely well, but only after a moth the concealer has began to separate in the tube and a brown liquid puddle accompanies every dollop of product. Not only that, but the liquid has begun seeping out the tip and into the lid. Just to apply it I have to blend it on my hand before I blend it on my face. It doesn't help when I'm short on time.

on 10/27/2013 1:23:00 AM

it doesnt really work as a concealer imo, so i kept it and just use it as a foundation, just like the full size bottle.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have a mixed opinion of Almay's Smart Shade Concealer. Here is why:

I dig the whole "Smart Shade" thing. I like how it goes on white and then adjusts to skin tone. I have pretty fair skin but I have really dark under eye circles that look like bruising. So I basically bought this concealer for the purpose of covering them as much as possible, as well as to use as a base under my eye makeup.

It burns my eyes a bit when I apply it under my eyes. The burning is momentary but it's uncomfortable. It provides pretty good coverage but I think it can actually make my under eye area look too light and slightly unnatural. But that's when I'm not wearing any other makeup to balance it out.

I once tried to use this to conceal the dry, irritated red-splotches on my cheeks and it burned SOOOO bad, and made my cheeks even more red and irritated. I tried to wash it off immediately but it was pretty hard to do so. I had to wash my face twice because it just would not come off with regular facial cleanser. BUT it's easy to remove from my eye area with a makeup remover cloth.

I think the fine tipped applicator is really good for concealing small blemishes and under eye circles. You don't get a whole bunch pouring out at once when you only need a little. The actual tube is pretty small for $18.00, which is what it goes for here in Canada at SDM. But I guess if you're just using it to conceal dark circles and small blemishes then it should last awhile.

I chose "yes" as to whether I would buy it again, but I'm torn. I really don't know if I would. It's expensive and there are just as many cons to balance out the pros. So I'm going to say MAYBE I would buy it again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

As I am approaching nearly 40 years of age (ugh!), I realised my usual concealers were not working for me anymore. They were making my fine lines stand out more.

So I was on the lookout for an inexpensive concealer that wouldn't make me fine lines more apparent. I decided to try Almay Smart Shade Anti Ageing Concealer.

It lived up to it's name! I use a tiny bit at a time, it goes on white, but immediately changes to match your skin (depending on which shade you need, I use light)

Brilliant!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a review of the plain version of the Smart Shade concealer (not the anti aging version). I used it as an under eye concealer. It actually emphasized the fine lines. The product disappeared and whatever was left, settled into the lines.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I normally have a nearly-impossible tine finding concealer hat matches my skintone, so when I saw this self-adjusting one, I thought I'd give it a shot; it definitely did not work out for me. I have several problems with this concealer.

First off, the color. While it didn't turn orange on me, this concealer was far too yellow. I have very cool/pink skin, so I couldn't even dream of using it anywhere on my face but on my undereye circles, and even there it was way too warm/yellow.

Second, the glitter. Oh gosh, the glitter. I got the "Anti-Aging" version of this concealer, and I don't know about the normal one, but it was chock-full of microglitter; I tried this around my nose and it looked like I had just rubbed glitter all over my face! This glitter is not flattering, and it actually draws attention to wherever you put it. Also, t claimed to not settle in fine lines, but it accentuated mine (and I'm only 19!).

Thirdly, the formulation/coverage. To get any sort of decent coverage with this concealer, you have to tap it on. To get it to blend to a color instead of being white, you have to rub it in. So, by the you blend it in, you've just smeared away any coverage you had.

The only pro to this product was the packaging and amount of product, but a nice container and a lot of a poor product aren't anywhere close to a saving grace for this stuff. You would be much better off buying something else.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This concealer is hopeless. I tried it out awhile ago and it didn't blend properly with my skin-tone (NC30-35). Like another reviewer wrote, the concealer comes out from the tube in a white colour and as you blend it in, it's meant to turn into your correct shade. I used the smallest dot under each eye, blended like crazy and it still left a horrible white cast beneath my eyes. I think it would best suit very fair skin-tones. Not flash photography friendly either because of the SPF15.

on 5/8/2011 12:48:00 PM

Pretty good concealer, doesn't go orange on me. Coverage is fair and does an okay job.

on 4/11/2011 1:35:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Terrible terrible terrible. I bought this along with the smart-shade foundation (which I also hated). I bought the lightest shade, and it was not only too dark- it was also orange looking. Uncool!
What I think is absolutely the worst thing about this is that it is no thicker than the foundation and it offers no more coverage. It conceals nothing. If you buy this as well as the foundation, you're pretty much just buying the same thing twice. Who are they kidding???