Almay smart shade

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

First impressions of this concealer:
Goes on white and turns the shade of your complexion ,mostly. I say that because I do notice a somewhat brightening effect after application.
The texture is lotion-like and was easy to apply.
The blend ability is excellent.
Now,onto the coverage. It's not going to cover any major imperfections such as dark spots,circles,shadowing or scars. The coverage is buildable but can become problematic and cause an whitening overcast to the skin. The coverage is medium light at best.
The longevity is around 4 hours,so plan on touch ups.
On the upswing,it is great for sensitive skinned individuals (of which I am).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

So far, so good. I don't tend to use concealer around my eyes because it always settles in fine lines. Lately, I have had very dark circles. I found this concealer at a great price and decided to give it a try. Doesn't cake up in creases, is not overly highlighted, and blends smoothly.

on 11/14/2014 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Crap. Had to throw it out. Absolute garbage.
It comes out a different color every time and I can see no rhyme or reason to what color it comes out. On the exact same spot on my face one day it was almost white and the next a chocolatey brown. And I bought the Light! Trying to use it to cover dark circles or blemishes is literally impossible because it just reacts with the darkest it can go. So instead of blue circles under your eyes, have some deep brown ones. They'll look great!

on 7/21/2014 6:06:00 PM

WORST. CONCEALER. EVER. First, no matter how much you shake the tube, the product separates badly. When you squeeze it onto your finger or a sponge, it comes out as a dark brown oily liquid (which can't be good for my acne-prone skin) and a blob of whitish paste. After blending the two, you get an uber-light oily concealer. Although my skin tone is very pale and I always need the lightest shade of foundations and concealers, this was still way too light for me. Even worse, the coverage was poor...it was far too sheer to conceal either red marks from acne or dark eye circles. Layering did not help the coverage, it only made it obvious that I was wearing concealer. Yet after washing my hands with soap, I could still see some of the concealer on my fingers! I guess you need makeup remover to get it off properly. I'm also not crazy about the tube packaging...I prefer sticks or pencils that are easier to apply and less prone to spillage in my purse.

Would not recommend or repurchase. In fact, I'm taking this back to Target to see if they will refund my money.

Yes it matches skin tone but that's where it ends. Doesn't do an even so-so job of concealing imperfections,which judging from the name of the product is not the focus here.

I really like this concealer. I honestly bought it on a whim, lured by a sign stating that if I didn't like the product, I could return it. I'd been considering a new concealer (my other one was a powder formula and had a few issues...crepey under my eyes and orange everywhere else.) but finding a match for both under my eyes AND on the rest of my face is a challenge and I'm too lazy to want to have to use multiple products.

In all honesty, I bought this thinking it couldn't possibly work and I would probably be returning it (for a full refund). Curiosity got the best of me.

It turned out to be a pretty awesome product. Somehow, it does what it promises- at least on my skin (I have a hard time believing this works for everyone, but I seem to have the perfect skin for it). It stays on very well (hardly any creases at all by the end of the day, and the coverage lasts and lasts.)

My one gripe, is that I wish it covered better. It is buildable, but it's harder to get good coverage on blemishes (since the act of blending it in, rubs it OFF of the pesky little demons, but this is a problem that I've had with EVERY concealer that I've tried thus far. So far, this one has performed better than all the others.)

I'd definitely buy this again.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have a mixed opinion of Almay's Smart Shade Concealer. Here is why:

I dig the whole "Smart Shade" thing. I like how it goes on white and then adjusts to skin tone. I have pretty fair skin but I have really dark under eye circles that look like bruising. So I basically bought this concealer for the purpose of covering them as much as possible, as well as to use as a base under my eye makeup.

It burns my eyes a bit when I apply it under my eyes. The burning is momentary but it's uncomfortable. It provides pretty good coverage but I think it can actually make my under eye area look too light and slightly unnatural. But that's when I'm not wearing any other makeup to balance it out.

I once tried to use this to conceal the dry, irritated red-splotches on my cheeks and it burned SOOOO bad, and made my cheeks even more red and irritated. I tried to wash it off immediately but it was pretty hard to do so. I had to wash my face twice because it just would not come off with regular facial cleanser. BUT it's easy to remove from my eye area with a makeup remover cloth.

I think the fine tipped applicator is really good for concealing small blemishes and under eye circles. You don't get a whole bunch pouring out at once when you only need a little. The actual tube is pretty small for $18.00, which is what it goes for here in Canada at SDM. But I guess if you're just using it to conceal dark circles and small blemishes then it should last awhile.

I chose "yes" as to whether I would buy it again, but I'm torn. I really don't know if I would. It's expensive and there are just as many cons to balance out the pros. So I'm going to say MAYBE I would buy it again.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I just wanted to try this out thinking the smart-shade would be less cakey than the ordinary concealer.. Nope. I am pale and bought the lightest shade. I don't see any orangeness at all though when I swatched it on my hand I did see a little of what people are saying but once I blend it out it becomes completely pale. And it doesn't look orange on my face. It dries very sticky and seems really thick appearing. It's not all that great of coverage and isn't very easy to work with. Just not the greatest.

I am usually weary of gimmicky products like this. but my sister had some of this concealer and I gave it a try. I am quite shocked at how well it works! I have a terrible habit of squeezing my zits (sorry, I know that's gross), and most concealers will make it look crusty while it's healing. this concealer works the best. it's not perfect, but it looks a lot better than anything else I've tried! it's thin though, so I have to layer it to get enough coverage.

also, the area around my nose is kind of red and blotchy. this concealer really corrects the area very well, and becomes invisible once it sets. it does not look like I'm wearing makeup.

if you don't blend it in enough, it can get a little too tan. so be sure to check it in bright light before you leave the house.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

As I am approaching nearly 40 years of age (ugh!), I realised my usual concealers were not working for me anymore. They were making my fine lines stand out more.

So I was on the lookout for an inexpensive concealer that wouldn't make me fine lines more apparent. I decided to try Almay Smart Shade Anti Ageing Concealer.

It lived up to it's name! I use a tiny bit at a time, it goes on white, but immediately changes to match your skin (depending on which shade you need, I use light)

Brilliant!