Almay smart shade

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.7

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

Wow, Almay "Smart" Shade? More like Almay Stupid Shade! This was nothing but a GRAY concealer that turned ORANGE-YELLOW upon rubbing into skin. I can't believe this has yet to be discontinued because I can't imagine that someone would actually use this product without realizing how sickly and jaundiced it can make you look! Most definitely one of the worst concealers I've ever bought.

I've got fair skin, and this product just turns yellowish brown on me. I bought this for emergency back up, as my local store was out of my regular concealer. I'd rather have my blemishes show, than have horribly discolored spots all over. In some spots it looked like I had bruising on my face. Not good at all.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this concealer for hiding scars, general redness/uneven skin tone, undereye circles, and mild/medium acne. I practically use it as foundation, except that it doesn't look cakey/heavy/opaque and I don't use it to cover my entire face. It doesn't seem to emphasize dry skin unless my skin is super flaky. It doesn't come off easily, even though I have oily-based skin. (I know, flakiness and oiliness should cancel out. But it doesn't on my face...)

Cons: Sometimes, I find small pockets of watery pigment when it comes out of the tube. I can't put this pigment on my skin because it'll tint my skin super dark! When you layer it, that patch of your skin will get really dark. The packaging is also kind of annoying because you have to make sure you don't squeeze too hard so that concealer pops out. What I do is just squeeze out a little circle on the back of my hand and use my hand like a palette.

But in general, I quite like it. The finish is sort of satiny, but mostly just matches the finish of my skin.

on 5/12/2009 8:06:00 PM

I bought this just out of the blue because the concealer I was looking for that was on sale was all tampered with at the local rite aid. I was going to return this after I came home and checked the MUA reviews on it. But I decided to try it anyway - and I'm glad I did. It's actually pretty good. The coverage is a lot more natural - and definitely is not heavy enough for someone with seriously dark circles. But for someone who wears light makeup and just wants some coverage (for eyes), this is good. It doesn't look cakey or settles into lines (unlike the clinique one!!). I like to "seed" the color in first before I put it on my eyes - I put a bead of product on the back of my thumb and smudge some of it onto my skin, then I take all of it with my "color" seeded in and it seems to work closer to my skin tone as opposed to putting it directly under my eyes (it seems to be lighter if I don't do that). Or maybe its my imagination, either way it works! I have yellow undertones and I'm pretty pale and "light" works for my skintone.

-------

I am updating my review after using this in warmer weather. The coverage is quite light and sometimes it "separates" just a bit. I'm not sure if everyone knows what I mean by separate, but basically, your undereyes look like a spotted leopard almost, it's not smooth enough. And after you put it on and it sets, you can't build on it unless you want a very obvious "separated" look. It is merely okay, still looking for HG.

Hmmmm, this one was weird for me. I'm pretty fair, but not the fairest by any means, but went ahead and purchased the lightest shade in this. Yellowed terribly, even if I used a very thin layer. The consistency was great, just wish the color was a better match.

Skin: Oily, Other, Neutral

I say this with great hesitation, because concealer has always been the one makeup item that I've had the most trouble with finding a good one. For reference, I am very fair with bluish dark circles that I've had since childhood. I have tried so many concealers.....from Estee' Lauder, Lancome, Prescriptives, Clinique and other high end dept. store brands, to drugstore brands like Maybelline, Cover Girl, L'Oreal., Revlon, Neutrogena, and many others. In my lifetime, I'd be willing to bet I've tried at least thirty different kinds and brands of concealers. Well, I think this MAY be "the one". I bought the lightest shade, and so far, I have worn it for three days in 100 degree temps and nearly that high humidity, and it looks very natural and wears very well. . I love the fact that it comes in a tube, and not in a pot, jar, pan, as over time, the oils in our fingers, brushes, do alter the integrity and consistency of those types of products. I have very fine lines under my eyes, and this concealer, unlike every other I've tried, not only doesn't empahsize those lines, but it seems to "erase" them, or at the very least, make them less noticeable. I do use a light consistency eye cream underneath, and allow it to settle before applying this concealer. The trick, as I think someone else mentioned, is to apply a very small amount and to rub it just a tad between your fingers so that when you apply it under the eye, you don't have to rub as hard to allow your custom color to appear. Truly, this is the FIRST concealer that I have ever used in my life that doesn't scream....."you're wearing concealer.", which to me, is astounding. I would highly recommend this to older gals who do have fine lines under their eyes as I can't believe how natural it looks. Not "cakey" at all, and doesn't settle into those lines and make you look WORSE than before you applied the concealer, as so many others do. Also, it wears VERY well, and with the heat and humidity in FL, that is saying a lot. If it stands up to FL's climate, I think it would perform well anywhere. As an aside, I did try the Almay "smart shade" blush, but I didn't care for that at all and ended up returning it to Target. But this concealer is a definite keeper and I sure hope they don't stop making it or else I'd be back to square one. If you're on the fence, please give it a try and don't be a makeup "snob"........I think you will be pleasantly surprised at this product, as I was. I bought it with the thought that I'd probably return it, but I am so glad that I took a chance on it. Lives up to its promise, and then some.
EDIT: I went back and bought the light to medium, which is the second lightest shade and I think it looks even better than the lightest shade. Better match for my skin. Great concealer.