Almay smart shade

Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.6

Skin: Oily, Other, Neutral

I say this with great hesitation, because concealer has always been the one makeup item that I've had the most trouble with finding a good one. For reference, I am very fair with bluish dark circles that I've had since childhood. I have tried so many concealers.....from Estee' Lauder, Lancome, Prescriptives, Clinique and other high end dept. store brands, to drugstore brands like Maybelline, Cover Girl, L'Oreal., Revlon, Neutrogena, and many others. In my lifetime, I'd be willing to bet I've tried at least thirty different kinds and brands of concealers. Well, I think this MAY be "the one". I bought the lightest shade, and so far, I have worn it for three days in 100 degree temps and nearly that high humidity, and it looks very natural and wears very well. . I love the fact that it comes in a tube, and not in a pot, jar, pan, as over time, the oils in our fingers, brushes, do alter the integrity and consistency of those types of products. I have very fine lines under my eyes, and this concealer, unlike every other I've tried, not only doesn't empahsize those lines, but it seems to "erase" them, or at the very least, make them less noticeable. I do use a light consistency eye cream underneath, and allow it to settle before applying this concealer. The trick, as I think someone else mentioned, is to apply a very small amount and to rub it just a tad between your fingers so that when you apply it under the eye, you don't have to rub as hard to allow your custom color to appear. Truly, this is the FIRST concealer that I have ever used in my life that doesn't scream....."you're wearing concealer.", which to me, is astounding. I would highly recommend this to older gals who do have fine lines under their eyes as I can't believe how natural it looks. Not "cakey" at all, and doesn't settle into those lines and make you look WORSE than before you applied the concealer, as so many others do. Also, it wears VERY well, and with the heat and humidity in FL, that is saying a lot. If it stands up to FL's climate, I think it would perform well anywhere. As an aside, I did try the Almay "smart shade" blush, but I didn't care for that at all and ended up returning it to Target. But this concealer is a definite keeper and I sure hope they don't stop making it or else I'd be back to square one. If you're on the fence, please give it a try and don't be a makeup "snob"........I think you will be pleasantly surprised at this product, as I was. I bought it with the thought that I'd probably return it, but I am so glad that I took a chance on it. Lives up to its promise, and then some.
EDIT: I went back and bought the light to medium, which is the second lightest shade and I think it looks even better than the lightest shade. Better match for my skin. Great concealer.

on 9/22/2008 9:29:00 AM

Sorry to ruin the great reviews. I bought this product on a whim at the drugstore and was absolutely thrilled with it at first. I used it as an undereye concealer and it truly did "adjust" to my skintone. However, I noticed it was a tad too dry/matte for me (settled into my fine lines) so I switched to using it on other areas of my face and this is where I ran into problems. I started applying the concealer just around my nose area. Within a day, the area around my nose starting to burn. A day after that, whiteheads starting appearing around my nose. They were the incredibly painful, bring tears to your eyes kind of whiteheads. They popped rather easily (sorry, so gross) and healed well, but still. Something I would rather avoid overall. I stopped using the concealer around my nose and immediately, the whiteheads stopped. I then decided to try it again, and the whiteheads returned. Ick. I stopped again and I wanted to resume using it around my eye area as I've been VERY tired lately and desperately need something, but if it caused that much irritation around my nose, what is it doing to the tender skin around my eyes?... I have extremely sensitive skin so for those of you who do not this may very well still be a great ds concealer. Just not for me.

on 8/20/2008 12:50:00 PM

This is the best concealer that I've ever owned. And I've owned A LOT. From drugstore brands to Lancome, Estee Lauder, and Chanel - but this concealer is better by far than any of them. This goes on smooth and creamy, and it gives a soft matte finish - but never dry. It does not settle in fine lines, crease, dry out skin or turn flaky. It goes on beautiful and natural.

And I can't believe how well it matches my skin color. I've always had a real problem with concealers for under my eyes - the colors never looked right - they were either pale and ghostly, or pinky, or orangey, and they almost always creased or turned dry/flaky. Almay has managed to create the perfect concealer (at least for me). The "Smart Shade" coloring ... I have no idea how they do it ... but it matches my skin PERFECTLY. Looks like I have nothing on, just perfect skin. I use the color "Light".... it goes on really pale (almost white) then I tap, tap, tap, tap, tap it all around my eye area and the color just transforms into my exact skin color. It's amazing. Then it keeps my skin soft and natural all day. Really, REALLY great stuff! 5 lippies!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this concealer for hiding scars, general redness/uneven skin tone, undereye circles, and mild/medium acne. I practically use it as foundation, except that it doesn't look cakey/heavy/opaque and I don't use it to cover my entire face. It doesn't seem to emphasize dry skin unless my skin is super flaky. It doesn't come off easily, even though I have oily-based skin. (I know, flakiness and oiliness should cancel out. But it doesn't on my face...)

Cons: Sometimes, I find small pockets of watery pigment when it comes out of the tube. I can't put this pigment on my skin because it'll tint my skin super dark! When you layer it, that patch of your skin will get really dark. The packaging is also kind of annoying because you have to make sure you don't squeeze too hard so that concealer pops out. What I do is just squeeze out a little circle on the back of my hand and use my hand like a palette.

But in general, I quite like it. The finish is sort of satiny, but mostly just matches the finish of my skin.

on 4/2/2013 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very good product for the price point. A little goes a long way. Goes on smoothly, and conceals well. I use it under my eyes, and around my nose. It blends very well with my skin tone, and I don't get any of that orange that other reviewers mentioned. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I buy the lightest shade offered. Definitely not the BEST product on the market, but still a must have in my makeup bag. Great for everyday. I think I am on my third tube. I generally just dab a bit on my finger and apply. Sometimes, I use a brush. It's a pretty fool proof product.

on 8/31/2010 11:58:00 PM

Wow, usually I'm the one who is griping about things turning too orange or yellow on my skin, and here's an instance when I think the color is OK and almost everyone else hates the poop out of it. I picked this up on sale because I needed something to toss in the gym bag and I really like the compact, light, convenient packaging. I don't think the coverage that this product gives is great, but it's OK, and not that different from some high-end products I've tried. I have a cool undertones and the color really didn't give me any difficulty -- I think it looks sort of orange when it first goes on, but then the shade changes again and looks fine. I do think that it is best to use a light hand with this product -- whatever makes it change colors might be affected by too many layers of the product. (That's just a guess on my part.) Bobbi Brown concealer it is not, but it's a serviceable product that is easy to carry around.

on 10/15/2009 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this concealer. I don't like to spend alot, but I buy several brands and types to have around, since my skin can be bad and behaves differently when the weather changes. Winter hit, so I needed a concealer that was more liquid. I bought this during a BOGO sale along with the foundation in Light and Light/Medium and found the that Light/Medium matches my skin well (I will give the Light to a very pale friend of mine). It covers up my rosacea without looking cakey, and stays on all day without being greasy (didn't need to blot). The only complaint I have is that if I don't blend it well, I will get a weird streak of color (thus 4 instead of 5 lippies). I have yet to find a concealer that doesn't reveal my flaky dry patches at the end of the day, but this is one of the better ones.
Edit: I'm actually liking this quite a bit more now that I'm using both light/medium and medium shades concurrently and sometimes mixed, to match the different regions on my face.
Edit 2: I have not problems blending now, so I don't get streaks anymore, and I just bought more. After "testing" even more expensive brands of concealer, I'm still liking this one more.

on 10/5/2009 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Foolish me.

I got this by trading in some Points in SDM. All I can say is better points than real money. It looks like a good idea, and Almay have done some excellent undereye concealers in days of yore - could be used on the lid too, as redness neutralizer.

Pro: no reactions on sensitive human, and no animal testing. But some major issues:

1. There are three shades. Optimistic or insulting, even if it were true that this "transforms into your idea shade". And if that were true, why not just have one version, with the magic formula you need to utter written inside on a bit of paper between the tube and the paper packaging?

2. The palest shade is too dark on my skin. Anywhere on my skin. Let alone round the eyes. It also oxidised in *seconds*. And I promise you, I did not wish for mid/dark orange skin.

Maybe they forgot to put the magic words in the packaging around my tube, as I tried lots of words - mostly of the four-letter variety - and no transformation occurred. At any rate, I'm disappointed.

3. not that cheap, for an 11 ml tube.

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) continued >>

on 10/27/2013 1:23:00 AM

it doesnt really work as a concealer imo, so i kept it and just use it as a foundation, just like the full size bottle.

I think this is one of the best concealers out there. I notice that many reviews are negative however 40 + women like myself have given it positive reviews.

I love this product. Great packaging , no perfume, blends well, looks very natural and you can build cover. I use light/medium under eyes and around redness near nose.

This seems to blend in and match my foundations well .