ABBA Pure Gentle Shampoo

No Image

2.8

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have found that most sulfate-free shampoos are a little drying for me and this was no exception. At first I really liked it, but as I continued to use it, my hair became drier and stiffer. The smell is a fresh-floral clean scent and somewhat strong, but I didn't mind it (and I have a terrible time with fragrances irritating me). This lathers very well for a sulfate-free shampoo. I actually like the Whole Foods 365 - Fragrance Free.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua) (Eau), Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium PCA, Myristamine Oxide, Glycerin (*Vegetable Oil), Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress) Extract, Yucca Filamentosa Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Extract, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids (*Apple Juice Amino Acids), Citric Acid (*Sweet Potato), Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, ABBA Aromatherapy Fragrance (Parfum).

My hair had really dried out and I was looking for something to add moisture but still be gentle, as I have super sensitive skin and most products weigh down my super fine hair and then make me break out. It felt very soothing, but didn't do much to make my hair feel "clean," and unless I followed with the Pure Basic conditioner right after, my hair felt almost oilier than before I washed it. I noticed recently my hair has also become almost drier, as noted by another reviewer. I did find another use for it though - I now use a bit of the shampoo instead of shower gel or shaving cream to shave my legs, and my legs are the absolute smoothest I have ever seen! Again, I have very, very sensitve skin, and the gentle, vegan formula also seems to be the only thing I have used that has prevented razor burn, ingrown hairs, or other irritations. I got the mega bottle from the beauty supply store, so it's going to last me a looooong time. I wouldn't repurchase for my hair, but the relief for my legs is so significant I may continue to purchase (in six years when the bottle runs out) for shaving purposes alone!

on 2/6/2009 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a decent shampo, the best sulfate-free one I have ever tried. I have a sensitive scalp and am constantly trying to find shampoo that doesn't make my scalp go crazy. This one is ok, but not spectacular. Going to give pureoology or something a whirl next time. I also use as bodywash because I have the big bottles!
EDIT: Just use as bodywash now, didn't clean my hair very well after tine and didn't help with my scalp.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I purchased this shampoo because I was in the market for a sulfate free product. I was experiencing some serious hair shedding, and from doing a little research, heard there was a link between sulfates and hair shedding. So, off I went looking for a new shampoo (I usually use Pantene).

With my normal shampoo, I experienced itchy scalp (probably because it was dry from the shampoo), and even pimple like bumps on my scalp and around my hair line. But, with this shampoo, that all went away! But strangely enough, my hair - which usually takes three to four days to get super oily - was seriously oily the next morning! What in the heck?

PROS
Sulfate free
Smells nice
Actually experienced less hair shedding
Didn't make my scalp itchy
Scalp didn't feel dry
When my hair got oily, it didn't 'stink' - KWIM?

CONS
Leaves a weird film on my hair - like I didn't rinse it out good enough, even though I did!
Made my hair seriously oily only a day after washing, when usually it takes three to four days!

Unfortunately, I'm still looking or a good shampoo. I'll have to finish this bottle though, 'coz I refuse to waste my money. Oh well, at least it doesn't make my hair fall out more or make my scalp itch. And since I'll have to wash it more frequently, at least I'll go through the product fast!

on 12/25/2009 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

In my quest for a great, no-sulfate, everyday shampoo, after my HG Paves Professionals No Sulfates Allowed was discontinued, I picked this up at Marshall's for $7.99 USD (50% off the retail price next door at Ulta).

This proved to not do anything noticeably "bad" to my hair, but it also didn't leave it feeling or looking especially healthy, which I would expect from a "gentle" formula. I used it all up, but wouldn't purchase this mediocre-performing shampoo again for my hair type.

I have thin, fine medium-blonde hair (not processed at this time). It's important to note that due to a medication I was on, a lot of my hair fell out, so my hair is on the road to recovery, and needs very special care. Perhaps this would produce better results on very healthy hair, but I do not recommend it for damaged or otherwise special-care hair. Unfortunately, it also left my healthy, real-hair extensions lackluster, although I only used it once on them.
The bottle is functional with not a lot of frills, which I respect. My only complaint is that the flip top is often difficult to open with wet hands.

This product is vegan, for those non-omnivores among us. It also has no synthetic dyes, sulfates, or DEAs.
From the bottle:
ABBA Pure Gentle Shampoo
Pure Gentle Shampoo (Previously Nourishing Shampoo)
Cleanses hair without harshness. Contains Watercress, high in vitamin A, which has healing and relaxing properties. Aloe Extract adds moisture and promotes gentle healing. Application:
Apply to wet hair and lather. Wait one minute, allowing shampoo to penetrate. Rinse and repeat as needed.Commitment to Purity
100% Vegan
Sulfate Free
Free of Synthetic Dyes
DEA Free Available sizes: 6.76 fl.oz / 33.8 fl.oz
INGREDIENTS; Water (Aqua) (Eau), Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, CocamidopropyI Hydroxysultaine, Sodium PCA, Myristamine Oxide, Glycerin ("Vegetable Oil), Nasturtium Officinaie (Watercress) Extract, Yucca Filamentosa Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Jasminum Officinaie (Jasmine) Extract, Polyquatemium-10, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids (*Apple Juice Amino Acids), Citric Acid ("Sweet Potato), Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional,
Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, ABBA Aromatherapy Fragrance (Parfum). continued >>

on 4/16/2010 4:54:00 PM

I bought this product after going to a beauty super-store. I asked them for a shampoo that would be good to soothe a dry, itchy scalp. They recommended this to "calm the scalp". It didn't do anything. Another waste of money. They did say I could return the product if it didn't work, but I forgot to save the receipt :-(

Oh wow...i can't believe what a horrible waste of money this is!!!! I was recommended this to easy my psoriasis, which isn't terrible at all. This is my first "professional" shampoo. I used it the first time and left this thick, oily, greasy film on my hair that made it impossible to manage!!! Even my friends were weirded out by how stiff and gross it looked!! Needless to say I can't return it nor use it. Now trying a new shampoo. What a waste.

on 7/19/2010 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Wow, this baby gets no love.

Well, I had gone recently through a reactive phase (had to get steroid shot and cream). Even my previously okay hair products --I'm naturally curly and tend to use mostly natural lines--started giving me itchies and scaly scalp patches.

So, I got this. So soothing. No itchies. My scalp patches healed. I used this in combo with the leave-in Pure Gentle and the Pure Style Gel and my natural curls looked and felt great. Really moisturized and soft.

Well, I'm reordering some to keep in my hair products/lines rotation. I didn't find a weird film in my hair, but this IS a gentle lowpoo, which means it won't strip hair. It won't squeak. :D

My dry and porous curls liked it. My scalp and neck loved it.

on 8/15/2010 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was looking for a SLS-free shampoo and went to my local beauty supply store. Abba was the only reasonably priced brand AND had a buy one get one half off sale. I really love the clean, fresh scent of the aloe vera in this shampoo. I did notice a sort of "filminess" in my hair after the first few times I used it, but after a few weeks of my Abba routine, my hair feels very healthy and shiny. I think the filminess was due to my hair getting used to the shift from using sulfates to my new shampoo. I would recommend this shampoo if you're looking for a gentle sulfate free shampoo and if you don't mind the $25 price tag for the 34 oz bottle. It was a splurge, and I think it's worth it for how shiny and healthy my hair's looking!

on 8/26/2010 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My scalp has been enraged lately....bumpy, itchy, and my hair appears to be thinning! Yikes. I usually use Pureology, but a stylist at Ulta steered me towards this shampoo to use while my scalp is angry. Despite the negative reviews, I really like this stuff. I followed the directions and let it sit on my hair for a minute after a thorough scrub, and when I rinsed, my hair felt baby soft and silky. I have noticed, though, with more "natural" products like ABBA and Pureology, that you have to give your hair a detox period before you see the benefits. It is almost as if the hair is purging the junk from other products before it can start working. This shampoo smells really light and clean, and lathers really well. Good stuff!

Edit: This worked well for a few weeks, and then my hair started to get really funky, and my scalp started to break out again.

Edit Again: So, I'm back to this stuff again....NOTHING else has been working for my poor scalp! I've had better luck using this in conjunction with a weekly clarifying session with another shampoo/conditioner. It seems to provide the necessary break/deep cleaning required to keep this shampoo working more efficiently. I've upped the lippie back to a 4 from a 2, but we shall see....

3rd Edit...and final Edit: Same problem again, except worse this time. Will not buy ever again.....

Popular Shampoos