Egg Bomb

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 8/8/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ι tried the egg bomb for the first time a couple of days ago; mixed a whiped egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. At this point the mix was sticky and smelled like pastry dough.
Applied on thick, curly, dry hair and didin't drip, became hard to the touch almost right away. Left it for an hour and rinsed with cold water which was easier than I expected. Shampooed and used moisturising conditioner. Let air dry.
Other that some extra body I didn't notice any difference, my hair wasn't any softer or more manageable. I'm not impressed but was worth a try.

on 9/19/2014 1:16:00 PM

Alas, did nothing for my frizzy, wavy, henna-dyed hair. Clarified my hair, split it into two sections, let dry. Applied recipe as described above (egg yolk, olive oil, honey), left in for an hour.
Rinsed well, then shampooed my entire head and conditioned as usual. Let air dry.
Appearance: same both sides.
Feel/texture: same both sides.

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

I use one whole egg, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp EVOO and one cup of water. Mix well and pour on clean, dry hair. Wrap it in a towel for about 30 min and rinse with cool water. If I'm staying home, I rinse and leave it...If I'm going out, I shampoo and condition. My hair has never felt better! Also, MSM is a great supplement for soft, strong hair and nails. I do the rinse about once every other week as too much protein can be a bad thing (straw head lol)

on 9/26/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I, too, am a Lauren of the internet, and wish to disagree with my similarly named comrade below! :P

My hair was being crap. So frizzed out and fussy, that being outside and not having an umbrella handy if it rained was enough to trigger a mini panic attack. No serum or spray could keep it looking nice and lock out humidity. What more did it want? I was using a very gentle shampoo, salon conditioner, and oiling generously with avocado oil. Then I chanced upon this treatment and it hit me all at once: P R O T E I N! How could I have let it slip under my nose like this?

First, I tried this concoction on already shampooed and clarified hair, and used a whole egg instead of just the yolk, following the rest of the directions. The results were stunning. Shine like you wouldn't believe, and my hair needed only a little coaxing with flat iron to get straight (we're talking 5 minutes as opposed to 15). It rained the morning after, and as usual I doused myself in hairspray till I was coughing. It stayed beautifully shiny and smooth all day!

However, applying this way made it drip monstrously, and was much messier. For the next wash, I tried the original recipe on unwashed hair. Much, much easier to apply, and less smelly. I didn't notice as dramatic a difference, but I guess that is to be expected since the first treatment already did so much work. My hair is now shiny, and full of the GOOD kind of volume.. the kind that makes people say 'Wow, her hair is so lush!' versus 'Jeeze, look at all that hair!'. It's more humidity resistant than ever.

Like other reviewers noted, my hair felt a bit dried out after I shampooed it. But a good deep moisture mask is the perfect follow up and sorts things out nicely. This is absolutely a must-try if your routine has been lacking in protein treatments!

EDIT: I must mention, that the second time I used the mask, I indeed had the crunchy feel to my hair. Deep conditioner sorted it out okay, but my hair was still just a little poofier and more strawlike than I would have liked. The first treatment was that powerful by itself!

It seems to me that whether you love it or hate it depends completely upon whether or not your hair needs the protein. At any rate, a deep conditioner after this is a MUST!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've decided that eggs and my hair simply don't agree. I've tried this in many different combinations, with coconut oil, olive oil, honey, you name it. I always end up with greasy, stiff eggy smelling hair(this is after shampoo and conditioner) I have other natural masks that I use that work much better than this.

on 4/18/2013 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this hair mask after reading so many awesome reviews, but I was a tiny bit disappointed. Still, overall I was impressed - I think I was just hoping for too much. My hair does feel a bit healthier than it did before using this.

To start with, my hair is just a couple inches above waist-length in the back, and thicker than thick. To give you an idea, I've had so many hairdressers pick up less than a quarter of my hair and tell me, "You've got more hair right here than most people have on their entire head." I actually had to use five times the recipe - I tripled it to begin with but it was definitely not enough. I've dyed my hair maybe five times in the past few years, straighten it once or twice a week and am way overdue on a trim, so I did have a bit of damage.

It did feel disgusting during the application, but I didn't notice much of a smell. I applied, covered my hair and let it sit for about forty-five minutes. It did take a few minutes to rinse out before shampooing, and even though I'd brushed it before applying the egg bomb, it was the most knotted mess it's ever been while trying to shampoo and condition. After air-drying it was still pretty oily, so I washed and conditioned again and that fixed it.

Now that it's all dry and clean, I do notice a bit of difference. It does seem a bit healthier overall, and somehow my ends look and feel fuller. Aside from that I don't notice much difference in the overall feel or texture of my hair, but I suppose it wasn't too bad to start with and the egg bomb did essentially what it was supposed to. My hair feels stronger.

Used this as a protein treatment.
When I washed it then applied olive oil, rinsed, and cut ends. Wow, much thicker. Ends are thick, not flimsy and see through. Natural shine throughout hair (olive oil afterwards) much more volume and thickness througout hair, while still being bouncy. Any dryness left over from the shampooing was fixed with a teeny tiny bit of olive oil on dry bits, then brushed evenly to blend the textures. Really like this!

on 9/18/2010 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I modified the formula because of my bad experience with olive oil in hair masks before, (i.e. leaving a film, hard or impossible to wash out without harsh shampoos, clogging pores). Inspired by Siameselouise's version I mixed one yolk with honey in an equal amount and added a tablespoon of avocado oil. I put it on wet hair, just covering the bottom half of my hair. Left it for 30 min while soaking in a hot bath and then washed it out with a silicone free organic conditioner (Faith in Nature: Hemp and Meadowfoam Conditioner). While rinsing I was terrified and preparing for the worst. My hair felt kind of dry and sticky. Not a good detangler, especially if one is used to the instant slipperyness of silicone-laden products. It washed out easily though, no shampoo needed. I VERY carefully combed my hair, put it in a bun and went to sleep.
So, waking up, I released my hair, and let it air dry and most surprisingly -it looked fantastic! Soft, shiny, voluminous, bouncy and somewhat brightened. Wow! Everything I hope for in a hair mask and more! But most amazingly - my waves now formed those corkscrews I had as a child but never saw after I started to dye and generally mess with my hair at age 14. I've been on CG (curly girl method) for a couple of months and I believe this was the final boost my curls needed to find their true shape. I will certainly do this regularly from now on.

Words of caution from a more egg-experienced friend: Do not use egg masks in a sauna or try to rinse it out with hot water, it will harden and make a mess. Also take good care to really separate all the white from the egg or it will stick like glue and be very hard to wash out. Finally you are advised to make sure you cover your hair with plastic so this mask doesn't dry while working as that too will be very hard to wash out.

Also, all the comments on bad smell: If your eggs smell they have gone bad and you shouldn't use them at all, internally or externally.

Edit Jan 2012: This has not been as successful ( especially not for curl enhancement) with repeated use. Maybe my hair only likes this protein fix once every 6 months or so. I will stick to oils pure and mixed with conditioner only for more regular use

on 8/26/2009 12:14:00 PM

I have used this 2, two weeks in a row and I have to say I am impressed. My hair is ultra fine and color treated so its pretty damaged. After using this, my hair felt soft and silky. Its kind of messy to use but worth it. I'm off to my hair dresser on Friday and hopefully she will agree that my hair is in better condition too.