Egg Bomb

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 9/19/2014 1:16:00 PM

Alas, did nothing for my frizzy, wavy, henna-dyed hair. Clarified my hair, split it into two sections, let dry. Applied recipe as described above (egg yolk, olive oil, honey), left in for an hour.
Rinsed well, then shampooed my entire head and conditioned as usual. Let air dry.
Appearance: same both sides.
Feel/texture: same both sides.

on 6/10/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

How I make mine:
2 Egg yolks
2 tablespoons of Avocado oil
1 Cup of water

Mixture will work for medium thick hair with length above bra strap. If longer or thicker you may need to adjust the amounts. Double everything, if that is too much next time subtract by 1.

Use an easy pour container. Beat eggs, add oil mix well then add water mixing well. Have old towel handy. Place head over sink (hair is dry), slowly pour mixture near scalp. Work mixture into scalp and add to another section. Repeat until scalp is covered. Now pour remaining mixture through rest of hair. You may need to lightly ring out your hair to prevent lots of dripping. Wrap hair in towel and leave on for at least 15 minutes but 30 is best. Shampoo and condition as normal.

I've tried lots of different homemade recipes for my hair. Nothing has ever worked as great as this one. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. As a bonus the eggs help hair grow stronger, conditions the hair to help with breakage, helps prevent hair loss and helps maintain a healthy scalp.

The oil used can penetrate the hair shaft adding moisture. The nutrients in avocado oil promotes healthy cell growth.

The water helps for a easier rinse out to makes everything easy to distribute.

I'm very pleased with this treatment and I use it once a week. It is cost effective and after just 5 treatments I can see a difference in my hair.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

*Update: The day after reviewing this I did another mask. I made it this time with one egg (including the white) and 2tsp of honey instead of 1tbsp. It worked just as well, actually better I think - easier to spread and stayed wet in my hair longer. At this point it was possibly overkill, but although my hair needs moisture right now I feel like it also still needed a bit more protein just to be sure the strands had strength. From now on I'll likely make it this way, playing with the amount of honey, using it on an as-needed basis.

The majority of recipes listed in reviews here and in blogs contain egg yolk, oil(s) of some kind, yogurt, and/or honey. Many will list this as a moisturizing mask. My review is for a paired down version and before I continue on I must clarify that ALL of these masks (regardless of the ingredients that are added with the egg) are PROTEIN masks. Adding other moisturizing ingredients simply helps to minimize the straw-like result that straight protein can cause. Please TEST YOUR HAIR to see if it is in need of protein. In my case, signs of protein deficiency are lots of frizziness along with hair still being shiny (both when wet and when dry, but very noticeable when wet and scrunching); hair has a hard time holding onto moisture and can start feeling dry at the ends/lengths the longer I go without washing it; it will not hold its natural curl properly; hair will be too soft and mushy in the shower; and if I take a few shed strands (or ones still attached to my head - no more than 3 strands) and stretch them, they will stretch and stretch and then snap or remain at that stretched out length - balanced hair will return to its original length. So if your hair sounds like it's in need of some protein, this is worth trying out.

Recipe:
As stated above, most recipes contain egg yolk, oil, honey, and/or yogurt. I cowash my hair (wash with conditioner) and am trying to minimize clarifying to no more than once a month, while I know that I could need protein treatments more often. cowashing alone will not remove the oil without likely leaving residue behind, so I decided to make my recipe very clean:
* 2 egg yolks
* 1tbsp of raw honey
Both of these ingredients wash out in water alone, meaning this is a mask I can use even on days I do not wash my hair. The egg acts as the protein component while the honey acts as a humectant, which helps to draw moisture into the hair. Of the excluded ingredients, oil will mostly act as a moisture sealant and softener to the hair (an oil like coconut would have the easiest time absorbing into the hair, and coconut oil is a great choice if you are very much in need of protein as it can help the hair keep protein within the strands as opposed to simply coating the hair to prevent water evaporation) while yogurt will provide very mild protein and some softening to the hair.
Eliminating the oil and yogurt from the mixture leaves the mask runny and sticky in the hair. It also definitely smells pretty gross because of the eggs, but it doesn't linger in the hair (perhaps try some essential oils if the smell is too strong, although I'm not sure how those scents would mix together).

Performance:
Again, to clarify, my hair was in very dire need of protein. I've concluded that I have low to normal porosity hair. But because my strands are mostly fine to medium, they can easily become overmoisturized and thus lack protein. This results in high porosity symptoms, mostly hair that dries faster and hair that doesn't hold onto moisture. So I decided to whip some of this mask up, and applied it to my hair from scalp to tip. It's not going to comb through the hair so sectioning hair will make it easier to apply evenly (which I will do next time!). After applying, baggy or wrap the hair in some saran wrap or an actual plasticy hair cap, then put a towel on over that to help add warmth to the hair so that everything absorbs better into the hair (if you do not have lower porosity hair you may not need to do this). I let mine sit on my hair for an hour because of how much protein my hair was needing, and then rinsed it out in the shower and followed up with conditioner. I did use warm/almost hot water and had no "cooking" issues. I've used straight egg as a mask before and rinsed with hot water and have never had that issue. Applied some conditioner as a leave-in after scrunching with a tshirt. My hair took much longer to fully dry, it felt much much stronger in the shower, but it also felt a bit tangly. When tshirt-drying it I saw that there was almost no frizz like there was my last wash but my hair did not spiral curl. I do know that my hair has some build-up though so that is likely affecting the curl and weight of my hair, and I probably just need some more protein treatments.

Bang for your Buck:
Regardless of what you decide to put into your mask, it's a very price-friendly DIY regardless of how often it's used.

Final Consensus:
Cowashing has taught me that it takes work to get hair to be balanced and to look its best and perform its best. My version of this mask is a great way to add protein when my hair needs it and is definitely something that I will be using as-needed. But ONLY for protein purposes. I'll likely try for a bi-weekly to monthly use once my hair is more balanced, although weekly would be fine.
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5 (not really applicable here though)
* Repurchase: Yes

Used this as a protein treatment.
When I washed it then applied olive oil, rinsed, and cut ends. Wow, much thicker. Ends are thick, not flimsy and see through. Natural shine throughout hair (olive oil afterwards) much more volume and thickness througout hair, while still being bouncy. Any dryness left over from the shampooing was fixed with a teeny tiny bit of olive oil on dry bits, then brushed evenly to blend the textures. Really like this!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG LOVE. My hair looks super pretty. I just bombed my hair after dying it with super drying boxed color *cough* Clairol w/ Balsam *cough* a couple of days ago. Lo and behold my hair is softer and shinier than it was before. It even made it look cuter in a pony. I can't stop touching my hair. If this was a marketed product I could totally be its spokeswoman because I have nothing but good things to say about this.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I tried this and I think it does improve hair condition, however in my case the honey has a tendency to make my long hair get sticky and prone to getting tangled, I think I have to alter the formula a bit and use less honey. Also, I am a little paranoid about using olive oil because I have skin which can break out if exposed to the wrong things and I'm afraid to get oil on on or near my face. I didnt have any problems this time, I did try to keep the concoction strictly on my hair and not on my facial skin, but it made me nervous. Maybe next time I'll just use the egg yolk by itself? LOL

on 6/20/2009 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Just tried the egg bomb yesterday night, wasn't able to wash out all of the oil with 2 shampoos, but my hair still looks and feels fantastic! Supermodel hair, looks very sleek and healthy. :)

on 3/22/2009 10:37:00 PM

My 1st review on MUA! Just discovered the site recently, & I'm spending way too much time catching up with all the wonderful reviews! Background: fine hair, about 40% gray now (with original dark brown). The gray is coarser, & depending on the humidity, can be frizzy. Do not color or process, but can get dry due to daily blowdry. Anyway, with some apprehension, did this treatment tonight. WOW! Not incredibly messy since it stays put in your hair once you coat it. I also used the suggestion for coating with an additional heaping teaspoon of mayo. I left it on for 30 min. Very easy to shampoo out (I was worried about "poaching" the egg solution!). After shampooing, no smell noted. I'm letting it air dry tonight, but it feels very soft. Looking forward to styling in the morning (I'll shower but not shampoo, use some hoarded Neutrogena conditioning mousse). Definitely plan to make this part of my weekend ritual. Keep up the good work!