Egg Bomb

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
 Egg Bomb

4.3

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 8/8/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ι tried the egg bomb for the first time a couple of days ago; mixed a whiped egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. At this point the mix was sticky and smelled like pastry dough.
Applied on thick, curly, dry hair and didin't drip, became hard to the touch almost right away. Left it for an hour and rinsed with cold water which was easier than I expected. Shampooed and used moisturising conditioner. Let air dry.
Other that some extra body I didn't notice any difference, my hair wasn't any softer or more manageable. I'm not impressed but was worth a try.

on 11/14/2013 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

A nice concoction of some of nature's perfect products!
Egg, honey and olive oil are wonderful for hair and skincare. Using organic eggs is important as they have more benefits.

For hair, I mix egg yolks (no whites) and raw honey and whip it up. I also add some apricot kernel, olive or coconut oil to this mix and apply it to the hair and scalp. It is a very sticky mix and can be exasperating to work with, but patience is the key. For maximum benefits, leave the mix on the hair for 60 minutes or longer. I know of some people who leave this mask overnight too, but I am hesitant to try that!

Wash off with cold water, as cold as one can tolerate. Using warm water may cook the egg - especially if some egg white has crept in and cause bits and pieces of egg to cling to the hair (yuck!). Rinse or wash off with a rosemary-lavender diffusion or shikakai. The hair is left clean, soft and very shiny. It also adds tons of volume to the hair. As is, I have voluminous hair and don't need the extra volume.

Honey is essential to give moisture to the hair. An egg-only mask will be somewhat drying to the hair. Note that egg whites can also be applied to the hair and they are probably as beneficial, but they smell and scramble too! Egg yolk is high in fat and therefore does not scramble as easily as the whites. One more thing to note is to remove the thick, lumpy, white thread that connects the yolk and egg white, inside the egg (chalaza?). That is super-smelly and it cooks in even lukewarm water and sticks to the hair.

For skin, use the egg-white and apply on the forehead and nose areas. It tightens the skin and cleanses out any blackheads.

The humble egg is a perfect nature food for health and beauty!

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

on 6/10/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

How I make mine:
2 Egg yolks
2 tablespoons of Avocado oil
1 Cup of water

Mixture will work for medium thick hair with length above bra strap. If longer or thicker you may need to adjust the amounts. Double everything, if that is too much next time subtract by 1.

Use an easy pour container. Beat eggs, add oil mix well then add water mixing well. Have old towel handy. Place head over sink (hair is dry), slowly pour mixture near scalp. Work mixture into scalp and add to another section. Repeat until scalp is covered. Now pour remaining mixture through rest of hair. You may need to lightly ring out your hair to prevent lots of dripping. Wrap hair in towel and leave on for at least 15 minutes but 30 is best. Shampoo and condition as normal.

I've tried lots of different homemade recipes for my hair. Nothing has ever worked as great as this one. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. As a bonus the eggs help hair grow stronger, conditions the hair to help with breakage, helps prevent hair loss and helps maintain a healthy scalp.

The oil used can penetrate the hair shaft adding moisture. The nutrients in avocado oil promotes healthy cell growth.

The water helps for a easier rinse out to makes everything easy to distribute.

I'm very pleased with this treatment and I use it once a week. It is cost effective and after just 5 treatments I can see a difference in my hair.

on 9/18/2010 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I modified the formula because of my bad experience with olive oil in hair masks before, (i.e. leaving a film, hard or impossible to wash out without harsh shampoos, clogging pores). Inspired by Siameselouise's version I mixed one yolk with honey in an equal amount and added a tablespoon of avocado oil. I put it on wet hair, just covering the bottom half of my hair. Left it for 30 min while soaking in a hot bath and then washed it out with a silicone free organic conditioner (Faith in Nature: Hemp and Meadowfoam Conditioner). While rinsing I was terrified and preparing for the worst. My hair felt kind of dry and sticky. Not a good detangler, especially if one is used to the instant slipperyness of silicone-laden products. It washed out easily though, no shampoo needed. I VERY carefully combed my hair, put it in a bun and went to sleep.
So, waking up, I released my hair, and let it air dry and most surprisingly -it looked fantastic! Soft, shiny, voluminous, bouncy and somewhat brightened. Wow! Everything I hope for in a hair mask and more! But most amazingly - my waves now formed those corkscrews I had as a child but never saw after I started to dye and generally mess with my hair at age 14. I've been on CG (curly girl method) for a couple of months and I believe this was the final boost my curls needed to find their true shape. I will certainly do this regularly from now on.

Words of caution from a more egg-experienced friend: Do not use egg masks in a sauna or try to rinse it out with hot water, it will harden and make a mess. Also take good care to really separate all the white from the egg or it will stick like glue and be very hard to wash out. Finally you are advised to make sure you cover your hair with plastic so this mask doesn't dry while working as that too will be very hard to wash out.

Also, all the comments on bad smell: If your eggs smell they have gone bad and you shouldn't use them at all, internally or externally.

Edit Jan 2012: This has not been as successful ( especially not for curl enhancement) with repeated use. Maybe my hair only likes this protein fix once every 6 months or so. I will stick to oils pure and mixed with conditioner only for more regular use

on 1/19/2010 1:26:00 PM

Let me stress that I'm a big fan of all natural, DIY concoctions--the wonders of old fashioned oatmeal alone sold me on the concept. However, the egg bomb just didn't do anything for me. My hair was the same after using it; only, it took three shampoos to get the olive oil out of my hair. My hair was grease city after using it, thus necessitating three shampoos.
There are two reasons I'm not making my score a one. This mixture won't truly harm anyone's hair in the long run, even if it doesn't work out. Since college, I've been extremely careful with my hair, avoiding coloring, overwashing, and any products that might be too harsh on it. So, it could be that it didn't work for me because I really didn't need it and it might benefit people whose hair was in more of a state of distress. So, I'm putting my review out here for people with pretty okay hair. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying this, but to just keep in mind that it might not be a one-size-fits-all solution.

on 8/11/2009 7:37:00 PM

I really didn't know what to expect when I tried this. I kind of figured that it would be slimy and messy and not stay on my head and smell bad. None of these things were true. The honey makes the mixture sticky enough to stay put and it was easy to apply. Can't beat the price either. It washed out very easily in the shower and didn't leave my hair the least bit greasy or smelly. It did leave it very soft and shiny. Wonderful, will be doing again and again and again. You have to try it!