Egg Bomb

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 25-29
 Egg Bomb

3.5

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 9/4/2016 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A homemade mask with such a high vote on MUA? I had to try it!
I wanted to try an egg mask for years and now I had the confirmation it's good. Except..it was the messiest mess ever on me.
It was fine until rinsing. It went away smoothly and fast. After shampooing, I realized a half handful of hair fell. REALLY? I didn't see any aesthetic improvement at all and my hair felt like straw until I did conditioner.
The smell was unbearable the whole time and the whole room now smells.Not to mention the bathroom. After shampooing twice, conditioning with a chamomille scented product, doing a macadamia mask and some pump of Revlon's Uniq, I still smell like crazy. It's disgusting. I'd like to put some perfume on hair but I'd like to avoid spraying basically pure alcohol on it.
I'm so sorry tho, I really wanted to like this and was all excited and ready for the experience. But it became a nightmare. I feel sorry for wasting two eggs.

on 8/8/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ι tried the egg bomb for the first time a couple of days ago; mixed a whiped egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. At this point the mix was sticky and smelled like pastry dough.
Applied on thick, curly, dry hair and didin't drip, became hard to the touch almost right away. Left it for an hour and rinsed with cold water which was easier than I expected. Shampooed and used moisturising conditioner. Let air dry.
Other that some extra body I didn't notice any difference, my hair wasn't any softer or more manageable. I'm not impressed but was worth a try.

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

on 8/11/2009 7:37:00 PM

I really didn't know what to expect when I tried this. I kind of figured that it would be slimy and messy and not stay on my head and smell bad. None of these things were true. The honey makes the mixture sticky enough to stay put and it was easy to apply. Can't beat the price either. It washed out very easily in the shower and didn't leave my hair the least bit greasy or smelly. It did leave it very soft and shiny. Wonderful, will be doing again and again and again. You have to try it!