Egg Bomb

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very long and thick, coarse, color-treated (double-process/permanent dye, wouldn't you know) hair, and I'm constantly searching for a perfect deep conditioner. Even though, at 37, I"m really pushing serious middle age, I want to recapture the super-soft, shiny brunette of my youth! I usually wash with a shampoo for dry/color-treated hair (I use both drugstore products as well as the high-end/from the hairdresser ones) and use a super-deep conditioner (one of those that you leave on for at least 3 min. before rinsing) and follow up with Aussie's leave-in conditioning mousse and a thermal-protection styling serum. Because I also heat-style (some kind of iron--either flat- or curling-; I know, I know, I'm a bad girl and a glutton for punishment), my hair really takes a beating and it needs all the TLC it can get. A friend told me about this recipe, which she calls "The Egg Bomb." Even though I was quite skeptical of the whole thing, I had to admit that her hair's lovely. She, too, abuses her own long hair, but it's super-soft and shiny. I agreed to "Bomb" my own hair one day when visiting her at her home. Here's the recipe:

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey (I think I added just a little more). In a seperate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. Since I have a lot of long hair (it's nearly to my bra strap), we doubled the recipe--that made the perfect ammount to completely saturate my hair. Leave the whole mixture on for 30 minutes. We wrapped my head in cling wrap (we didn't have a shower cap! I was praying that no unexpected visitors dropped in!) to avoid dripping, but I don't think that this stuff would really drip much, if any. For extra conditioning, my friend says that she occasionally slathers mayonnaise over her hair (on top of the Bomb mixture) for even more conditioning power. After 30 minutes, rinse in cool water; then shampoo and condition as usual.

This left my hair SUPER, SUPER-SOFT, SHINY, and MANAGEABLE!!! I even skipped my mousse and serum--my hair was that good! It hasn't been like this since I was probably 12!!! Despite the stickiness of this stuff, it really was easy to wash out--no scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing and negating the moisturizing of the treatment! I have been using L'Oreal's Pro Vive shampoo for dry/color-treated hair and their conditioner for women of color--I probably didn't really need it. I've been Bombing my head once a week/every couple of weeks, and it's never looked or felt better. Even my hairdresser has commented that it's in much better shape. The ingredients are cheap, and everyone probably has them on hand (even I usually do, and I really don't cook!) I recommend this HIGHLY to all!
Bombs away!

***Addendum: Hi all, and thanks to everybody who's messaged me about the Bomb! Since I'm MUA freshman, I'm only allotted 10 messages per day, so I'm not intentionally ignoring/snubbing anyone to whom I haven't yet responded! To answer the questions that several people have asked, 1.) Apply the emulsion to DRY, UNWASHED HAIR! I heard from a lovely lady in Italy who more correctly referred to this as a moisturizing pretreatment rather than a conditioner. 2.) After you've finished treating your hair, you will need to WASH, RATHER THAN RINSE, your hair. This mixture is tenacious, so just rinsing with water wouldn't work. However--paradoxically-- it does wash out easily (no need to break out the Comet!) and really doesn't leave your hair smelling of egg. (I made several people bury their noses in my hair, and they couldn't detect anything offensive. I myself haven't picked up any scent other than my shampoo.) 3.) Don't use the entire egg, just the YOLK. Using both it and the white will make the mixture too runny--my friend who shared the recipe with me says that it just won't work as well and will be, and I quote, "a big, slimey mess!"

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

There's a lot of hullabaloo that goes round about the egg bomb pre-shampoo mask, so here's how to use it properly (thank you to the original reviewer for the directions...i do know that on mobile that "most helpful" does not show up, however--so here's the quick rundown):

Mix:
3-4 tbsp EVOO
1-2 tsp honey

in a separate bowl:
1-2 egg yolks, beaten

(Adjust the measurements accordingly. I have bra-strap length, coarse, wurly hair. You may need more or less of a certain ing based on your hair...don't stress too much about it. The important part is following the instructions below.)

Add bowls together, stir until fully mixed.

Section DRY hair (as if blow drying) into at least 4 sections (due to stickiness of mixture. again, use your own judgement here.)
Add mixture to DRY, UNWASHED HAIR. Most importantly:
DRY HAIR. I recommend that you get into shower or bath for this step. The sort of "paint brush" a hair dresser uses for applying color is helpful here, but fingers are fine too! Honestly, i have used a fork before, little mermaid style...i have no shame. just slather that ish on however you can.
Put on shower cap if desired. DO NOT USE HEAT. IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO RINSE OUT.
Let mix sit for at least 30 min.
Rinse using COLD WATER.
COLD WATER. (if you have a detachable shower head...that will be awesome for this. and if not, i hope you have a friend who does, cos you will be very cold.)
NOT HOT WATER. This is important!
Shampoo and condition as per usual. or use the best ones you have...either way, you're finished with the egg bomb!

Admire your lovely locks.

on 12/29/2009 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Absof***inglutely awesome!

This stuff leaves my hair feeling like silk!

I must say that I have altered the recipe a little bit. I mix 3 egg yellows, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and a spoonful of Moroccan oil, some honey. You have to bring the egg yolk to room temperature otherwise it will solidify the coconut oil...so remember that. I coat every section of my hair from roots to the tip with this stuff using a hair-coloring brush. I guess that's why I need a lot of it. I put saran wrap (to avoid dripping) around my hair..imagine that :-) and leave it on for 20-30 minutes, wash and condition, blow dry. Don't use hot water when rinsing it out...you may have scrambled egg in the shower, Lol.

My hair looks and feels amazing....I can't stop touching my hair. Also it stays like that longer than normal shampooing.

I don't waste the egg white...I make an omelet with onions, green chilis, cilantro, salt, pepper. Hey, it's protein that your body could use for healthier hair! So why not?

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

on 8/1/2011 8:59:00 PM

Oh my gosh!
I made this mask with one egg yolk, a couple tbsp of olive oil (i don't really know the exact measurements but that seems about right) and some honey. Then I whisked everything together and had my mother smear this on the top of my head. I kept this on for about an hour and a half while I read and then rinsed it out with baking soda and water (my "shampoo") in the shower. I made sure I left some of the mask travel to my ends while I washed it out.
Not only did this make my hair soso soft, it also brought out my natural highlights. I don't think this is safe to do too often because of the egg's strong protein content, so I'm going to make this lovely mask a couple times a month before special occasions.

PS: don't throw out the egg whites! I put the egg whites on my face and then covered my skin with thin strips of toilet paper. When the toilet paper hardened (make sure it's totally solid! it might take a while) I peeled it off and my pores were clean! Much better than any other mask I've ever used. I've only done this once so I'm not sure if the results will be consistent, but I'll keep ya ladies updated.

on 8/21/2012 4:06:00 AM

This is my first ever review on Makeup Alley but the Egg Bomb was just so incredible I felt I had to spread the word. Basically Ė it really really worked!!

I have fine medium brown hair, and lots of it, that is naturally curly and frizzy. I have to blowdry it and/or straighten it every day itís so bad, which means I really damaged my hair over the years. I have tried everything in the past and spent a lot of money on it too, from Kerastase to Bumble and Bumble to Moroccan Hair Oil, to coconut or almond oils, and whilst itís all helped the situation nothing really made a dramatic difference. It unfortunately got so bad that my long hair grew so tangled and broken I could no longer get a brush through it, and I recently had to cut it to shoulder length. I now want to find a Ďprevention rather than cureí method to avoid every having that bad condition hair again, as my hair is already getting split ends and growing tangled and dry again. If anyone else is in this situation I would get over the weirdness of putting egg yolks in your hair, and try this...

I mixed 2 egg yolks with 1 tbsp of honey, then added to 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp of olive oil. I mixed it all up and applied the gunk to my hair with the help of a spoon, massaging it into my scalp and hair length. I made sure my ends were really coated. Itís quite messy and drippy, if you think itís too runny then add more honey as thatís what makes it stick to your hair. Then I tied it up (didnít have a shower cap but this probably would have been useful!) and left it in there for about an hour. My hair hardened and grew crispy, and I smelt like a coconutty egg..I grew a bit worried at this point. But then I washed it out with lukewarm water, and shampooed and conditioned as normal. I let it air-dry till it was 90% dry then finished it off with a quick blow dry and wow! My hair is the softest, shiniest and yet still volumised and bouncy I have EVER seen it. It was so shiny my hair was literally reflecting light, and so soft I can run my fingers through it with ease. I canít remember ever having hair like this.

The best thing is you know exactly what youíve put in your hair and itís so cheap to make. I would really recommend the coconut oil addition as it smells nice and kind of masks the eggy scent, which I have to admit is a bit strong. Iíve taken note not to apply this too often because of the excess protein, so will wait a few weeks till the next Ďbomb sessioní. I would also definitely do this before a big event if I wanted to have nice soft shiny hair. Thanks to the creators, my only wish is that Iíd tried this earlier!

on 10/13/2014 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The egg bomb works really well with my thick, straight hair; it keeps split ends at bay. Used the recipe exactly as listed above (1 egg yolk, 2tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp honey). You might want to warm the honey (and/or oil) just a little to make it mix more easily. I saw another reviewer complain that it made her hair dry and stiff--but she used the whole egg! Egg whites are commonly used to dry up acne on your face--not something you want to use for moisturizing, so use the yolk only and you'll be fine.

on 3/26/2014 11:49:00 PM

WOW

I got a perm about 3 weeks ago and my hair was like straw. It was breaking, felt stiff and dry and brittle and the waves looked kinky (not like natural waves). I get a perm every 5-6 months but this one was more drying on my hair than most for some reason - maybe due to the crazy winter and the radiator/heaters in my apartment and office. In any case, I came across this mask online and tried it. I used

- 2 organic egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

I waited til the egg yolks were about room temperature since the coconut oil would have solidified if the egg yolks were cold. I whisked it all together and rubbed it in with my fingers all over my hair. I didn't use a hair cap. I didn't need one. There were no drips. The mask felt like it was caked onto my head and felt solid almost on my hair immediately. I left the mask on for an hour and then rinsed under warm water (nothing happened) and shampooed and conditioned as usual. After drying, my hair was

SUPER SHINY, SILKY AND THE CURLS WERE BEAUTIFUL CASCADING WAVES INSTEAD OF KINKY CURLS!

WOW WOW WOW

I will do this at least once a week!

on 10/9/2009 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

The egg bomb works! I used the original recipe of 1 egg yolk, 2 tbs olive oil, and 1 tsp honey, and it was plenty to cover my thick, shoulder-length hair. I covered it with a shower cap and used the blow dryer to heat it up for a little while after I put it on. I ended up leaving it in overnight because I was too tired to wash and style it by the time I put it in. My boyfriend was over when I had it in, and I was telling him the ingredients and he said, "That sounds expensive!" I laughed and told him it was homemade so, in fact, it was dirt cheap. It actually works better than expensive products too. The next morning when I washed and styled my hair, it was extra soft and shiny. I'll definitely use this again especially since I have been switching to all natural and organic products.

I love homemade beauty. This worked great on my hair. I will do this once a week from now on. My hair is fine, I bleach my base every 3 weeks so its not the healthiest. This helped with my baby hair breakage around my hair line. I can feel the difference. I used (2 egg yolks, 2 tsp honey, 1 tbsp evoo, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp castor oil, half avocado left on for hour with saran wrap then shampooed and conditioned like normal) next time I will use a riper avocado though bc it was a little chunky and made it a little difficult to rinse out.

Update 9/21/09:
I realized there is so much protein in this mask that I've been having breakage. Too much protein will make your hair brittle and snap off. Make sure you don't use this too often! Also use a moisturizing mask afterwards!