Egg Bomb

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 9/19/2014 1:16:00 PM

Alas, did nothing for my frizzy, wavy, henna-dyed hair. Clarified my hair, split it into two sections, let dry. Applied recipe as described above (egg yolk, olive oil, honey), left in for an hour.
Rinsed well, then shampooed my entire head and conditioned as usual. Let air dry.
Appearance: same both sides.
Feel/texture: same both sides.

on 9/17/2014 1:02:00 PM

I put 2 eggs in my hair it's color treated with a few face framing highlights but it's in great shape. When I go to the salon I always buy what my stylist suggest because who better than him so I buy high end shampoo and conditioner. I'm always reading the DIY for hair care and what would make hair soft smooth or just shiny. The egg was horrible I put 2 eggs on dry unwashed hair and it took me 5 washes and finally my hair felt normal. My hair is naturally soft and very shiny so I don't know why I continue to do these DIY that I read are wonderful. What works for one may not work for another and I'm proof. My hair looks best when I apply little product if not any basically I wash every 2-or more days and air dry. Here I go rambling sorry ladies I just wanted to say it didn't work for me.

on 3/26/2014 11:49:00 PM

WOW

I got a perm about 3 weeks ago and my hair was like straw. It was breaking, felt stiff and dry and brittle and the waves looked kinky (not like natural waves). I get a perm every 5-6 months but this one was more drying on my hair than most for some reason - maybe due to the crazy winter and the radiator/heaters in my apartment and office. In any case, I came across this mask online and tried it. I used

- 2 organic egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

I waited til the egg yolks were about room temperature since the coconut oil would have solidified if the egg yolks were cold. I whisked it all together and rubbed it in with my fingers all over my hair. I didn't use a hair cap. I didn't need one. There were no drips. The mask felt like it was caked onto my head and felt solid almost on my hair immediately. I left the mask on for an hour and then rinsed under warm water (nothing happened) and shampooed and conditioned as usual. After drying, my hair was

SUPER SHINY, SILKY AND THE CURLS WERE BEAUTIFUL CASCADING WAVES INSTEAD OF KINKY CURLS!

WOW WOW WOW

I will do this at least once a week!

on 11/14/2013 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

A nice concoction of some of nature's perfect products!
Egg, honey and olive oil are wonderful for hair and skincare. Using organic eggs is important as they have more benefits.

For hair, I mix egg yolks (no whites) and raw honey and whip it up. I also add some apricot kernel, olive or coconut oil to this mix and apply it to the hair and scalp. It is a very sticky mix and can be exasperating to work with, but patience is the key. For maximum benefits, leave the mix on the hair for 60 minutes or longer. I know of some people who leave this mask overnight too, but I am hesitant to try that!

Wash off with cold water, as cold as one can tolerate. Using warm water may cook the egg - especially if some egg white has crept in and cause bits and pieces of egg to cling to the hair (yuck!). Rinse or wash off with a rosemary-lavender diffusion or shikakai. The hair is left clean, soft and very shiny. It also adds tons of volume to the hair. As is, I have voluminous hair and don't need the extra volume.

Honey is essential to give moisture to the hair. An egg-only mask will be somewhat drying to the hair. Note that egg whites can also be applied to the hair and they are probably as beneficial, but they smell and scramble too! Egg yolk is high in fat and therefore does not scramble as easily as the whites. One more thing to note is to remove the thick, lumpy, white thread that connects the yolk and egg white, inside the egg (chalaza?). That is super-smelly and it cooks in even lukewarm water and sticks to the hair.

For skin, use the egg-white and apply on the forehead and nose areas. It tightens the skin and cleanses out any blackheads.

The humble egg is a perfect nature food for health and beauty!

on 6/10/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

How I make mine:
2 Egg yolks
2 tablespoons of Avocado oil
1 Cup of water

Mixture will work for medium thick hair with length above bra strap. If longer or thicker you may need to adjust the amounts. Double everything, if that is too much next time subtract by 1.

Use an easy pour container. Beat eggs, add oil mix well then add water mixing well. Have old towel handy. Place head over sink (hair is dry), slowly pour mixture near scalp. Work mixture into scalp and add to another section. Repeat until scalp is covered. Now pour remaining mixture through rest of hair. You may need to lightly ring out your hair to prevent lots of dripping. Wrap hair in towel and leave on for at least 15 minutes but 30 is best. Shampoo and condition as normal.

I've tried lots of different homemade recipes for my hair. Nothing has ever worked as great as this one. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. As a bonus the eggs help hair grow stronger, conditions the hair to help with breakage, helps prevent hair loss and helps maintain a healthy scalp.

The oil used can penetrate the hair shaft adding moisture. The nutrients in avocado oil promotes healthy cell growth.

The water helps for a easier rinse out to makes everything easy to distribute.

I'm very pleased with this treatment and I use it once a week. It is cost effective and after just 5 treatments I can see a difference in my hair.

on 11/9/2012 7:51:00 PM

I think this was a good treatment but oddly enough it made my hair curly! I was not expecting that. There was a little bit of lingering egg smell which kind of grossed me out but I definitely think ill try this again. Noticed increased shine and strength.

on 3/12/2011 10:18:00 AM

I have thin, breaking, frizzy, shoulder length hair. After spending a small fortune on various deep conditioners, with unsatisfactory results, I remembered using eggs and mayo in high school and decided to give that a try again.
I mixed two egg yolks, 1 generous Tbsp of mayo, a little shy of 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and a 2 Tbsp of honey. I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo then applied the mixture. I covered my hair with plastic, and covered that with a towel, and hung out for twenty minutes or so.
I rinsed the mixture out (and I used warm/hot water with no problems). Then I washed with my regular shampoo and conditioner.
Like someone else posted, I was a little worried because my hair felt a little sticky. No worries, once my hair was dry I was in love. My hair is smooth, soft, and very shiny. I have very dark brown hair and this made my hair very bright and brought out my natural highlights. I will definitely keep using this!

on 2/16/2011 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I do this once every week, but my recipe is slightly different and I don't shampoo it out. I use 3 egg yolks, a few squirts of the GVP Conditioning balm and 6 drops of rosemary essential oil. I mix these together thoroughly and it is just enough mixture to put in my armpit length very thick curly hair from scalp to ends. I apply and leave on for 2 hours under a shower cap and a heating pad. I fill up the tub with hot water (a tub bath is not a tub bath unless the water is hot, and I've never had the egg yolk cook in the water) and mermaid soak it swaying my hair around gently in the water for about 10 minutes. That's it! I squeeze my hair until it's not dripping wet, and wide-toothed comb all tangles out. It feels thicker, but not the least bit greasy and detangling is not a problem. I might have some bits of white egg stuff left (or maybe it's bits of conditioning balm, idk) from not separating the eggs very well, but they easily comb out. I airdry my hair after squeezing it with a towel to get as much moisture out as I am able, and have very little frizz. If you tried this with olive oil and honey and it came out greasy, you could try doing it my way. I personally don't use honey because it contains peroxide which can cause haircolor to fade quicker, but if you want to use honey, you can heat up the honey first to destroy the peroxide effect. I just like my way better.

on 9/18/2010 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I modified the formula because of my bad experience with olive oil in hair masks before, (i.e. leaving a film, hard or impossible to wash out without harsh shampoos, clogging pores). Inspired by Siameselouise's version I mixed one yolk with honey in an equal amount and added a tablespoon of avocado oil. I put it on wet hair, just covering the bottom half of my hair. Left it for 30 min while soaking in a hot bath and then washed it out with a silicone free organic conditioner (Faith in Nature: Hemp and Meadowfoam Conditioner). While rinsing I was terrified and preparing for the worst. My hair felt kind of dry and sticky. Not a good detangler, especially if one is used to the instant slipperyness of silicone-laden products. It washed out easily though, no shampoo needed. I VERY carefully combed my hair, put it in a bun and went to sleep.
So, waking up, I released my hair, and let it air dry and most surprisingly -it looked fantastic! Soft, shiny, voluminous, bouncy and somewhat brightened. Wow! Everything I hope for in a hair mask and more! But most amazingly - my waves now formed those corkscrews I had as a child but never saw after I started to dye and generally mess with my hair at age 14. I've been on CG (curly girl method) for a couple of months and I believe this was the final boost my curls needed to find their true shape. I will certainly do this regularly from now on.

Words of caution from a more egg-experienced friend: Do not use egg masks in a sauna or try to rinse it out with hot water, it will harden and make a mess. Also take good care to really separate all the white from the egg or it will stick like glue and be very hard to wash out. Finally you are advised to make sure you cover your hair with plastic so this mask doesn't dry while working as that too will be very hard to wash out.

Also, all the comments on bad smell: If your eggs smell they have gone bad and you shouldn't use them at all, internally or externally.

Edit Jan 2012: This has not been as successful ( especially not for curl enhancement) with repeated use. Maybe my hair only likes this protein fix once every 6 months or so. I will stick to oils pure and mixed with conditioner only for more regular use

First off, sorry to be the voice of discontent. I was excited to try this. My hair is medium length, not in bad shape, but we can always use something to make it look better. I followed the recipe to a tee. I am used to coloring my hair at home, so I am used to applying liquid solutions, but the egg bomb seemed extra messy. The smell was strong. I used regular eggs, the omega 3 kind, and I would not say I never noticed a strong smell, but even after washing it three times, I could still smell it. The result was okay, nothing major. Considering the hassle and the benefit, I will not be doing this again.