Egg Bomb

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

I loved this hair mask! I have shoulder length, curly hair that is very dry. The egg worked very nicely. The only thing I didn't like was the smell, but that was to be expected. My hair looks shinier, and it feels stronger. I have a few friends who have tried it, and they've all loved it! Some add mayonnaise, bananas, or a mixture of different oils. Even honey. I think different things work for different people, but this definitely worked for me. It will feel a little stiff after a while, but that's what the egg does. Rinse it off with cold water, and some non sulfate shampoo and you should be good to go.

on 7/17/2014 4:28:00 AM

As I regularly fork out loads for salon treatments in an attempt to salvage my bleached, double processed, flat iron battered hair I was excited to try this out. Having said that I was quite sceptical as I haven't really got much experience in DIY beauty. The mixture I used is as follows:
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

I shampooed and thoroughly towel dried my hair first (didn't use conditioner). Slathered the mixture on, didn't find the smell too offensive and it coated my hair nicely. I wrapped it in cling film and put a shower cap over it. The heat from my head made it drip like crazy, I was forever wiping my neck and face! I think next time I will apply on dry hair to see if that helps with this. I let it sit for 1 hour and then shampooed and conditioned as normal with lukewarm water.

I was initially a bit concerned as it did feel quite straw like as I was rinsing it out. However, once it was shampooed and blow dried....I was AMAZED at the results!! My hair had a gorgeous shine to it (no small feat for bleached hair) and was so soft and lovely to the touch. It was much easier to blow dry and the straighteners just glided through it. There was virtually no frizz.

I have to say this is as good, if not better than the expensive salon treatments I buy. I am so impressed, I will definitely be doing this treatment once a week!

on 9/26/2013 4:15:00 PM

I agree with several of the other writers here. I, too, love finding homemade, do-it-yourself beauty remedies on the internet. I tried several different ones involving concotions of the same ingredients, in different quantities: eggs, mayo, olive oil, honey, etc. NONE of the various concotions did anything noticeably beneficial to my hair BUT most of them smelled bad and made a great mess in the process. Some of them made my hair smell bad, others made it crunchy. Forget it, I am better off continuing my search for a store-bought deep conditioning mask.

I did this to my hair this morning (2 eggs and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Left on 30 min) and didn't notice any change in my hair. I used brown eggs too. But since it's a natural thing and can't damage my hair I'll for sure do it again.

on 11/26/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was thinking of buying one of the expensive protein treatments, but I've been reading all the positive reviews in here and I thought I'd give the egg bomb a try. I have dark auburn, long, wavy hair which is in need of some serious TLC, since I have been coloring it and usually wearing it straight for the past 10 years, leaving me with some seriously brittle ends. I doubled the recipe and it came out a nice, creamy mixture which wasn't runny. My egg bomb didn't smell like egg at all, probably because I used top quality olive oil and thyme honey, which smells wonderful and actually gave the mask a subttle thyme scent - the perk of living in Greece is you can get top quality natural products like honey, oil and eggs at ridiculous prices. Anyway, I left it on my hair for about an hour, then rinsed it with lukewarm water, shampooed and conditioned as usual. The result : Incredibly glossy, full and soft hair! I can even run my fingers through it and don't feel it break anymore. . I will not claim that this mask can cure your split ends and breakages because it can't (only a good trim can!) but if you want to avoid having your hair cut and still want it to look and feel its best, the egg bomb is the way to go.

I have shoulder length hair, I dye the roots every month or so, my hair is very oily at the roots and dry on the bottom half cuz of an old bleach I got last spring. Winter is (almost) back and my hair is in poor health : itís dry and harsh, and it breaks easily. Iíve been thinking about buying one of the expensive Kerastase treatment but thought I had nothing to lose by trying the egg bomb first, if not 1-2$ worth of ingredients I already had in my kitchen. I did the following mix : 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 drops of lavender oil. My first impression was regarding the smell; you couldnít smell the egg at all! It was a nice olive oil / lavender smell. I applied the egg bomb with a dye brush on dry, unwashed hair. The product was making my hair very, VERY sticky, but I eventually found the trick to brush my hair up while applying the egg bomb so my hair would sit on top of my head once done. Unfortunately, I ran out of product and it was my last egg (!) so Iíve put the egg bomb only on the half end of my hair and neglected the roots. I covered with a plastic cap and let it rest for 2h. The smell changed a bit during the 2nd hour; it was not disgusting but you could smell the yolk a bit. I washed it out with 1 good shampoo (it was surprisingly easy to rince!) and blowdried my hair to see if it would be as harsh as usual... itís not! The ends are smoother! My plan is to double my initial recipe (I may try without honey to see if the mix is easier to apply), soak my hair 2x week and let hair dry. I will do so until Iím satisfied with the results, then keep going 1x week. I will update this review in a few weeks / months depending on the results. Iím putting Kerastase on hold for now. // I gave 4 lippies to see if I'm gonna see a significant improvement in my hair over the next few weeks, and then perhaps increase to 5.

This hair mask is really the BOMB , I have used it for more than 14 years so far :) ,I have very long (past my waist ) , thick hair ..It is on the "straight" side but so dry and frizzy so it is a nightmare to manage with this length and thickness ..Yes, It must be used on dry ,unwashed hair , I put an old cheap plastic shower cap on and leave it for about 45 minutes , then wash, shampoo and condition as usual ..Don't be afraid of the smell , honestly it will disappear ..I don't add honey , just some olive oil and two eggs ..I use the whole egg though it makes it a bit runny but I can handle the mess ...

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wow!
First review for me. . . .I'm THRILLED with how this simple, sticky mess made my hair so silky. I used the basic ingredients, doubled for my longer hair. I was really nervous the mixture would leave my hair weighted down and oily, but no siree. It did take a little time to wash out, but a good, thorough shampooing did the trick. I left my regular conditioner in for several minutes, then rinsed. Blew dry as usual, and went to bed.
Got up this morning, and I'm loving my hair! It's not at all oily or weighted, just sleek and shiny. I keep running my fingers through it.
This works, Gals!!

on 1/19/2010 1:26:00 PM

Let me stress that I'm a big fan of all natural, DIY concoctions--the wonders of old fashioned oatmeal alone sold me on the concept. However, the egg bomb just didn't do anything for me. My hair was the same after using it; only, it took three shampoos to get the olive oil out of my hair. My hair was grease city after using it, thus necessitating three shampoos.
There are two reasons I'm not making my score a one. This mixture won't truly harm anyone's hair in the long run, even if it doesn't work out. Since college, I've been extremely careful with my hair, avoiding coloring, overwashing, and any products that might be too harsh on it. So, it could be that it didn't work for me because I really didn't need it and it might benefit people whose hair was in more of a state of distress. So, I'm putting my review out here for people with pretty okay hair. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying this, but to just keep in mind that it might not be a one-size-fits-all solution.

on 12/29/2009 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Absof***inglutely awesome!

This stuff leaves my hair feeling like silk!

I must say that I have altered the recipe a little bit. I mix 3 egg yellows, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and a spoonful of Moroccan oil, some honey. You have to bring the egg yolk to room temperature otherwise it will solidify the coconut oil...so remember that. I coat every section of my hair from roots to the tip with this stuff using a hair-coloring brush. I guess that's why I need a lot of it. I put saran wrap (to avoid dripping) around my hair..imagine that :-) and leave it on for 20-30 minutes, wash and condition, blow dry. Don't use hot water when rinsing it out...you may have scrambled egg in the shower, Lol.

My hair looks and feels amazing....I can't stop touching my hair. Also it stays like that longer than normal shampooing.

I don't waste the egg white...I make an omelet with onions, green chilis, cilantro, salt, pepper. Hey, it's protein that your body could use for healthier hair! So why not?