Egg Bomb

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 2/1/2017 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Firstly, I have tried this and whenever I do i get TONS of compliments on my hair for days.

I've been reading through some of the reviews: MOST of the people who found this mask horrible seemed to be using the WHOLE egg. For petes sake, do NOT use the whole egg, ONLY use the YOLK.

This is a wonderful mask, I personally make it like this:
2 egg yolks (whisked up)
large Tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoons of olive oil
a tablespoon of coconut oil
a few drops of rosewater (helps the smell, but not necessary)

rub this mixture into DRY hair, that has not been washed, do not use on freshly washed hair.
Leave on for 20min (or an hour if you can stand it, however this runny liquid tends to drip down your face, so you should stay in the bath)

Now shampoo and condition using cool water, et voila!

Beautiful hair is a few kitchen ingredients away!

(PS: I also use a spray on mixture of bergamot essence, bay rum, and placenta on my scalp which helps my hair grow)

on 9/4/2016 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A homemade mask with such a high vote on MUA? I had to try it!
I wanted to try an egg mask for years and now I had the confirmation it's good. Except..it was the messiest mess ever on me.
It was fine until rinsing. It went away smoothly and fast. After shampooing, I realized a half handful of hair fell. REALLY? I didn't see any aesthetic improvement at all and my hair felt like straw until I did conditioner.
The smell was unbearable the whole time and the whole room now smells.Not to mention the bathroom. After shampooing twice, conditioning with a chamomille scented product, doing a macadamia mask and some pump of Revlon's Uniq, I still smell like crazy. It's disgusting. I'd like to put some perfume on hair but I'd like to avoid spraying basically pure alcohol on it.
I'm so sorry tho, I really wanted to like this and was all excited and ready for the experience. But it became a nightmare. I feel sorry for wasting two eggs.

on 8/8/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

őô tried the egg bomb for the first time a couple of days ago; mixed a whiped egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. At this point the mix was sticky and smelled like pastry dough.
Applied on thick, curly, dry hair and didin't drip, became hard to the touch almost right away. Left it for an hour and rinsed with cold water which was easier than I expected. Shampooed and used moisturising conditioner. Let air dry.
Other that some extra body I didn't notice any difference, my hair wasn't any softer or more manageable. I'm not impressed but was worth a try.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have really dry, brittle and crappy hair. I mean really crappy. So I stumbled upon some article on egg bomb protein mask, try it one afternoon when I'm sure the boyfriend won't be home. So, I use 1 eggs, 2 table spoon of coconut oil and 1 table spoon of honey on dry unwashed hair. Apply it really well by section, and cover with a shower cap and a towel on my shoulder because i knew its going to dripped like nobody's business. I didn't wait for the eggs to dry totally, just waited out for roughly 15-20 minutes because I don't want the shower cap to stuck to my hair while i remove it. Afterwards I rinse with COLD water and shampoo it out with my normal shampoo. Did not apply any conditioner but a light spritz of coconut oil+distilled water at my ends.
Resuts: Hair look thicker and honestly shinier.
Cons: Messy, hair can feel a bit straw like when air drying.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

There's a lot of hullabaloo that goes round about the egg bomb pre-shampoo mask, so here's how to use it properly (thank you to the original reviewer for the directions...i do know that on mobile that "most helpful" does not show up, however--so here's the quick rundown):

Mix:
3-4 tbsp EVOO
1-2 tsp honey

in a separate bowl:
1-2 egg yolks, beaten

(Adjust the measurements accordingly. I have bra-strap length, coarse, wurly hair. You may need more or less of a certain ing based on your hair...don't stress too much about it. The important part is following the instructions below.)

Add bowls together, stir until fully mixed.

Section DRY hair (as if blow drying) into at least 4 sections (due to stickiness of mixture. again, use your own judgement here.)
Add mixture to DRY, UNWASHED HAIR. Most importantly:
DRY HAIR. I recommend that you get into shower or bath for this step. The sort of "paint brush" a hair dresser uses for applying color is helpful here, but fingers are fine too! Honestly, i have used a fork before, little mermaid style...i have no shame. just slather that ish on however you can.
Put on shower cap if desired. DO NOT USE HEAT. IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO RINSE OUT.
Let mix sit for at least 30 min.
Rinse using COLD WATER.
COLD WATER. (if you have a detachable shower head...that will be awesome for this. and if not, i hope you have a friend who does, cos you will be very cold.)
NOT HOT WATER. This is important!
Shampoo and condition as per usual. or use the best ones you have...either way, you're finished with the egg bomb!

Admire your lovely locks.

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

on 10/18/2012 11:44:00 PM

I used 2 egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of olive oil for my dry, colored hair and let it do its magic for 35 minutes. After I shampooed and conditioned as usual, I blow dried my hair. Some of my broken strand of hair seemed repaired and well conditioned. My hair felt smooth, soft and volumized (yes!). There is no smell of egg lingering although I used warm water to wash my hair. Highly recommended to do this hair treatment twice per month.

I just egg bombed my hair. Such a good decision. My hair is so shiny it's like it belongs to someone else! Just awesome. I did modify the concoction by adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil as well. I just love coconut oil for anything and everything. Plus it makes you smell like the beach instead of breakfast.

As someone who uses oil (coconut, olive, almond) in my hair frequently, I was SO surprised at how effortless the egg bomb washed out. I used warm water--just warm enough so I didn't freeze in the shower. It didn't cook the egg. After I rinsed out the mask, I washed my hair with watered down aloe vera shampoo and finished with She Care deep conditioning conditioner (used to swear by it, but it's changed so don't bother).

I also used the egg white (about half) to infuse my hair with much needed protein. Should you choose not to include the egg white, might as well make yourself an egg white omelet while your hair mask sits.

This will be become a once a week ritual for sure.

on 8/21/2012 4:06:00 AM

This is my first ever review on Makeup Alley but the Egg Bomb was just so incredible I felt I had to spread the word. Basically Ė it really really worked!!

I have fine medium brown hair, and lots of it, that is naturally curly and frizzy. I have to blowdry it and/or straighten it every day itís so bad, which means I really damaged my hair over the years. I have tried everything in the past and spent a lot of money on it too, from Kerastase to Bumble and Bumble to Moroccan Hair Oil, to coconut or almond oils, and whilst itís all helped the situation nothing really made a dramatic difference. It unfortunately got so bad that my long hair grew so tangled and broken I could no longer get a brush through it, and I recently had to cut it to shoulder length. I now want to find a Ďprevention rather than cureí method to avoid every having that bad condition hair again, as my hair is already getting split ends and growing tangled and dry again. If anyone else is in this situation I would get over the weirdness of putting egg yolks in your hair, and try this...

I mixed 2 egg yolks with 1 tbsp of honey, then added to 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp of olive oil. I mixed it all up and applied the gunk to my hair with the help of a spoon, massaging it into my scalp and hair length. I made sure my ends were really coated. Itís quite messy and drippy, if you think itís too runny then add more honey as thatís what makes it stick to your hair. Then I tied it up (didnít have a shower cap but this probably would have been useful!) and left it in there for about an hour. My hair hardened and grew crispy, and I smelt like a coconutty egg..I grew a bit worried at this point. But then I washed it out with lukewarm water, and shampooed and conditioned as normal. I let it air-dry till it was 90% dry then finished it off with a quick blow dry and wow! My hair is the softest, shiniest and yet still volumised and bouncy I have EVER seen it. It was so shiny my hair was literally reflecting light, and so soft I can run my fingers through it with ease. I canít remember ever having hair like this.

The best thing is you know exactly what youíve put in your hair and itís so cheap to make. I would really recommend the coconut oil addition as it smells nice and kind of masks the eggy scent, which I have to admit is a bit strong. Iíve taken note not to apply this too often because of the excess protein, so will wait a few weeks till the next Ďbomb sessioní. I would also definitely do this before a big event if I wanted to have nice soft shiny hair. Thanks to the creators, my only wish is that Iíd tried this earlier!

I doubled for my hair (kind of thick, 3" below bra strap) and used 2 egg yolks (picking out the white parts), 1/4 cup EVOO, and about 1 Tbsp honey. There was enough to cover my hair generously. I put a plastic shower cap on my head and covered with a hot towel. I left the mixture on for about 1-1/2 hours while I made and ate breakfast and gave my kids a bath.

I washed it out with warm water (no problems) and used my regular conditioner. It took a while to work the conditioner in and comb out tangles. When I got out, my hair felt like silk! I *almost* didn't need to blow dry it. It didn't make a big difference in the appearance of my hair, but it felt so damaged before and feels so soft now that it is worth it! Maybe if I use it more often it will make my hair look better. I highly recommend at least trying it if your hair feels damaged!