L'Oreal Paris HYDRA PERFECTE Perfecting Loose Powder

L'Oreal Paris HYDRA PERFECTE Perfecting Loose Powder
HYDRA PERFECTE Perfecting Loose Powder

3.9

Nylon-12, Ptfe, Acrylates Copolymer, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Magnesium Stearate, Boron Nitride, Mineral Oil, Lauroyl Lysine, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Fragrance, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxycitronellal, Geraniol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Isoeugenol, Eugenol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Mica, Ci 77499, Ci 77492, Ci 77491/Iron Oxides, Ci 77120/Barium Sulfate, Ci 77891/Titanium Dioxide.

on 10/29/2018 4:35:00 PM

I picked this up recently in Translucent #916 for about $10 (or slightly less). I wanted to try a loose powder again since it had been a while. The last one I tried was from NYX but my Walmart doesn't have that brand, so I chose this one. I almost got a Covergirl powder but it was mostly talc and this one by L'Oreal had pretty good reviews.

YES, this does have a strong floral scent. After I put it on, my dog was all over my face smelling me (he's blind, so he's all about scents these days). I don't think the scent lasted long, at least to my own nose. I find the texture to be very fine and smooth. I buffed this in with a fairly dense brush and really liked the sort of light-diffusing finish. Today, I tested it on my hands and was surprised that it seemed to reduce the redness on my knuckles. No, I don't normally wear powder on my hands, hehe. On my face, this does seem to diffuse or smooth out the texture and also minimize my pores a bit. I have large pores on my nose and I think this powder disguises them just as well as an "HD" powder with silica (i.e. the one by MUFE).

I have an oily T-zone and found my nose to be slightly oily after 3 hours. Not enough to powder again. HOWEVER, I'm also wearing a different foundation underneath the powder and this MAY have made a difference in my oiliness! That is: Covergirl Clean Matte BB Cream for oily skin. So, perhaps the drying BB cream + the "hydrating" powder is a good combo? I'm liking it so far and will continue wearing it for a while. I'll update this review if I change my mind.

I am not too thrilled about the 2nd ingredient: PTFE, which is used to make Teflon and is in the PFAS category of chemicals (used for a number of different things besides Teflon) that is of great interest these days to environmental groups. These chemicals get into our drinking water and do not break down as they are hydrophobic. So, I guess using a powder with an ingredient like this gives me concern... Also, am I inhaling this when I put it on and what could that do to my lungs? Just some things to consider. Everyone should be filtering their water! We already have 2 community water systems shut down in MA due to PFAs contamination. OK, stepping off the soap box!

The L'Oreal website claims this powder as: "Light-Defusing. Loose Powder. Minimizes Pores. Hydra Perfecte Powder is a light-diffusing loose powder that minimizes pores and enhances skin’s texture. It’s formulated with special moisturizers that nourish and protect your skin." -- I'd have to say the powder lives up to these claims so far and seems a good deal for the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I feel like the most important thing to note here is how overwhelming and strong the grandma-like fragrance is in this. I was extremely allergic to it and sneezed as soon as the powder came out of the container. I'll admit it looked creamy and natural on my pale skin, but it irritated it as soon as I put it on. I got two small blemishes by the end of the day from it and couldn't test it against oiliness since I removed it after reacting. Those with non-reactive skin who don't mind strong smells can probably enjoy this powder. It's $9 at Walmart and has lovely shades, it just wasn't for me.

Honestly I was shocked when I got on here and saw all the positive reviews for this powder! I will say, I think this powder will work well with people who have dry skin. I was looking for a translucent powder to set my makeup and absorb oil and this powder leaves my face just as shiny at the end of the day.

on 11/6/2017 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I always come back to this powder. I’ve been using it for years. It gives me such a flawless finish. I use shade medium but it doesn’t add ang pigment or coverage. It just had a really great blurring effect. My only complaint is, my oil tends to shine through on my nose mid day, but I’ve yet found anything to stop that. Love this and the price. It’s great for baking!

on 8/24/2017 2:59:00 PM

I've used tons of different loose powder from the least pricey to the most. This is my favorite by far! I love the translucent-doesn't give you the orange look like some shades can. This sets my makeup perfectly & you can't beat the price!

on 4/27/2017 3:20:00 PM

Not sure what possessed me to pick this up. I'm really impressed with it though. I feel like this is so similar to LM translucent setting powder. I use it to set my concealer and entire face. The finish is natural, slightly matte. I got translucent and it provides a tiny but if coverage. It's got a neutral beige tint to it. Cannot believe I never tried this before but I'm glad I did.

on 2/12/2017 8:09:00 AM

Got this in medium.
It has got a flowery fragrance. Powder is rather fine.
Worked great as a finishing powder - to set foundation.
When used on its own, under moisturizer and sunscreen, it worked well for 5 hours. Face was not oily or dry.
After 5 hours, it started oxidising and the color deepened in shade.

Would recommend this to be used as a finishing powder.
When used without foundation under, it works great for a max of about 5 hours on normal skin i.e. oily on T-zone.

on 10/21/2016 10:57:00 AM

this is a hidden gem at the drugstore! came across it by accident & an blown away at how great it is! blurs my face & has NO color (i use the translucent) the only thing that bothers me is the scent... very flowery & "grandma" like.... but i put my mario b rosewater spray on top to take away the powdery look so the smell goes away as well.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really nice powder. I got this the day before buying Laura Mercier translucent loose and it's very similar. Some might call it a dupe though the ingredients aren't exactly the same. The first ingredient in this is nylon, while I believe the LM is more talc. But the effect is nearly the same and both products work very well. I do believe the best quality of this powder is its instant blurring effect. Even with one light dusting you can see that imperfections look blurred. The price is much lower than the LM and you get a ton. This one is however heavily scented. The fragrance is luxurious and it's not too musky so I can stand it, though it may bother some. It smells like soap. But loos beautiful and not overly drying on the skin.

on 7/19/2016 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been wanting to find a perfect powder to bake my concealer. I have several brands Elf, Ben Nye, Ruby Kisses, Tarte Smooth Opeator. I use all of them and love all of them. Tho i tend to reach out more for this one. And I love the finish that it gives me. And you get alot of product for a good price. And I found this at my local walmart.