Abreva Docosanol 10% Cream for Cold Sores

3.9

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I always just pop acyclovir whenever I feel a cold sore coming on...but for some reason the last cold sore I have was turning big and gnarly fast, despite taking acyclovir. So I went to the drugstore to get some Abreva, not expecting much because it's not a prescription. I applied this religiously maybe five times a day for three days and the cold sore just didn't really get bigger. In fact, it never even blistered and crusted over! Now when I feel a cold sore coming on I will use Abreva AND acyclovir. Very cool!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

You know that feeling. Out of nowhere your lip starts feeling tight. It tingles. Oh no! Cold sore alert!!! It’s the weekend and you don’t want to waste hours waiting for a doctor at the walk-in clinic so you can get a prescription to deal with the ugliness about to attack your lips. Yeah, that happened to me so I raced to the pharmacy and bought a tube of Abreva. The pharmacist said to apply it 5 times a day - no problem! Anything to prevent the eruption and you know what? I could feel tightness all weekend long when I would press my lips together, there was the slightest amount of swelling, just teasing me that I was going to look like I was in a fight and had a fat lip. But, applying Abreva every 3-4 hours worked like a charm and it prevented the virus from fully activating and spreading. No one was the wiser. If you’ve ever experienced a full blown cold sore eruption you know just how uncomfortable it is and how long it takes to heal. I’m not interested in experiencing that again so I always try to deal with them at the first sign of tingling/swelling to stop it in its tracks.

The last time I started to get a cold sore it was late at night and so I used the old “hold an ice cube on the area to numb the tingling and reduce the chance of swelling” which I think works because I also never had an eruption. When I wasn’t holding an ice cube on my lip I dabbed witch hazel on it as it has anti-bacterial properties, this combination worked well for me and if I am stuck at home without the chance of medication I would do this again. If you are out living your life, get some Abreva. It works. It’s pricey but worth it. And honestly you don’t need much at all. No need to slather your lips with it. The tiniest dot will work. Just be sure to let it fully absorb into the affected area.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This product is effective at treating cold sores. IT is unfortunate however, that it is so expensive for such a small amount of product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

OMG this stuff is really great ! I'm in the the final healing stages of a previous cold sore when I noticed another on the other side of my lip start to pop up, just some red and tenderness that's how mine start. So I started to apply abreva about 5-8 times a day this is almost my third day and the cold sore didn't even start to pop up !!! No blistering or anything it's also almost gone !!! This stuff is a little pricey but even if it was $30.00 I would buy it because the physical and emotional pain with cold sores is the worst! I wish I would of had this for my other cold sore. I will continue to apply for a few more days just to insure the virus is dead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I use this along with prescription Valaciclovir when I have a break-out and its gone in three-days tops.

I have been using this product for a couple of years and love it. I use this product throughout my cold sore's "lifespan" so from the very beginning to the very end. I've read a couple reviews on here and people say it doesn't work unless you use it right away... WRONG. If you can start using it at the beginning of a cold sore it's going to stop it from going further. If you start using it in the middle of a cold sore it will help to minimize the healing time and will go a way faster than if you just left it alone and didn't do anything to it. I apply this 5-10 times a day and nothing more than a half of a pea, even that's too much. I also take Lysine pills which help SO much with cold sores. Most of my cold sores last three days if I religiously consume my lysine pills and apply Abreva. If I don't have Abreva I do use Anbesol and that works nice too. Anbesol is a tooth/gum numbing gel and helps to dry out and numb the cold sore. Hope I helped!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is the only thing on the market for cold sores that I have tried. It works really really well as long as you apply it within the first signs of having a cold sore! It does explicitly state this on the packaging so for those complaining about why it doesn't make their fully developed sores go away, that's why. If you do apply it on a newly developing sore, it will stop it from getting bigger, but will not make it go away quicker. It is pretty expensive, but you don't need much and I don't get cold sores often so I don't mind.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This works if you catch the sore VERY early. Once the sore is there & a bump has surfaced, don't expect much. At that point nothing but time will help. When I feel a tingle I use this and nothing comes up. It's expensive for such a small tube. But, if you're getting a cold sore once a year then this will last. I used past the expiration date.

I had two cold sores when I was very sick, recently. I tried the Abreva patches. That was a waste. I tried the cream. It was too late. I use vitamin E from the capsules & that helped the pain and assisted in helping the sores heal up nicely. Still took 2 weeks to go away. But eh. I'm 31 and have only had actual cd sores I twice. So, can't complain. If you get them more often, see your PCP or derm for a script. You can also try taking lysine!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!! It does NOTHING... NOTHING!! I used to use this product, but then gave up after too many stress induced fever blisters (aka cold sores) caused me much more stress and embarrassment. I searched and searched online, and finally found a remedy that works.

1- Get a cotton ball
2- Get your acetone based nail polish remover
3- Dab cotton ball with some nail polish remover
4- Gently press on cold sore area THE MOMENT you feel it coming.

This has worked for me every single time as soon as I feel one coming. The acetone dries it out or something, I'm not quite sure, but it works that that's all that matters. The unfortunate time I did not have any polish remover on hand (I was at the airport awaiting my flight to Europe), my friend gave me some of her prescription creme to try, and it did NOTHING either. Still suffered with a nasty fever blister on my European vacation. Please ladies, give this a chance and save your money! Only a few dabs AS SOON AS YOU FEEL IT COMING, and it the blister will never appear. I've even dabbed like 10min later for extra security, and again, the blister never appears, the numbness and bump goes away. TRY IT!! I too, have a discoloration scar from a fever blister years ago, and I wish someone had told me of this remedy sooner.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

--UPDATE--mar. 6

Blistex works on COLD SoREs! :)

I've used blistex for years to treat extra dry cracked lips, but never on my cold sores...Until I saw my husband use it and it worked better than ABREVA!

So I finally tried and it truly does make a cold sore smaller, heal quick, and not develop into the puss stage and peeling/bleeding stage. It soothes the cold sore so you don't feel the tingly itchy feeling.

I will keep buying Blistex from now on and will never buy abreva again. Abreva dried quick and left me feeling itchy. It only worked if you used it immediately on first signs of the cold sore, and it still led to peeling of the skin and bleeding! I have a scar from one time , even after using abreva. With blistex-NO scar.

Blistex works and costed about $3.99 on sale (economy size, which I can cut open at the end to finish it all)
Abreva costs $19.99 for a stupid metal tube that's puny in size, and cannot open it up when it's almost done.

Try Blistex next time u have a cold sore! Apply about 4 times a day for good results.

(That polysporin patch i wrote about below didn't help really, only to hide it a little).

--OLD POST--

Abreva is sooo expensive and the packaging is too small. I have not bought the pump but read that it srays too much when pumped once.

The tubes are so small (2 grams) and are made of metal, so you cannot easily get the last bit out or cut it open like a toothpaste tube to finish all of it. If you aren't careful, it could bend and rip open...

I only found it effective when I had it on me and started applying it on my cold sores at the very first sign (hot tingly feeling, no bump yet). Other times, I was at school or work while a cold sore started growing and no Abreva on hand. Once home, there's a bump and using Abreva will not do much (cold sore still lasted a few days), and continuous use just dried it out and it peeled, bled, and left a scar... TO THIS DAY i have a SCAR from a cold sore I had months ago :( with use of Abreva too.

I got a cold sore yesterday evening, and on my lunch break today went and found Polysporin patches for cold sores, I bought it and put one on. Leaving it on for 8 hrs or until starts peeling off. Hope it heals my sore faster than Abreva!

Top Rated Lip Treatments