L'Occitane Eau des Baux

4.8

I won't leave home without wearing a fragrance but prefer to wear something that is not cliche and widely recognized and worn. While in a L'Occitane boutique, I explained to a staffer that I l prefer fragrances that are in the spicy, oriental categories - avoiding floral and citrus. Without hesitation, she grabbed a bottle, instructed me to disregard the name and section from which she got it, dabbed a bit on my wrist and I fell in love immediately! Although technically a men's fragrance, she said women love it - as do I. L'Occitane has wonderful customer service and when the nozzle broke early on, they sent me a new bottle without issue.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

My husband and I recently entered a hotel elevator that had the most delicious, spicy smell ever in the air. There was a young (25ish) man (hello, hottie!) in the elevator, so I had to ask if he was wearing cologne. He thanked me for the compliment and gave me the name (he was French, too, so it sounded even prettier). Later that day I drug my husband to the downtown Seattle L'Occitane shop to spray him down with this and pray that he loved it.
It's not his normal type of scent (fresh, citrus), but he loves it. His father smoked a pipe, and it brings back those memories. It smells amazing on him; however, I've made it an everyday scent for myself and get nonstop compliments. This is very unisex for any woman who wears vanilla orientals (Shalimar, Dior Addict, etc).
The opening blast has a strong cedar note, but it's gone as fast as it came. After that it becomes the most amazing, sweet tobacco smell, with almost a dark cocoa in the background. Imagine opening one of those bins in a tobacco shop and inhaling the scent of the moist, sticky, sweet vanilla pipe tobacco. That's the smell. It's incredible.
The sillage is moderate for the first half hour, then becomes one of those skin scents that wafts here and there with your body heat. It may last a long time on clothing, but this is not a scent meant for clothing. This is meant to be worn on skin. It's meant to be warm.
This is the sort of smell that may remind you of your grandfather-but don't let that deter you. This is not your grandfather's scent in an old man, familial way. It's the smell of the men of those generations. Men who knew that smelling like soap and 'oceanic spray' was not sexy.
Give this a try. It's as close to niche as you can get while still being crazy accessible.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Side by side comparison with Tobacco Vanille (two sprays on each wrist)

About the bottles: the Tom Ford looks classier but I actually prefer the L'Occitane sprayer which provides an even wide mist instead of a stream.

Inital impresion
EdB: loads of pepper and a bit of cardamom
TV: cloves accompanied by dry fruits

2' later
The tobacco in TV starts to emerge while EdB is still all about the pepper

10' after application
The fir in EdB strats peeking through the spices and dominates over time, TV is all tobacco

45' after application
The first traces of incense can be detected in EdB, TV becomes sweeter

1hr after application
EdB consists of equal parts of cypress and incense while TV is dominated by the vanilla

2hr after application
No significant change about the scent but the sillage of EdB has dropped quite a bit when TV is still strong

Drydown
EdB has evolved to a creamy, ambery vanilla surrounded by tonka bean, TV has become a woody vanilla/ tonka with hints of cocoa

Both are almost equally long lasting, 8+ hours at least

EdB should be marketed as unisex, as far as woody orientals go Le Baisier du Dragon for example smells more masculine to me, I can even say that it shares a few similarities with Sensuous Noir (the foresty notes - cypress instead of pine - and the sweet ambery drydown and spices)

Overall I think EdB is the best L'Occitane offering and doesn't lack craftsmanship, performance or quality ingredients. It's better made than most department store fragrances and I can't see it not working even as a blind buy if you like sweet, woody and spicy scents.

If TV is ''Winter'' then EdB is ''Autumn''. If I had to keep one for myself - without considering the price - I'd prefer TV because it's thicker, smoother and sweeter but if I had to choose a gift - again, without considering the price - I'd go for EdB since it's greener, fresher, easier to wear and more versatile.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I very rarely wear any type of fragrance. I bought this for my hubby when the L'Occitane SA suggested it and now I wear it more than he does. I went back for the shower gel and matching deodorant. I spray this on my pillows, clothes, and my husband when he's not looking :)

I tend to go for these types of warm but not sickly sweet scents because my father always wore a pipe tobacco/vanilla/cypress/leather warm scent and now I love anything that reminds me of when he was alive.

I've been wearing it for years now and it is the only scent I have ever bought multiple bottles of. Usually I get bored with whatever I am wearing or it gives me migraines and I have a graveyard of too many fragrances to count that I've used once or twice and then never again, so am happy to have found this one.

I won't describe the scent as it's been repeated a few times - but I will say I find this scent irresistible on a man, and beautiful on a woman. It's warm yet masculine. I would not describe this as anything like those unisex fragrances thankfully. I just wear the lightest spritz and get lots of compliments, and no headaches from this.

I hope they never discontinue this. Definitely repurchase.

I bought this for my 28 year old son. He wasn't thrilled at first, but now likes it. It's different, not the typical men's cologne you often smell. It's not strong, kind of subtle. I like it, but not as strong as the tester was in the store, but it's nice.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

A very rich and sweet vanilla base with amber, incense, tobacco, and resinous woods. It starts out with some spice (cardamom with a touch of pepper) but quickly develops into a sweet vanillic composition. There are facets of resin soaked wood (cypress), dry wood (like bleached driftwood), and sweet, smoky pipe tobacco. The incense notes have an almost floral tone at the start but then become less so as the fragrance develops. A luxurious vanilla base makes up the center of Eau des Baux. Accented with cola, amber, and dried fruit (maybe raisin?) the effect is warm and rich. While it sounds super heavy, there is an expansive quality to it that keeps it from becoming leaden and overly dense. As you might expect from such a base based composition, the staying power is very good.

From L'Occitane's description, I was expecting something more woody/cypress and traditionally masculine. To my delight this isn't the case at all. First and foremost Eau des Baux gives the impression of vanilla, and there are no typical "men's cologne" notes in it. I feel very comfortable wearing this even though I am a woman.

I bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas because I tried a sample in the store and I could not stop thinking about it. This is a wonderful scent, more masculine than feminine, but it would not be impossible for a woman to pull off. The scent has good staying power and over time mellows out to a softer, more vanilla-y scent. As far as price goes, this cologne/perfume is very reasonable in price. The best part is that there are other products from L'Occitane with the same scent, so this is a great way to layer the scent.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Another Templar scent. Brilliant!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Gentle spice vanilla-wood-musk of fancy soap or French perfume. Almost plum notes in there. Warm/cool, smooth, gorgeous incense spices. Dry down is Rhukus incense. Love it. Lasts well, medium sillage. Want

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I marked that I would buy this again because I DO like it, but I probably won't actually buy it again because I don't LOVE it and I like to try lots of fragrances.

So, I bought this for myself. I'm a woman. I've never worn a man's scent before but I like them. I woke up one day feeling like a needed a woody scent to wear. Something truly woody, not like the "woody" scents for women which are actually florals with a itty bit of sandalwood or something on the dry-down. I knew L'Occitane had a Cedre fragrance so I went over there.

I couldn't decide between this and the Cedre, which is a woman's scent. I went for this just because I was feeling like a stronger, more masculine scent might be cool. It is. I like the scent. It's nice and woody. I occasionally notice it during the day, but not as often as I'd like. I think it does have staying power but it only lets off scent when I get warm or perspire. Perhaps that's to prevent men from stinking since they tend to wear too much! LOL!

Anyway, I like it. It's nice. If I only use one spray it is very subtle. Definitely worth a try for women wanting to try a man's scent and for a guy if he knows how to wear cologne properly.

I think I'll try the Cedre next.

Popular Fragrances