2.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

Very poor product. Piles. Irritates my skin even though I've used high % of c before. Piles again soooooo bad under my makeup. The only reason I tried it recommended by Sephora employee. Which I bought when my ptr vitamin c serum leaked in my bag when travelling. And lost the receipt/lazy to return. Certain this caused me also to break out. And saw zero results. Boo never again. Don't get the Sephora obsession with Dennis. I'm assuming there is a kick back.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair

HairOther

EyesOther

5 years ago

I bought this serum at Nordstrom after reading the Paula's Choice review. She highly recommended this product. I applied the serum after cleansing my face. It felt like a primer and not a serum. It sat on my skin and did not sink in. After five minutes, my skin felt dry and irritated. I applied a moisturizer over it and that didn't sink in either. My face looked like a greasy irritated mess. After using it for three nights, I decided to return it. It is definitely not worth $95.

About reviewer (91 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairOther, Curly, Medium

EyesBlue

6 years ago

I initially didn't like this product but now I love it. I think the reason I had problems with it is because of its texture. As mentioned previously, it is quite thick and not like a typical serum. When I first started using it I was unsure how to apply it and I applied too much. As a result my skin became irritated and broke out in small pimples. Now I apply a lot less - probably three pumps of product at most. I dot it around my face and then lightly spread it around. This makes it easier to ensure you have covered all your skin, as the serum is difficult to spread. I have pale skin that is prone to blotchiness. I find that using this serum immediately makes my pores smaller and reduces redness. I use it at night after toning.

About reviewer (29 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone

HairBrunette

7 years ago

I use this Vit C serum as a primer in the morning. It is a little thick, and it will sting a little because of the Vit C and the lactic acid--so don't get it too close to your eyes. This "airbrushes" the skin and really controls oil well! Makeup applies easily over it w/o any issues. I have many acne scars that have faded with usage of this (in conjunction with my other skin care products), and some age-spots have completely disappeared over time. I'm extremely pleased with this product, and it's worth the investment for me! There's usually a discount promo code for purchase on eskinstore, and for the dgskincare site. I shop around for where i can get it for a few dollars off. I only wear it on workdays (I let my skin "breathe" on days off). I've used this since 2007, and will continue to do so.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Olive, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

7 years ago

This is expensive but so worth it! I love all Dennis Gross products and ordered this on a whim and I don't understand all the negative or low reviews I love this and it helps lighten my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks on my cheeks (3 on each) and brightens my complexion overall. I can understand this not working out for sensitive skin as it is a strong dose of vitamin c but for my combination skin it is wonderful and I love this and would definitely repurchase even though it is pushes my student budget to the brink. I have used Mario Badescus vitamin c and while it does work I know this does a better job for me personally. The texture of this is gel like and I can feel the silicones i believe as it is alot similar to my lancome la base primer but when I wake up every morning I see refreshed glowing skin.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

EyesBrown

8 years ago

I've used philosophy's Turbo Boost, Skinceuticals CE + ferulic and the Boske CE ferulic product. I don't mind spending more for skincare products that contain effective ingredients and is packaged to keep them that way, and have spent a lot of time online reading up on vitamin c serum and what you should be looking for in a formulation. I decided to give the MD by Dr. Dennis Gross a try, since there are very few anhydrous (made w/o water) vitamin c serums available. He recommends using this product at night, but the majority of things I've read recommend C products for daytime use as extra protection from UV rays (and I use a retinol serum at night anyway). The packaging is GREAT - mostly opaque, with a small window to see how much product is left; you twist the top and the pump pops up, so it will definitely keep the vitamin c stable (and now I see Paula's Choice is using this as well). The texture is not what I consider a "serum", although I haven't looked up the definition of the word. This is a silicone based product, and has the look/feel of a primer, which worked fine for me, since I don't usually use primer. I apply sunscreen over this after I've given it a few minutes to sink in. I did have some slight stinging, as with most vitamin c serum, but not enough to keep me from using it. I thought the results from using a full bottle of this were very good - my skintone was definitely brightened, and the texture was smooth, although I'm not sure how much it faded the sunspots on the side of my face. I am still looking to find another C product with ferulic acid, but I would use this one again.

About reviewer (48 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

8 years ago

I have used Skinceuticals CE Ferulic and Phloretin CF (both liquid and gel versions) as well as the Arcona Youth Serum and I have found this product to be better. This is supposed to be used at night and after the first night I saw a difference. Having used the other three Vitamin C products for the prior several months I did not like the look of my skin after using them (especially the liquid Phloretin CF). I prefer Dr Gross because- - packaging is air-tight -dispenser is easier to use and more pleasant that the Skinceuticals dropper and the Arcona pump (all of which create waste) -no irritation, just a nice glow -it is less expensive than Skinceuticals and marginally more $ than Arcona

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

8 years ago

I got a sample of this serum, I believe from Sephora. I did not experience the burning that other reviewers did so it's possible the formula has been changed. However, I could not stand the smell--like maple syrup. It was so nauseating, I had to wash my face, which isn't what I would have preferred to do since I have a broken nose (don't ask).

About reviewer (975 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

10 years ago

I purchased the value pack of the "travel size" items, and this was included. I'd put off trying it until I wouldn't be embarrassed in case my hypersensitive skin had an allergic reaction. It is very much like the Perfekt Skin Gel that I use (in Transparent)!! It FULLY CONTROLS my freakishly-oily shine, smooths out lines and pores, both moisturizes AND exfoliates, and lasts all day. It has a thick silky texture (just like Perfekt--which also has Vit.C), and it spreads like any thick gel primer. I keep waiting for the hives to come, but it hasn't happened yet. I apply this after I wash my face in the morning, it replaces a primer. Because of the nice "smoothing" effect it has on my poors/fine lines, I don't even put foundation over it--just strategic concealer. My concealer doesn't slip/move, and my skin is really soft and has GREAT texture after I was my face at night! It has been only 14 days, so I'll wait to see how it goes, and will update. This is a little easier to use that my Perfekt Skin Perfecting Gel (which I LOVE--but is SO expensive); however, This is pricey for me too! I don't know how long the product will last. Am thinking that this could replace my Perfekt Gel and foundation, completely. Only time will tell. GREAT container! Edit: It's been 5 weeks, and I'm ecstatic!! It STILL controls my freakish-oil-production!!! ALL DAY!! My skin feels soft and smooth--but no irritation. How weird that I'm sensitive/allergic to EVERYTHING, but NOTHING bad from this--especially since other people had sensitivity to it!! This is now my daily primer!! I still use my Perfekt gel around my eyes and lips, and this everywhere else. I'm so pleasantly surprised!!! This is a new HG!! Update 12/ 09/10): This is HG for me! I don't even wear/need foundation anymore. because this "airbrushes" my face/pores so beautifully, and allows NO oil breakthrough. I alternate this with the Hydra-Pure Anti-Oxidant Serum...which is equally awesome!! I HATE to say it, but this product line (the C-Serum, Anti-Oxidant Serum, and the AlphaBeta Peel Pads) has TOTALLY changed my skin--from a freakishly oily mess, to normal, glowing, beautiful skin!!! Can't praise it enough!!!

About reviewer (98 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair

HairBrown

EyesHazel

10 years ago

omg, i rec'd this as a sample and it said vitamin C, so i figured vitamins were supposed to be good for your face.. as soon as i put it on my face it started burning and itching like crazy. i do not have sensitve skin and my skin has never had such an immediate reaction to a product, i know something was wrong and wasnt going to take any chances so i immediately washed it off because i put it all over my face...my face was red and looked like lil bumps were forming..... hope that 2 seconds doesnt break me out... i would never buy this.. and i think i saw it for 100 bucks... i would def. get a sample before buying this! i better just stick to my all natural night cream i use.... oh and i saw some reviews say it didnt have a smell... mine had a pretty strong fragrance... i thought it was the fragrance that i was reacting to? i dont know..

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age25-29