Eye Candy: 55 easy makeup looks for glam lids & luscious lashes (Linda Mason)

No Image

4.4

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is an excellent book, with a couple of bitchy reviews online--by people who completely missed the point.
Artistic, beautiful, interesting, and flattering looks are throughout the book with easy-to-follow instructions and a very concise, complete guide to basics (tools, placement, etc) at the beginning.
Beautiful looks, well-coordinated and FUN. There are 'wearable' looks and 'editorial' looks showing Linda's range and that they are explained in such a simple manner with diagrams is a plus. To not appreciate this book, one must be a real stick-in-the-mud Instagram-style advocate and a bit of a turd. By which I mean the artistic potential of makeup is lost to them.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this little book for helping me do something different when I want to get out of a rut. And the eyes is usually the basis of most looks, so once I've got that as a starting point Im good to go with my own creativity to finish the rest of the look! I love how she uses real girls with freckles, noses, imperfect skin and enhances them to look fabulous and fresh...never tries to mask their individuality and definitely no airbrushing. Such a healthy and inspiring philosophy from this creative master of makeup. I also love her "Makeup: The Art of Beauty" and am now looking forward to her latest book "Makeup for Ageless Beauty" that is coming out in May this year! Check it out!

on 11/18/2010 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Just like another reviewer, I borrowed a copy from my local library. I will renew this and eventually get my own copy. But I have to say this is the best makeup book I've seen. I love how the looks are grouped in specific categories such as everyday (my favorite section), punky, glamorous, etc.

I checked this book out because as much as I know about makeup, it had gotten a little boring and I needed some fresh ideas. I have a ton of colors already and I just needed to find a way that made them seem new again instead of adding more products to my collection. The ideas from Eye Candy have made me go back to old favorites and wear color combinations that I hadn't thought of before. The looks are easy to follow and simple. Even the more complex looks are made user-friendly with the diagrams for each eye look. Linda offers very helpful tips too. She even made neutral looks more fun and exciting. I like to have fun with my makeup and used to always wear very bright and bold, sometimes shocking colors before I started working in an office setting. This book helped to make eye makeup fun again for me. I highly recommend Eye Candy by Linda Mason. If you love eyeshadows and whether you have more colors than you know what to do with, or you're new to doing eye makeup, either way you NEED this book!!!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

While this book is aimed at teenage girls, it is still a great book for inspiration to create new eye makeup looks for the young and young at heart! I will chime in with another reviewer that I also use this as inspiration to create and experiment with new looks because it is so easy to do the same looks that work and are easy and familiar. Yes, some of the eye shadow looks in this book are a little freaky, but there are many that are really, really gorgeous! There is a wide variety of looks featured: natural, classy, elegant, edgy, mordern, retro, glamourous, an array of great looks for all ages. I'm having fun playing around with some new looks and discovering new ways to wear shadows and eye liners that I love but don't wear as much. The other night when I went out to dinner with friends, I did a retro look from this book, and it looked stunning. I would highly recommend this. You may discover that an e/s sitting in the back of the shelf collecting dust is the one that looks most amazing on you! Get this and have fun:-)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Since I was so cackhanded with eye makeup and found Linda Mason's makeup style to be fun and unusual I bought this book when I had a voucher that would let me buy it at around $10. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it at $30 AUD.

I like the cute, neat size of the book and the careful exploration of different types of eye makeup. I also like the display of colour palettes and the detailed instructions, through text and diagrams. I also really appreciate the page focusing on enhancing Asian eyes, as I found it very helpful. (That and the fact that a few of the makeup looks were done on Asian models was also great).

The only reason why I took two points off was because although I appreciated the fun and colourful looks, admittedly I would probably only use about 15 or less of the looks, since the rest I'm a bit undecided on. I also found it a little bit frustrating how some of the eye looks scattered in the previous chapters that I liked didn't have instructions for them, not even in an appendix or anything.

If I ever lost this book I would replace (buy) it but only at a discounted price.

on 1/8/2009 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This book is very awesome for those people who love to try bright and fun new looks with eyeshadow. I am one of those people, and I absolutely love it. Sure, some of the looks are way over the top and only maybe good for some crazy dress up party, but the rest are tame enough for every day. However, if you are one of those people who will only wear neutrals, you should stay very far away from this book as it is definitely far removed from your comfort zone.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I can't wait to buy this book; I keep renewing my copy I borrowed from the library (that was last summer, 2008!).

Looks range from delicate and pretty for every day, to bold and brash for the not-faint-of-heart.
So you might not want to swipe navy blue powder across your blonde eyebrows (this is not one of the 50 looks, but it's an idea ;p ) but maybe you'd want to try painting on eye pink and the other orange with the lower lashes lines in purple (in all fairness, it looked and felt fabulous).

In the words of Mason, "it's only make up, after all".

And it was refreshing to see a book using photographs that are not digitally air-brushed, and of both professional young models and non-models.
If you're a frustrated make-up novice like me who wants to start experimenting with colour and textures on for your eyes, begin with "Eye Candy".

P.S Research into Linda Mason's work.

on 8/25/2008 3:51:00 PM

AWFUL!!! No, better yet ... Really AWFUL!!! Unless you are a Vegas show girl, a clown, or Mimi from "The Drew Carey Show" - you will get little to no use from this book. I can certainly appreciate daring and/or non-traditional eye looks, but this is nothing more than messy, messy, messy. No doubt this book is aimed at teens, but the work looks like it was done by a six year old.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I bought this book also, but really didn't think to review it until I saw the other MUA'ers review. WHY did I buy it, because I am a PT Cosmetics SA, and honestly, I can get stuck in a rut with eye MU looks, I tend to reach for the same E/S over and over, because I know it "works" or I love that particular color. I bought this book for "inspiration purposes" and now, quite a few SA's in my Dept. have "borrowed" it to inspire them when giving someone a makeover. What makes it nice for us, is we can practice these looks on our "look sheets" and tweak them to the colors we use at our counters. I highly recommend this book. As the previous reviewer said, every thing is mapped out quite well and does not endorse a particular MU brand, but lets you pick your favorites for the looks. Would definitely tell anyone is a MU junkie to pick this up for reference.

on 5/12/2008 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

4 Lippies: This book is targeted towards teenage girls. It starts out teaching the basics. It talks about different kinds of shadows, and how to use these shadows to create different eye effects. It also talks about liners, mascaras, different brushes, false lashes, different terminologies, and brow tweezing.

Then the book starts out with everday looks, then flirtatious, then glamourous, and finally a few fashion icon inspired makeup looks. The book is very well organized and thought out. It's also easy to follow.

Each look is given a quirky name, for example: Eye Contact.
Each look has a list of materials needed, a picture of a teenage girl wearing the look, and a numbered drawing with step by step instructions. Also, each color of shadow is the material list is pictured so there is no confusion.

Many of the looks are doable if you have a good supply of eyeshadow. Some of the looks are outrageous and probably only belong in artistic magazines, but it's great that there's a way for a young girl to achieve these looks.

I myself, am not a teenager but LOVE eyeshadow and this book is perfect for that. I'm experienced enough to switch around colors and do little substitutions or redo looks in a way that I know is best for my eyes so I really do appreciate this book. I am very impressed that the author refrained from advertising any brand of shadows or brushes or anything. She kept it very simple and basic. I have tried several looks so far and have been complimented each time!

I got this for $15 from Barnes and Noble. I would not buy this book again, but I clicked yes because I am recommending that others who want to try more that just a candlelight look on their eyes check this out! You can probably get it cheaper on amazon, where there are also more reviews written.