3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

10 years ago

i first got this in shade 2, but it was too dark and pink for me (i'm an NC20 ~ why does it seem like almost everyone uses MAC for a reference?), so i gave it to my mom (who likes it a lot). i then bought it in shade 1, and it was a good match. this bb cream is a little more moisturizing than the aloe one (i think it's meant for more mature skin anyway), and the consistency is a little thicker, but it still goes on nicely and doesn't feel like i'm wearing makeup. i found that the oil control is pretty much similar to 'aloe' (which is okay, except for my nose, which is a lost cause), and the coverage is medium (also similar to 'aloe'), but it does seem to make my skin a little brighter than 'aloe'. i always get compliments on my skin when i wear it. i'd recommend this for those with dry to normal/combination skin looking for something to brighten their skin and don't require too much coverage.

About reviewer (38 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

2.0

11 years ago

I've got all 3 BB creams from skin food (gingko, aloe vera and mushroom), and gingko is the one that i liked the most, because in comparison with the other 2 it provides more coverage, however, it does not have SPF in it. I've shifted to Aloe Vera because it has SPF20 PA+, but i wasn't satisfied with the coverage, it feels almost like a tinted moisturizer with no coverage at all. For the mushroom, I've only used it once, because i've got combo/oily skin and it feels too heavy on me. I'm a huge fan of BB cream, but I'm not using skin food BB cream anymore, because they've only got two shades, and even the darkest one is too light for me (for reference, I'm a NC30)

About reviewer (120 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

11 years ago

I was never fond of liquid foundations of any kind ever (because of how cakey they tend to be on me). When my friend introduced me to BB Cream, I was quite hesitant. But when she gave me a sample from SkinFood, I was done for. I love SkinFood's Mushroom BB Cream! It only comes in two shades and on my warm deep asian skin, the supposedly darker of the two shades is still too light for me. I think it's because BB Cream originated in Korea, and well, most Koreans are pale. It isn't an awful kind of lighter tone though. Once it sets in, it's very natural (a very lovely dewy tone to it) and it makes me look like I don't have make-up on at all. The SPF's pretty high, so I thought it would be perfect during the summer. I was WRONG. It dried my skin and all the red patches I covered were all SO obvious. It looked as if I was peeling. I didn't expect that to happen because, well this is a form of "cream" right? So it's supposed to hydrate my skin. Not dry it. But aside from summer, I can't help but use this everyday because of the perfect coverage it has on my skin most of the time (I have a love-hate relationship with my face acne!). During rainy seasons, I wear this alone (when I don't have acne). On normal days (when I have minimal acne), I wear this topped with either my MAC Mineralized SkinFinish in Medium Deep or a bronzer. Overall: I gave it a 4 because I love this BB Cream too much for me to rate it any lower! I still use this almost everyday! Price: It says $65 on their website and I tried converting it whether it was in Singapore dollars or USD, and it didn't match the price of how much I got it here in the Philippines. I got it for Php1500 so that's around USD $30 Packaging: It's cute? But the paper-ish cover of the tube really doesn't work for me especially after I put moisturizer on or if I wash my hands first. Now that I think of it, it doesn't look like I paid $30 for it. But, buy it again? Yes! I'm at my 3rd tube BUT I have yet to find the perfect foundation for summer :]

About reviewer (2 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

EyesBlack

3.0

11 years ago

The only reason I gave only three points for this is because I was expecting it to be super amazing... The coverage is sheer, so I would not recomend it to anyone who prefers heavier coverage unless you want to use it just as a primer. However if you do wear it as primer you will have to use sunscreen, bb balm and foundation. And this could be heavy for oily skin:( It feels really light to my skin. I personally like the smell of it however don't worry if you dont like the smell, it dissapears after two minutes or so.... I also got shade two which seems bit light for my skintone:( but if you wait for 10 minutes, it does eventually transform into your skintone. But I don't think the shade is recomended for darker skinned people which is a shame. If there was a shade three I think it would be perfect for my skin. I have only used it twice so I don't know about it's whitening effect(the main reason i am using this). If this product doesnt give me any breakout I will definately purchase this again! Its perfect for those days where you can't be bothered to wear too much makeup! I also thought this gave me more coverage and natural look than my el double wear foundation which I was currently using. I actually found this product similar to botanics instant glow tinted moisteriser, as it has similar coverage however a bit heavier than bb balm. I haven't tried any other bb balms so I can't really compare to them.

About reviewer (21 reviews)

SkinCombination, Tan

2.0

11 years ago

As a tinted moisturizer, I got pretty good coverage from this. Although it looked very sheer when I tested it on the back of my hand, it evened out a lot of the discolouration on my skin and I only needed undereye concealer afterwards. I got the colour 2 and it's a little too light for my skin, I think it would be perfect for a NC20. As a whitening cream (I think it is supposed to be one of its purposes) it was very effective. It added this lighter/brighter tone to my complexion and even conteracted my fake tan. Although I'm not using it for this purpose, I think it would be very effective for someone who wants a brighter complexion, or to lighten some of their blemishes. I got a few small bumps on my face after using this, it wasn't horrendous but definitely noticeable. I didn't get to test out the long term effects because I wanted to be tanned for the summer. I will start using this again come fall, and will update if it leads to significant acne/clogged pores.

About reviewer (166 reviews)

Age25-29

11 years ago

I like this, it smells like vegetables and covers up good. I like it for its ingredient too, mushrooms are good for anti aging. Although I wont repurchase any skinfood bb creams as they tend to cause breakouts of small bumps, not really acne, but clogged pores. They are more suitable for over 25. Although they are really good and I do use them sometimes, just not for consecutive days.

About reviewer (127 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

from

11 years ago

Overall: 5 Price: 3 (~$30 CAN/50g tube) Packaging: 4 Buy again: yes ------------------- I love this BB cream! It's my first one, and I'm not even sure I want to try other ones, simply because I'm so happy with this one. I am a light-med skinned asian, NC25-30. I'm using shade #2. USAGE: I use about a pea-sized amount and dab it all over my face before blending with my fingers. The texture is light a thick tinted moisturizer, but it is very smooth and extremely lightweight, and blends very easily into my skin. I noticed the colour was still a touch too light for me, but as I blended it, it wasn't obvious just gave me a "brightened" more "awake" kind of look that just looks so nice. The finish on me is a satin matte, and I top it off with a light dusting of loose translucent powder (NYC). I'm still surprised by the weightless-ness of this product! It absolutely feels like NOTHING on your face-- there are a bunch of products out there that claim they are lightweight, but you can still feel them. This is like really, nothing. COVERAGE: I do not want a lot of coverage, so for me this is great. It covered my dark circles perfectly without concealer, and really evened out my skintone, and even can double as concealer if you layer it carefully. I would place this in the light-medium coverage category. PACKAGING: this comes in a nude-coloured tube, with a cute label, and there is even detailing on the bottom of the tube cap! I know it is purely aesthetic, but I appreciate the effort put into the package. The tube itself has a small nozzle with an even smaller hole for the product to be dispensed. I like how sanitary and easy to transport the packaging is-- no glass bottles, and no chance of spilling, and it's easy to just get the amount you need. DURABILITY: I wore it for 8 hours, before touching up with oil-blotting sheets. I have combination skin and by the 8 hours I was pretty shiny, though some people might call it "dewy". After I blotted it was perfectly fine. The BB cream didn't oxidize on me, so it stayed true to its colour all day long. I found that the staying power was really good, and didn't emphasize my pores or cake up either. OIL-CONTROL: There isn't a whole lot of oil-control here. I got really shiny by the 7-8 hour mark, and reasonably "dewy" at 4-5 hrs (I just forgot about it after a while...). If you're really oily, this isn't going to help you, just be aware. PRODUCT CLAIMS: It is supposed to whiten your skin, help with anti-ageing, and be a sunblock. I haven't used it long enough to test these claims, but for sure I wouldn't trust the SPF-- it has SPF20 PA+, which isn't very much at all. And since you use such a small amount, I would doubt you're even getting the labeled amount of SPF. I would strongly advise using a moisturizer with SPF or a separate sunscreen underneath. I don't really care about the product claims, I just wanted a really good foundation/face makeup! OVERALL: If you want light-medium coverage without feeling or looking like you're wearing makeup, this is for you! The colour range is limited, however, with a range only suitable for NC10-35, I feel. It is among the cheaper BB creams available, but it is definitely a high quality product! Smooth, easily blended texture, and it doesn't change colour throughout the day or accentuate pores. Only a small amount is needed for each use, so the bottle will last a long time. I would definitely recommend this product, and will repurchase. I simply can't see myself going back to regular makeup again! EDIT: January 27, 2009 I have to lower my rating to 2 lippies-- it makes me breakout and kind of greasy looking. I'm better off with just plain cream/stick concealer. EDIT: May 1, 2009 I am bumping this back up to 5 lippies; I have a better cleanser now (Extra virgin olive oil) and I don't break out after I use it. Plus, I find it works best if I just use it around my eyes, nose, and chin and leave my cheeks bare.

About reviewer (229 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

11 years ago

I've used the Aloe BB Cream, the Gingko one and this Mushroom one. I'm using shade #2 (I'm a Mac NC25) and it seems visible during application but after about an hour, it blends in with my skin and gives me a dewy look which I love. I use this with loose powder. I have only used this for a week and have not really noticed any whitening effects yet but my skin seems to look better! It's pricey here in Singapore. I pay retail like SGD60 for it which is like USD40 :(

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age30-35

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

3.0

11 years ago

as previous reviewers, the product only contains 2 tone, and when I bought it from the sale counter/shop, there's no choice over what tone. THerefore, the colour tone is too white for my skin. Ignoring the whiteness, it is a good cover tinted moisturiser. It doesnt make your face oily especially in humid climate, which is why it is suitable for the Asia market. I wore this in UK and France (in Summer) and it sits on my face perfectly. It also act as a good concealor, but I have not dare to try to put around my eye. Because it is a bit thick in my opinion, I use a dual foundation sponge to apply on my face. It sits on my face for a fairly long time, it definitely last for more than 6 hours without re-applying. Because it is a BB Cream, I am happy to put it in my handbag and take it out to apply on my face when needed. I cheated and apply in other parts (i.e. hands) as it has gd SPF index. would I recommend it to other ppl, yes!!! only if it suits your skin tone _____________________ edited: ok I found out the whiteness problem For bb cream, you only apply very little to your face and just 'push' it around until it totally absorb into your skin and match the colour. You only requires: if you pull it as a long line, you only need 1.5cm that's the size of a pea then you apply it a drop on forehead, on nose, two side of cheeks and chin (which is a total of 5 drops from the pea) you also need to wait for 15 mins, that's for the cream to change its colour to suit your skin tone now that I know what I'm doing, I totally recommend it to anyone

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age25-29

EyesBlack

from

11 years ago

I am so glad to jump on the bandwagon of the BB cream craze! This is much more than a primer--covers more than half of discolorations of my skin AND gives me the subtle, very right amount of healthy glow on my skin. I am super-sensitive to so many cosmetic products but this is the ONLY product that I can put around my eyes and never get irritated, which is amazing. Given there are very few products containing high SPF that I can put around my eyes, this is definitely a treasure to me. A very little amount goes very far. One minor weakness of this product that there are only two color selections and the darker tone (No. 2) is a bit lighter for my skin during the summer. However, during the fall and winter, it's the perfect shade for me. As for the skin whitening power, I am not really sure if it is highly effective because in addition to this, I put higher SPF sunscreen underneath and am using other skincare products that contain anti-oxidants.

About reviewer (110 reviews)

Age36-43