EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41

Active Ingredients: 9.0 Zinc oxide, 7.0 Titanium dioxideIngredients as of 09/2011. REFORMULATED TO A MUCH DARKER TINT: Ingredients (alphabetical order): Aluminum Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Hydrated Silica, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Octyl Stearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Perfluoronyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate 13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Purified Water, Quercitin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Selenite, Soft Tex Yellow Iron Oxide-C337773, Soft Tex Red Iron Oxide-C337775, Soft Tex Russett Iron Oxide-C337721, Soft Tex Black Iron Oxide-C337751, Thioctic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

I purchased this after watching Dr Dray's videos as this is her staple sunscreen. I started using Differin at night recently and using Biore UV Watery Essence burns my face. So I jumped the gun and bought this without having tried it, haha.

Pros:
- light weight
- buildable
- tint is natural (I'm usually NC20-25, but my face looks sunburnt from Differin)
- completely non-irritating to my now-fragile skin
- looks great under liquid foundation (I wore Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in a humid and warmish weather, and it looked great after walking around Mong Kok, Hong Kong the whole afternoon)

Cons:
- a little bit greasy feeling after application but it could be that I didn't give it enough time to absorb before starting my makeup routine
- a bit pricey but a little goes a long way

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love Elta MD and adore their UV sport moisturizer, which is the only thing I've found that contains physical sunscreen but doesn't make me look like a ghost when I sweat. So I expected to like this but...I didn't. I found it very drying, and despite my best efforts to finish the tube (I hate wasting product) I ended up chucking it. The tint was okay, and blended in with a little rubbing, but it might be nice if they came out with a few shades of this for darker skin folks because, as much as they want to say it's one-size-fits-all, it's not. It's for white people who aren't too pale. If your complexion is light and your skin is oily you will probably love this.

I really like this physical sunscreen. I live in Australia and get it sent from the U.S. it doesn’t leave my skin a washed out color like other zinc-based sunscreens and I don’t break out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

The reason I bought this sunscreen was because a dermatologist said it would help my hyperpigmentation because the ingredients include iron oxide, which helps protect against visible light. Visible light contributes to sun damage as well as UV light, which zinc & titanium dioxide only block.

I have oily, acne-prone skin, and I'm very fair. This works well for my skin type. The tint is a bit too dark for me. I get away with it by using it down my neck, but I know I'll be way to pale to use this in the winter. The tint gives so much coverage I don't need any foundation or concealer. This tint does look a bit dull, because of the titanium dioxide, so I wouldn't where this anywhere nice,, like a wedding.

I love using this in the summer in place of foundation or concealer, because then I can reapply it easily. I usually put a bit of powder on afterwards to take down the shine (which is minimal)

edit: I forgot to add that this does not hold up when exercising heavily, or in severe heat (98 degrees). This is better for a casual summer day. I prefer Blue Lizard in extreme heat, when I'm more likely to be sweating.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was recommended this by my dermatologist after she prescribed me this topical acne treatment. I usually have oily/combo/slightly sensitive skin, but the treatment has made my skin dry. I purchased this sunscreen on amazon for around $22 and it comes with 3 oz/85 g of product. The thing I like about this product is the amount of SPF it has. And I don't break out with this sunscreen like I do with most. The sunscreen is also oil-free and chemical-free and provides both UVA and UVB protection. And for those reasons alone, I'd probably buy it again.
The number one thing that I can't stand about this product is that once you apply it, it'll cling to all of your dry patches. I wear this under my foundation and it makes applying the foundation difficult and my makeup goes on patchy and uneven because the sunscreen makes my dryness worse. Even applying moisturizer before hasn't helped. If you have dry skin, I wouldn't recommend this product because it does tend to make dry skin even drier and your dry patches will be made worse. It should be fine for those who have oily/combo/normal skin, and I haven't noticed that the sunscreen made my skin oilier throughout the day.
Another thing I dislike about this product is that it claims to be tinted, which I was happy about because I don't always like the white cast some sunscreens give. I have a tan complexion and the white cast makes me look rather ghostly. When I first squeezed the product out of the tube, it was the color of my foundation, but as I applied it, it started turning white and I ended up looking like a ghost. This sunscreen makes me look paler than I actually am. I have noticed if you let it sit for about an hour, it will soak into your skin and the white cast will fade.
Overall it does the job as a good sunscreen, but the fact that it accentuates the dry areas on my skin is what makes me dislike it. It also has a white cast, which will absorb into the skin within a few hours.

worst sunscreen ever! made my skin dry like crazy. definitely clogging pores and flaring up my eczema. i bought it after reading excellent reviews that this physical sunscreen recommended for eczema skin. it takes weeks to bring my skin back to normal. worst and disappointing!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

The EltaMD line is all very high quality with excellent ingredients and packaging, but one of my biggest complaints is the uniformity of that packaging can make it difficult to distinguish between one product and the other. I've been using them for many years now and have accidentally bought several different sunscreens from this line, thinking I was buying the same I'd previously purchased. Looking back through my Amazon history helps make matters clearer and I've now resorted to taking notes on the exact product name every time I wind up buying the wrong thing. EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41 is a very good sunscreen, but I didn't like the yellowish cast of the tint. Even more bothersome is the smell, which doesn't fade. I'll catch whiffs of this for the entire day, and while it isn't particularly unpleasant it's not something I want to be breathing all day. For what it's worth EltaMD UV Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 and EltaMD UV Clear both have the same issue, I applied the UV Clear at 8AM, it is now 2PM and I still smell it every time I turn my head. The formula that works best for me is Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free, which has no smell, no tint, and while it has a slightly moist finish is easy enough to mattify with a powder foundation.

This is one of the best sunscreens I've used. I'm a sunscreen fanatic, I honestly believe if you are not going to protect your skin from the sun, skincare is just a waste of time. I'm 59 now, and have used sunscreen since 24. I have no wrinkles, only some fine lines around eyes.Years ago, we didn't have the knowledge we have now about sunscreens,I didn't even know what broad spectrum meant and had certainly never heard of PA+++ .But obviously , what I was using back then was better than nothing.This has it all. It is a very good broad spectrum sunscreen with a high zinc oxide content, one of the best UVA blockers.This is tinted. The tint might not suit everyone , but it is perfect for my NW 15/20 complexion. As with all sunscreens you must apply the 1/4 teaspoon to get the required protection. I don't understand those who use sunscreen saying" a little goes a long way" . It dosen't you have to use the required amount.I thought this might be a problem with this as it is tinted and I use it as a foundation. But I can pile this on.It seems a bit much on application but once on it's fine and I am confident I'm being protected .Never looks cakey and does not dry out my skin.I actually find it quite moisturising on my combination skin.All I use under this is a vit c serum and sometimes an eye cream, I don't moisturise as such although if you're dry it's probably a good idea, but I don't need to.Leaves no white cast as it's tinted.No stinging the eyes either, I can't tolerate chemical sunscreens around eyes.That's the problem with most physical sunscreens the white cast, although some are worse than others. Paula's Choice do a good zinc oxide tinted sunscreen but I find that one drying, although it is a good product.Elta MD UV physical is all I've ever wanted in a sunscreen.The only downside is it can be stubborn to remove, but a good cleansing routine( as we should all have) takes care of that.This stuff is so cheap for the amount you get, although I'm in UK so I have to order online so I do pay a good bit more than you guys in the US. But I highly recommend this product. Sure, there are some bad reviews for it, that's the case with all products, but this is sure worth a try if you want a good physical sunscreen that dosen't leave a white cast,is non greasy, and offers excellent protection.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My sister recommended this sunscreen to me as I was hunting for mineral sunscreen after reading a lot of articles on the internet saying chemical sunscreen can cause a lot of damages especially hormones. My sister's dermatologist recommended this product to her as she has extremely sensitive, dry, rosacea skin. She gets allergic reaction with a lot of brands (Clinique, Lancôme, La Prairie etc). She has no allergic reaction to this sunscreen, and loves this product.

While I only have extremely dry skin, my face didn't like this sunscreen at all. When I first put it on top of my moisturiser, it felt good, not greasy at all, smooth and very easy to blend. However, after a few hours, I have noticed my skin started to feel a bit tight. And when I washed it off in the evening after only 5-6 hours, I have noticed my face had a few dry patches caused by the sunscreen. Tried it a few more times, same results, causing dry patches on my face. And the last time I put it on, it caused two big dry patches under my eyes and over my eyelids, took me 3 weeks to get my skin back to normal.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin. I also like to wear makeup. I have been on a search for a daily facial sunscreen and this is the winner! Chemical sunscreens burn my eyes. Physical sunscreens sit on top of my skin, leaving a white cast and/or pills up under makeup. This sunscreen has not broken me out and works amazingly well underneath my makeup. The tint works well with my light olive-toned skin. I do put on a moisturizer before this since this does not offer any moisturizing benefits and can be drying without it. To be fair, Elta MD does not list this sunscreen as a moisturizer like some of their other sunscreens. It is purely a sunscreen with some antioxidant benefits. I honestly don't mind the extra step of applying a moisturizer before, because in the end I get perfect results! Make sure to wash it off in the evening with a good facial cleanser. It is a 100% physical sunscreen, so it stays sitting on top of the skin. Overall, the price is very good compared to other high quality sunscreens. The sunscreen spreads very easily across the face. I have been searching for months for a facial sunscreen and the search is over! :)