EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41

Active Ingredients: 9.0 Zinc oxide, 7.0 Titanium dioxideIngredients as of 09/2011. REFORMULATED TO A MUCH DARKER TINT: Ingredients (alphabetical order): Aluminum Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Hydrated Silica, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Octyl Stearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Perfluoronyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate 13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Purified Water, Quercitin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Selenite, Soft Tex Yellow Iron Oxide-C337773, Soft Tex Red Iron Oxide-C337775, Soft Tex Russett Iron Oxide-C337721, Soft Tex Black Iron Oxide-C337751, Thioctic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was recommended this by my dermatologist after she prescribed me this topical acne treatment. I usually have oily/combo/slightly sensitive skin, but the treatment has made my skin dry. I purchased this sunscreen on amazon for around $22 and it comes with 3 oz/85 g of product. The thing I like about this product is the amount of SPF it has. And I don't break out with this sunscreen like I do with most. The sunscreen is also oil-free and chemical-free and provides both UVA and UVB protection. And for those reasons alone, I'd probably buy it again.
The number one thing that I can't stand about this product is that once you apply it, it'll cling to all of your dry patches. I wear this under my foundation and it makes applying the foundation difficult and my makeup goes on patchy and uneven because the sunscreen makes my dryness worse. Even applying moisturizer before hasn't helped. If you have dry skin, I wouldn't recommend this product because it does tend to make dry skin even drier and your dry patches will be made worse. It should be fine for those who have oily/combo/normal skin, and I haven't noticed that the sunscreen made my skin oilier throughout the day.
Another thing I dislike about this product is that it claims to be tinted, which I was happy about because I don't always like the white cast some sunscreens give. I have a tan complexion and the white cast makes me look rather ghostly. When I first squeezed the product out of the tube, it was the color of my foundation, but as I applied it, it started turning white and I ended up looking like a ghost. This sunscreen makes me look paler than I actually am. I have noticed if you let it sit for about an hour, it will soak into your skin and the white cast will fade.
Overall it does the job as a good sunscreen, but the fact that it accentuates the dry areas on my skin is what makes me dislike it. It also has a white cast, which will absorb into the skin within a few hours.

worst sunscreen ever! made my skin dry like crazy. definitely clogging pores and flaring up my eczema. i bought it after reading excellent reviews that this physical sunscreen recommended for eczema skin. it takes weeks to bring my skin back to normal. worst and disappointing!

To Read all 89 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

The EltaMD line is all very high quality, with excellent ingredients and packaging, but one of my biggest complaints is the uniformity of their packaging can make it difficult to distinguish between one product and the other. I've been using them for many years now and have accidentally bought several different products thinking I was buying the same one I had bought previously. Looking back through my Amazon history helps make matters clearer, and I've now resorted to taking notes on the exact product name every time I wind up buying the wrong thing. EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41 is a very good sunscreen, but I didn't like the yellowish cast of the tint. Even more bothersome is the smell, which doesn't fade. I'll catch whiffs of this for the entire day, and while the smell isn't particularly unpleasant it's not something I want to be breathing all day. For what it's worth EltaMD UV Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 has the same issue - I was lucky enough to get a sample of this one without buying the entire bottle and I'm wearing it right now. I applied this at 8AM, it is now 2PM and I still smell it every time I turn my head. The formula that works best for me is Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free, which has no smell, no tint, and while it has a slightly moist finish is easy enough to mattify with a powder foundation.

This is one of the best sunscreens I've used. I'm a sunscreen fanatic, I honestly believe if you are not going to protect your skin from the sun, skincare is just a waste of time. I'm 59 now, and have used sunscreen since 24. I have no wrinkles, only some fine lines around eyes.Years ago, we didn't have the knowledge we have now about sunscreens,I didn't even know what broad spectrum meant and had certainly never heard of PA+++ .But obviously , what I was using back then was better than nothing.This has it all. It is a very good broad spectrum sunscreen with a high zinc oxide content, one of the best UVA blockers.This is tinted. The tint might not suit everyone , but it is perfect for my NW 15/20 complexion. As with all sunscreens you must apply the 1/4 teaspoon to get the required protection. I don't understand those who use sunscreen saying" a little goes a long way" . It dosen't you have to use the required amount.I thought this might be a problem with this as it is tinted and I use it as a foundation. But I can pile this on.It seems a bit much on application but once on it's fine and I am confident I'm being protected .Never looks cakey and does not dry out my skin.I actually find it quite moisturising on my combination skin.All I use under this is a vit c serum and sometimes an eye cream, I don't moisturise as such although if you're dry it's probably a good idea, but I don't need to.Leaves no white cast as it's tinted.No stinging the eyes either, I can't tolerate chemical sunscreens around eyes.That's the problem with most physical sunscreens the white cast, although some are worse than others. Paula's Choice do a good zinc oxide tinted sunscreen but I find that one drying, although it is a good product.Elta MD UV physical is all I've ever wanted in a sunscreen.The only downside is it can be stubborn to remove, but a good cleansing routine( as we should all have) takes care of that.This stuff is so cheap for the amount you get, although I'm in UK so I have to order online so I do pay a good bit more than you guys in the US. But I highly recommend this product. Sure, there are some bad reviews for it, that's the case with all products, but this is sure worth a try if you want a good physical sunscreen that dosen't leave a white cast,is non greasy, and offers excellent protection.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My sister recommended this sunscreen to me as I was hunting for mineral sunscreen after reading a lot of articles on the internet saying chemical sunscreen can cause a lot of damages especially hormones. My sister's dermatologist recommended this product to her as she has extremely sensitive, dry, rosacea skin. She gets allergic reaction with a lot of brands (Clinique, LancĂ´me, La Prairie etc). She has no allergic reaction to this sunscreen, and loves this product.

While I only have extremely dry skin, my face didn't like this sunscreen at all. When I first put it on top of my moisturiser, it felt good, not greasy at all, smooth and very easy to blend. However, after a few hours, I have noticed my skin started to feel a bit tight. And when I washed it off in the evening after only 5-6 hours, I have noticed my face had a few dry patches caused by the sunscreen. Tried it a few more times, same results, causing dry patches on my face. And the last time I put it on, it caused two big dry patches under my eyes and over my eyelids, took me 3 weeks to get my skin back to normal.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin. I also like to wear makeup. I have been on a search for a daily facial sunscreen and this is the winner! Chemical sunscreens burn my eyes. Physical sunscreens sit on top of my skin, leaving a white cast and/or pills up under makeup. This sunscreen has not broken me out and works amazingly well underneath my makeup. The tint works well with my light olive-toned skin. I do put on a moisturizer before this since this does not offer any moisturizing benefits and can be drying without it. To be fair, Elta MD does not list this sunscreen as a moisturizer like some of their other sunscreens. It is purely a sunscreen with some antioxidant benefits. I honestly don't mind the extra step of applying a moisturizer before, because in the end I get perfect results! Make sure to wash it off in the evening with a good facial cleanser. It is a 100% physical sunscreen, so it stays sitting on top of the skin. Overall, the price is very good compared to other high quality sunscreens. The sunscreen spreads very easily across the face. I have been searching for months for a facial sunscreen and the search is over! :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This product is slightly better to other better quality high-end sunscreens. I like the very slight tint in it, it gives me incentive to use it every day. It has a nice, light texture. It dries quickly and it is not sticky nor does it melt in the heat. This is a good product I will keep on using it.

As a transplanted New Yorker now living in Miami, it was a must that I switch from beach-day only sunscreen use to every-day sunscreen use. I am very sensitive to chemical sunscreens (makes my eyes hurt no matter how far away from my eyes I apply the product), and I hate a coated feeling (I never wear foundation, even for special events, because I hate my face feeling coated). EltaMD Physical has checked all the boxes for me, and I have been wearing it daily for a couple of years now. It is cosmetically elegant, feels weightless, does not make my combo skin shiny, and does the job in terms of sun protection. I initially purchased it at my derm's office, but have since found better prices online.

The most ironic thing is that it leaves a horrible white cast but the package says it's "tinted". I can't stand the greasy, shining looking of my face after applying this sunscreen, although it finally blends into my skin tone after 3 hours. Will go for Japanese sunscreens.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have tried other tinted moisturizers without any great love - too heavy, too gummy and plastic colors. This one is light in feel and look. Just what I was looking for - not too much! I also like that I found it in my dermatologists office at the check out. They endorse the line, but do not mention it. I just happened to see it and ask.