A'kin - Unscented 24 Hour Pure Moisture

A'kin - Unscented 24 Hour Pure Moisture

3.0

Aqua (purified Australian water*), panthenol (pro Vit B5), hydrogenated lecithin (and) C12-16 alcohols (and) palmitic acid, glycerin (botanical source), sorbitol (from GMO free maize), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil (cold pressed Australian grown), sucrose stearate (from sugar beet & palm), mannitol (and) ammonium glycyrrhizate (and) caffeine (and) zinc gluconate (and) aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut) extract, persia gratissima (avocado) oil unsaponifiables, tocopheryl acetate (Vit E) (botanical source), squalane (from olives), bisabolol (botanical source), echium plantagineum (vipers bugloss) seed oil, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, phenoxyethanol (and) ethylhexylglycerin, xanthan gum, glyceryl laurate (botanical source), sodium gluconate (from GMO free corn), butyrospermum parkii (certified organic shea butter), alpha lipoic acid, citric acid (botanical source), lecithin (and) tocopherol (and) ascorbyl palmitate (and) hydrogenated palm glycerides citrate, persia gratissima (avocado) oil (certified organic cold pressed Australian grown), ***fusanus spicatus wood (West Australian sandalwood) oil***, caprylic/capric triglyceride (from coconut & palm) (and) carotenoids (from marine algae), chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract. *BP 2000 standard.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I am normally wary of skincare products marketed as all-natural and organic because they usually contain unnecessary scents, however naturally-derived, that irritate my skin. As this product was marketed as unscented, I thought it would be a safe choice. That A'kin do not test on animals was also a deciding factor in my purchase. Unfortunately, I cannot personally recommend it for anyone with sensitive skin.

The product was not completely unscented as I expected, because the ingredients used seem to have contributed to a perfumed smell regardless. Upon first application, it stung my face. My face felt moisturised but only for a few hours; the claim of 24-hour moisture is preposterous. I thought I'd stick it out a bit longer, but after a week of usage, my was face breaking out into red splotches and the stinging sensation never went away. When you also take into consideration the less than hygienic jar-packaging, the price point, and the lack of moisture pay-off, I do not feel like this is a worthwhile purchase for people looking for a sensitive skin moisturiser.

A'kin may like to flog the 'Power of Purity', but for some of us, the power of purity can hurt.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am so wrapt in this product and have been using it for several years now. I love the dewy, light texture and the slightest smell of wheatfields in the breeze whenever I open the lid. I have skin that is dry and very sensitive and reacts to creams which are too rich or have a strong perfume, so this product is perfect for me. I find it soothes and hydrates my skin beautifully, in fact by evening my skin even feels a tad oily, which I appreciate. It does take a little massaging in, but isn't that good for the skin? I feel I'm stimulating the circulation and smoothing away the wrinkles. Once absorbed, my skin glows. Unlike others, I don't mind the jar. There is no wastage at the bottom of a pump bottle or fiddling around with a tube, just dip and apply. I would love it to be a bit less expensive, but for me it's worth it.

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

My friend recommended Rose & Geranium Pure Creamy Cleanser & Toner in One to me and this moituriser came in as a freebie.

I have combination skin which tends to be oily especially at the T-Zone. I have no prob by using this moisturiser at night time together with the rosehip oil, and when i wake up the next day, my skin looks well-hydrated. But when i apply it in the morning without the rosehip oil, my face (esp T-zone) gets really oily in the afternoon. I have to wipe my t-zone with alot of blot papers.

I'm not sure is it because of the shea butter? I'll try to avoid around my t-zone next time.

on 8/23/2011 10:36:00 AM

i have used this product a couple of times and it caused me to have a flare up of ezcema and my skin was red and dry and stinging. my face was even stinging when i only used water on my face. it also has a strange texture. my skin was not even very senstive. i have also had a reaction to a few other a'kin products. i would be careful if you have sensitive or ezcema prone skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I have reasonably sensitive skin but I have never had a problem with any other moisturiser like I have had with this one! I used it for about two months and gradually I developed all these red blotches on my face as well as dry patches. My skin became extremely painful. Eventually I had to rush out and buy Avene Tolerance Extreme Cream to fix the problem. I mentioned my problem on Twitter and a friend had a similar experience with an A'kin product. I won't be buying any A'kin products in the future.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm the fence about this one. I have extremely sensitive skin: I've had perioral dermatitis on-and-off for the past four years, my skin is deathly dry all over, but I'm prone to break outs and clogging when I use the wrong product. Right now my HG moisturizer is from the Lavera neutral line--it helps calm my POD, it moisturizes, and it does not clog. But I wanted something to give my dry skin a little boost: a plumped, healthy, hydrated look. So I got a sample of this A'kin moisturizer. I was initially wowed! It did what Lavera's neutral facial fluid did, but it made my skin look more hydrated, plumper and dewier. Love love loved it! So I bought the tub. Using it at least once a day (either night or day) however I've run into problems. I got periorbital dermatitis around my eyes, I was getting plugs/blackheads on my checks, and I got some millia around my eyes which wouldn't dissipate so had to get them extracted. Also when I worked out, though my skin look soooo amazing with this on, I could feel that the sweat couldn't get through the occlusive barrier. Very weird feeling after using lighter, breathable moisturizers all my life.

There's jojoba oil in this. It acts as an occlusive, and for people with pore clogging problems (or even overproduction of skin cell problem like seborrheic dermatitis, or a perioral dermatitis like mine which behaves like an overproduction of skin cells and sebum), this will not work.

Sadly I think the very thing that my skin reacts negatively to--the jojoba oil--is the ingredient responsible for the extra hydrated look. If you don't have these types of skin problems, this organic extra-hydrating moisturizer will give you dreamy, youthful skin.

Will keep trying it out to see if my skin will ever make peace with this.

on 8/6/2009 3:11:00 PM

I don't know why this has such a bad rating, I actually really like the product. It really helped to calm down my sensitive, redness prone skin and it seems to help prevent breakouts (hormonal) too. The 2nd ingredient after aqua is panthenol (pro-vitamin B5) and there are lots of reviews out there that this helps with acne. Mostly it is recommended to take tablets, which I tried for a while during quite a bad outbreak phase, and while it seemed to help, I don't really like to take it in the required high doses over a longer period. In one of the main studies re B5, it was also applied topically, which is the reason why I searched for a topical B5 cream. This is the only one I could find, apart from Bepanthen (which is very good, but also very fatty and not appropriate as a face cream for combo skin - it's a diaper and wound cream). I did not buy the a'kin 24 hour cream for a year due to the bad reviews here (which are usually quite reliable), but I really regret not having bought it earlier now.
That being said, it might be too light for dry/very dry skin. Personally, it suits me perfectly in summer, and while it is, mixed with a serum, still fine in winter , I prefer a more protective cream in winter (Neal's Yard Frankincense Hydrating Cream, which doesn't break me out, and frankincense is actually quite antibacterial and good for acne conditions).

on 5/25/2009 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have sensitive, problem skin and I LOVE this product. My only gripe, as with other reviewers, is the packaging! I took off a lippie for it. My skin is so sensitive I'm very mindful of bacteria and I just don't like dipping my fingers into a tub full of moist cream. If they provided this in a pump bottle I'd buy it again and again. That said, it is a really nice product and saves my skin in winter when it gets too dry for lotions.

BTW A'kin now have a lotion in a pump container, it's got green tea and caffeine in it I think...? I may give that a try :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I actually really liked this product. I had very dry skin after pregnancy and this combined with the A'kin facial scrub has completely solved it. My bumpy, flaky, ultra-sensitive skin is now baby-soft and smooth.
Totally agree with the other reviews about the packaging, I would much prefer a pump or tube, especially as it's a natural product so isn't laden with preservatives and it certainly isn't cheap, but bar any future problems, this is now my HG moisturiser.

on 11/2/2008 1:07:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I bought this when I was having problems with my skin reacting to other products. It certainly hasn't caused any adverse reactions, so I would recommend trying it if you have very sensitive skin.

Other than that, it doesn't really seem to do much for my skin, I don't feel like it is really absorbed well. I really have to rub it in or it leaves a white cast on my face. Also, as the previous reviewer has mentioned, it would be much more hygenic in a tube. It's not particularly thick, so there's no reason that it has to be in a tub.