MISSHA M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42

MISSHA  M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42

3.8

Before I actually start my review, I'll give a little background. I'm in my mid-20s, Asian, with relatively sensitive NC25 skin. As a teen, I had extremely oily skin and breakouts along my t-zone. I am now experiencing a resurgence of breakouts (pimples, whiteheads) as a result of hormones and environmental factors. My skin type has also changed from oily to normal/combination.
With that said, this is only the second review I've ever been compelled to write because I had such a horrifying experience with this BB cream. After hearing so much hype, I feel like it's necessary to give a warning to all the girls out there that are desperately trying to get their hands on this. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!
I am currently living in Korea, where Missha is quite inexpensive and widely available. My aunt recommended this product to me, citing its cheap price (20,000 won, which is about 15 USD) and the good results she got from using it. I've never used BB cream in the past and was keen to give it a try, especially since Missha products are so inexpensive compared to the Giorgio Armani primer and foundation I normally use.
I purchased the 21 shade, which was a tad too light, but the 23 was too dark. I started using this product daily. The packaging is actually kind of convenient--it comes in tube form, with a pump to dispense the cream. I'd pump it just once, spread it over my face, and continue with my regular makeup routine. Right away though, I noticed that I didn't love the consistency. It was very creamy--none of the pulling and tugging that some of the BB creams I've used since require. This might seem like a good thing, but it was just too liquid and rich, which made it sit very oily on my face.
A week or two into using this product, I started breaking out WORSE THAN I EVER HAD BEFORE IN MY LIFE. Big, painful, cystic acne all over my face--even in areas where I have never broken out before: my cheeks, forehead, along my hair and jaw lines, and around my lips. At first, I didn't suspect the BB cream and chalked it up to stress.
However, after the breakouts kept getting worse, I went to the dermatologist for a visit and a skin cleaning/extraction. The aesthetician who was extracting my zits got down to work and I heard her gasp. She asked what I was using as a BB cream and I told her I was using Missha. She commanded me to stop using it immediately as it was horribly clogging my pores. As she squeezed and cleaned each blemish, BEIGE CREAM WAS COMING OUT, which is how she knew it was BB cream. It was trapped in there, causing my huge, inflamed cystic acne. I was horrified and thinking about it now is literally making me shudder.
I know that this product has done wonders for many of its loyal users. But ladies, sometimes a product really is just too good to be true. Missha isn't widely available in many other countries so please beware before you try to hunt this down and spend a pretty penny trying to get it shipped to you. After discontinuing use, my breakouts have stopped but I have big, red scars from the cystic acne and small residual bumps that I'm still trying to get rid of, which will require a lot of patience and expensive visits to the dermatologist. My skin has never looked or felt worse, which has really affected me and my self-esteem.
This product might work for you, but I would NEVER recommend it to anyone and suggest that you be careful using it. It's by far the worst product I've ever used.
Edit: A couple of people have asked me what I use to cleanse my skin at night. I use Dermaviduals DMS, which is a cleansing milk from Germany that I get from my dermatologist, and I alternate between Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 3% Facial Wash and LUSH Fresh Farmacy, followed by LUSH Tea Tree Toner. All are really effective at getting my face really clean so I don't know how it was possible for the BB cream to clog my pores so badly.

on 4/15/2009 4:54:00 AM

I've used a different BB cream in the Missha line, but I feel like I need to clear some stuff up about BB cream for some people - it sounds like a LOT of the reviewers are using WAY too much of this stuff, and/or not cleansing properly afterwards! If it's caking on you, if you look really "chalky," if you used a BRUSH to put this stuff on - YOU ARE USING TOO MUCH. This stuff isn't meant to be heavy coverage, if you need that use the BB cream as a base for a powder foundation or something.

I live in Japan, according to the pro makeup artist who started the whole BB cream mania over here, the best way to apply is to start with a clean, exfoliated face (the MUA recommends silk coccoon balls, but at any rate get your flakies off first!), moisturize (for the complete "Korean skincare" experience, Sonbayu/horse oil is rec'd, but any good moisturizer should be OK), then take a SMALL amount of the cream, warm it up a bit in your hands, and gently massage it into your face, starting from the center and spreading it outwards. A little of this goes a LONG way. You may have to use some concealer (Hanskin makes a BB concealer if you prefer), and I always set with powder (my favorite right now is a Japanese stage-makeup brand called MIU) - if the powder cakes on you and it doesn't normally do that, you probably didn't apply the BB cream right, wipe some of that junk off.

You really need to use a good cleanser to get this off - oil is probably best. It's just as hard to get off as sunscreen, and because it looks so natural you might not even realize you didn't get it all out - I think many cases (though certainly not all) of people breaking out from BB cream are because of this.

There are better & worse brands than Missha (right now Etude House Magic BB & Avia Perfect BB seem to have the best reputation in Japan), but just remember that this stuff is different than foundation when you apply and you should have better results.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Shades Comparison Reference:
#13 Milky Beige - NC10
#21 Light Beige - NC20
#23 Natural Beige - NC20, NC25*, NC30
#27 Honey Beige - NC30, NC35

(All based on other people's reviews)
* most people using #23 state they have NC25 skin tone but there have been a few that caution #23 users to be below the color range of NC27-30. YMMV :/

Testers: in my experience as a NC20-25, #21 will be a closer match than #23 if you take into account of oxidation and (an accidentally) heavy hand.

The #21 has a strong pink base that is really obvious against someone with yellow skin tone (me). It has more of a brightening effect that is still natural if not put on too heavily.

The #23 has a STRONG yellow tone that would be great for those who are more tanned and have a yellow skin tone (NC25+). Personally I thought it had a slight orange tint as it oxidized...though the sales girl did say this had a 'natural finish' for those who matches the shade.

Neither had much lasting power. They were tried on the back of my hand right after being cleansed. It lasted maybe 2 hours? Not quite until the next time I had to wash my hands. It might last longer if set with powder.

on 9/3/2009 3:34:00 PM

I love this BBcream, it's perfect for the summer. It has a whooping SPF of 42+ in it which is just awesome. BBcream stands for Blemish Balm Cream, which originated from Germany. Doctors used it on patients with damaged skin to heal, but somehow it turned into this phenomenon in Korea. BBcreams are the hottest thing in the Korean market right now and its spreading across China, Taiwan, Singapore, etc

Shade: #21, which is the lighter shade. It's light with yellow undertones. The darker shade seems to have more of greyish pink tint to it. However, if you have NC25-30ish skin, I suggest to go with the darker shade. I have fairly pale skin and I only use a tiny pea size of this which seems to match and not make me look like a ghost in the face with a dark neck.
* For reference I am MAC NC20, MUFE HD 117

Texture: It's thicker and creamier than the other BBCreams I used (Skin79, Shills, L'egere) but it's very blendable. DO NOT try to build up from it. If you need more coverage, use a concealer. BBCreams are not FOUNDATIONS and NOT CONCEALERS. Think of it as a tinted moisturizer. Building up will only clog your pores.

Coverage: Good coverage. I would say medium. I use a very small amount with a SPONGE, so it evens out my skintones and covers little blemishes I have. I still use a concealer for undereye circles and blot powder on top.

Ok, I know BBCreams are a pain in the ass to remove. But you have to really remove it or its gonna stay in your pores! :^O I wash my face with warm water and then use a oil cleanser (La Roche Posey). Use a facial cotten to wipe off from the SIDE of your nose since this is the part thats hard to reach. Afterwards, just do your daily skincare regimen. I find that this bbcream tends to dry out your skin so I don't recommend it for the winter. Remember to moisturize and moisturize! If you have dry skin, use a toner or lotion if it helps.

Overall, I like this BBcream, and will continue purchasing it but I still want to try out other brands. Hehe.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(Had to edit!)

I've had this for a couple of months now and I did have some issues at first; even with moisturizer and primer, it still dried very cakey. Now that I've perfected my skincare routine for this product, #23 is just great for me. I know others have had issues with dryness and/or cakeyness and/or "grey" toned skin, so I figured I'd give a couple of hints.

(As a reference point, I'm NW20 and NC25 in MAC)

First things first.

Korean BB creams are NOT the same as American BB creams! No, no they are not! If a Korean BB cream represents the favourite child, its American counterpart is the red-headed step-child.

Korean = champagne
US = Mr Pibb.

And that's perfectly okay - sometimes you want a glass of luxury, sometimes you want a mouth full of sugar saturated soft drink. Both have their places.

Moving on then.

I bought #23 and it arrived very quickly. The packaging is ... well, to me it looks like one of my late Mum's expensive face creams so I tend to associate the burgundy/gold with spendy. It also has a pump dispenser which does promote lack'o'bacteria at least to some extent.

Out of all the various potions and lotions sitting around, I couldn't make up my mind so I eventually reached into pile and randomly pulled one out (ELF's BB cream) to act as a control. Each was put to the test

Fragrance: If ELF's smell is the cutest most adorable little chubby-cheeked newborn, then MISSHA would smell like the wrong end of the baby. Weird.

Consistency: MISSHA is markedly thicker than ELF. If anyone can remember Avon's foundations from say...1990...MISSHA would have just about the same consistency.

Coverage: MISSHA won this hands down. ELF is great for "oh crap I need a gallon of mik, what's the quickest way to make myself look less frightening to other shoppers" crises. MISSHA on the other hand ran off ahead of ELF, did its shopping and carried the bags home before ELF had even got out of bed.

Blendability: MISSHA does take longer to blend down, so ELF won this round

Longevity: Again MISSHA ran circles around ELF.

Hints:

If you're oily: don't prep your skin too much. This formula moisturizes on its own.
If you're dry: moisturize!
If you're normal or combination: common sense tells us to moisturize the dry bits alone.

Pump some out, and apply it to your skin. I use my fingers for application and a bit of blending (I'm such a rebel), and a concealer brush to just to make sure I'm not streaky.

If the shade looks grey, give it 10 minutes or so. It will adapt. Don't add more - please don't add more. If you're still not happy with it, wash it off and try again the next day.

The truth is that this cream is just not going to work for some people unless they use a bunch of other products and that sort of defeats the object. If this includes you, call it a lesson learned - at least you know that you won't use it, right?

After you're good with the final-ish shade, set it with translucent powder (or not at all - it's up to you). If you're oily you should get a good 5-6 hours, if you're dry or combo, you'll get a lot longer if you've primed first.

An important point for sensitive folk: this is one of the more perfumed products I've used, so bear that in mind.

Ultimately this is an excellent product for some people (I'm one), but it's not going to be a "everyone can wear it" product. I'm going to keep buying and buying though - it has become one of my Holy Grails.

* I asked my husband to help me. I told him it was all sciency and stuff, and that's why he's currently walking around with foundations and BB creams covering his arms.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I really like this stuff. I have over 16 BB creams and this is in my top 3. I have the shades #13, #21 and #23. I am an NC15-20 with yellow undertones for reference.

#23 is a dark beige with slight pink tones and just looks too dark and grey on me. #13 is a very light beige, will probably only match NC10-15. It's rather neutral, perhaps with a slight mix of pink and yellow tones. #21 is the best match for me, a light-medium beige. It's not a perfect match because of the slight grey tone, but it still works well. Despite what reviews may say, it does not have yellow tones to it. It is neutral-slightly pink toned.

This BB cream evens out my skintone and gives pretty good coverage, medium I'd say. Completely gets rid of any redness I have and gives some coverage to small blemishes. It's a very matte BB cream on my skin (normal-combo) but somehow manages to not make my face look completely flat and dull. The oil control is really good - this BB cream alone stops any oil from appearing on my t zone for at least 6 hours. The texture is rather thick but if you moisturiser beforehand, it blends and spreads easily. It looks very natural despite the good coverage. But if you put too much on it WILL look cakey and heavy.

Lasting power is amazing...I work at a nightclub from 7PM until 7AM the next morning. This BB cream lasts my ENTIRE shift, even if I do not set with powder. I work the cashier, cloakroom and guestlist, so I'm always busy and on my feet, which gets me quite hot and sweaty...but this BB cream stays intact and does not fade, which is great as I am not allowed breaks so cannot be touching up my makeup every couple of hours. Make sure you wash it off really well as it wears like concrete. Estee Lauder Double Wear has NOTHING on this BB cream!!!

It is fragranced but I do like the smell a lot. It's not a typical perfume smell like most cosmetics have. It smells like a botanical mix of plants and baby powder. The ingredients list is nothing special, but it contains skin lightening ingredients which I love and has an SPF of 42.

It's very affordable, doesn't break me out, lasts all day, good oil control. Just wish it was slightly less grey toned!

Background on me: Asian, NC30 skintone, normal/not sensitive skin with acne scarring.

I love me some BB creams, and this one is at the top of the list. It boasts some extraordinary claims (covers! protects! lightens! does your laundry! does your taxes!) and if you're looking at the BB cream on its claims, it will NOT live up to what it says it will do for your skin. But that goes for ANY product out there - there is no end-all be all, all-in-one, multi-purpose moisturizer/primer/foundation/concealer/skincare product that will work for everybody.

THAT BEING SAID - I love this as a step above tinted moisturizer and a step below foundation. I am a student, I don't need full-coverage foundation every day or a flawless look everyday. But I have redness around my jawline that I want covered.

TEXTURE/FEEL: The BB cream itself is thick and gray when you first pump it out. You need to BLEND this and not apply a super thick layer over your face otherwise it will not oxidize. For me, this does change in color to fit my skin tone quite well, and I find that it seems to brighten my overall complexion and even out my skintone.

COVERAGE: Coverage-wise, this is one of the heavier BB creams. It covers a lot, and I only need a teeny bit of concealer for a few deep acne marks (I don't have a problem with undereye darkness) If you want more coverage, I think you could use a powder foundation over this to set/cover more and that would be perfect.

LONGEVITY: I find that this lasts fine when set with powder. If just used by itself, it doesn't really last too long/slides off easily/transfers on everything and anything.

PACKAGING: I love the pump, I have no problem with getting too much/too little. You may have to fiddle around to find out what is the perfect amount of pressure to add.

CONSIDER IF:
- You are lighter skinned (I don't know how dark the deepest shade is. I use No. 23)
- You don't need a heavy duty foundation but want some coverage
- You are normal to dry skinned

SKIP IF:
- You are oily
- You are expecting this product to stick the landing on a broken ankle and thus bring the gold medal and glory to the US

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

So far I really like this. I got this on Ebay for about $15 in the color 13, Bright Beige. For reference, I am so pale that I recently got mistaken for a Cullen. I meant, we no longer need bedside lamps because I glow in the dark. I MEANT NW15 or thereabouts. I have started to realize in the last year that many of the foundations I *thought* matched actually oxidize after a bit, thus becoming too dark. I have a mirror in my new house that's like an anti-magic-mirror. It shows EVERY flaw, etc. And so I've become kind of obsessed with finding something that *really* matches --- not just when I put it on but 30 minutes or 3 hours later, too.

This is actually a little bit lighter than my skin. It blends great though and doesn't oxidize. It also photographs GREAT, even with flash. We travel a lot and take a lot of photos and because I'm SO pale even things without sunscreen or whatnot tend to give that ghostly effect whenever flash is used. Nightmare! End up having to throw out almost all my pictures with flash because of this. This doesn't do that. When I saw how high the SPF was AND realized that it's even a bit paler than me I was like "Ruh Roh". Because I think in my head like Scooby Doo, you know, as you do. But this photographs beautifully.

I like how this looks, too. It's not too yellow, for one thing. And I just like the finish it gives. A minor-ish quibble is that I don't feel it controls oil quite as well as what I was using before but it's not like I get oily from it, just a tiny bit shinier than I did with my previous foundation. (Note: I have myself listed as oily, and that IS true. But I've actually been taking a really high dose of pantothenic acid and my skin is WAY less oily than it used to be in consequence). I will say, it is STRONGLY fragranced. The fragrance does disappear quickly, but it is the most strongly fragranced foundation I have *ever* tried. Like times 10. If the fragrance or anything else starts breaking me out, I will revise. Because it seems like everything I find anything I like THIS much (I'm looking at you Undercover Secret Agent!!!) it ends up breaking me out. continued >>

on 1/18/2010 7:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

UPDATE 4/6/2010: I'm going to have to change my rating from 5 to 3 lippies.
For my daughter, this BB cream is definitely a 5 lippies product, because it really makes her skin clear up whenever it becomes irritated. From one day to the next she can go from having a few pimples to soft, smooth and even skin, I'm not kidding! It also seems to heal any marks very fast. She refuses to use anything else, and this BB cream has actually improved her skin so much that she doesn't have to wear it very often!
For me however, this BB cream is sadly a MINUS 5 lippies. I used it for three weeks and it resulted in the worst breakout of cystic acne I've ever experienced. My skin became red, dry, flaky and with seventeen (17) huge cysts on my cheeks, my jawline, around my nose... It was horrible, horrible, horrible. There must be something in this cream that my skin is sensitive to, because I took great care in washing it off at night.
The same thing happened to me last summer when I tried it for the first time. After a week or so I started breaking out, but at that point I blamed the Dr. Hauschka skincare regimen that I had started just the week before. I quit Dr. Hauschka AND the BB cream, went back to my regular skincare products (Weleda) and my mineral foundations (BE, Alima and EDM) and my skin cleared up. Well, this time I know for certain that it was the BB cream that caused my breakout, because I didn't use Dr. Hauschka's skincare this time. In fact, ironically, it's been Dr. H's Rose Cream that has helped my skin heal from this massive breakout! Now a month later my skin is smooth again, no cysts, and the marks are practically gone, something I wouldn't have thought possible a month ago when I looked in the mirror. The Rose Cream has been a miracle for healing my skin.
I suppose this BB cream suits young, acne-prone skin better than mine, which is dry, sensitive and fragile with broken capillaries. Still, I give it 3 lippies because it works incredibly well for my daughter.

on 12/13/2016 11:32:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I love this stuff! Especially for winter. It lives in my gym bag and I put it on after swimming, for my trek home on the subway. It evens out the skin, and (I like to think) comforts it a bit after an hour in chlorinated water.

I use this, La Prairie cream blush, and Josie Maran stick illuminator, and I look like I've been to the gym (or having sex) (possibly having sex at the gym). Very glowy and happy..

By the time I want to take it off -- there is nothing there. I dunno where it went to, but there is no color on my micellar water soaked cotton. Magic.

I don't know if this will remain a favorite when the warm weather strikes. But for now, it feels very good on and for my skin.

Highly recommend. The only BB cream I really can see the point of.