LORAC Starry Eyed Baked Trio - Starlet

4.8

I was super-excited to try this eye shadow as I've been looking for a nice set of purple eye shadows. This trio looks oh-so-dazzling in the pot, but I have to say that I was underwhelmed. I have tried applying the eye shadows in different ways and I keep coming to the same conclusion: there's something "off" about this set. It's hard to describe, but I felt like the medium and dark shadows were a little dull. I expected the shadows to make my eyes pop, but instead the eye shadows looked a little too dark/opaque and made for a slightly dirty and gloomy look due to purple shades and their undertones.

To be clear, this isn't a terrible set - just an average one. In fact, I'd like to keep it around and experiment with it from time to time (who hasn't bought something, only to re-discover it at a later date?). However, at $24 I think it's best returned to Sephora as I'm looking for something that has a small "wow" factor and is wearable for day and night. This set does have it's good points: I liked the darkest shade as an eyeliner and think it would work well with other eye shadow sets (I'd like to purchase it as a single shadow for this purpose); also, I love the idea of eye shadow trios since they take the guess work out of color coordinating (when done well).

Hate to be the party pooper here, but I was disappointed when the dreaded dark line showed up on my eyelids. The shades were great with my dark hair, hazel eyes and really pale warm-toned skin - pinky silver with two coordinated purples, but it just didn't hold up for me. Even on a cold day, by noon I had almost black lines in my creases, primer or not. Embarassing and high-maintenence when I have a busy day. Hopefully I can make these great shades work.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have had this Lorac shadow palette for quite a while and just started using it recently. The colors are quite lovely. The shadow blends beautifully. The shadows really accentuate brown eyes. I would definately recommend, esspecially if you are new to purple makeup.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

WOW!!! I thought I loved Evening Star (see my review)- Starlet may be even more beautiful (if that is possible!). I'm just mad at myself I waited so long to get this product. I apply Starlet the exact way I use Evening Star. I put the lightest color from lid to eyebrows, then dip a thin brush (Laura Mercier smudge brush) in the darkest shadow (a beautiful plummy charcoal color that really brings the green out in my eyes) and line the upper lid extending a little bit out. For night, I add the medium shade to the crease. I think I may also try using the medium shade using an eyeshadow applicator all over the lid (not just lining it) and then using the lighest shade as a highlighter by the brow bone for an easy smoky eye. I will update when I try that makeup technique with this product. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this eyeshadow and you will too!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't think they sell this brand in my country (Norway), and when my mother brought it to me from vegas I was all... "Meh, where's the M.A.C products you bought?" But after a couple of days I picked it up and swatched it on the back of my hand and was pleasantly surprised. The baked formula is very smooth and pigmented, and even if it's shimmery it's not chunky and gross like other shimmer eye shadows tend to be. It can be a bit fallout if you pick up too much on the brush, but if you tap if off and put it on nice and carefully you should be alright.

And the colors are amazing - the perfect smokey eye trio. The black is just the right amount of shimmery with a subtle brown/purple undertone, and the brown is just such a pretty chocolate brown with a purple highlight effect. The highlight color is my absolute favorite. It's definitely the color I have used the most, and if they sold this color separately I would buy it in an instant. It's a very shimmery light pink/champagne color that's just gorgeous for the inner corner or as a brow highlighter. It just instantly brightens up my eye, and stay put all trough the day. Since it's a baked formulation you could probably use this wet too (the black and brown as an eyeliner?), but I find it pigmented enough as it is. I have tons of eye shadow trios and palettes, but this is the one I reach for the most. The quality can even be compared to M.A.C after my experience. I don't know the price of this, but I assume it was fairly cheap compared to other brands with the same quality. If you want a standard, yet high quality eye shadow trio, then this is for you.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

AMAZING. I've been an eye shadow junkie for 25 years and own over 100 shadows, ranging from Wet 'n Wild to Dior limited editions. The blendability, pigmentation and depth of color of this brand is superior.

I am really picky about purples and shimmer is tricky on older skin. This palette handles those challenges beautifully. Not cheap, but you get a lot of the product and the quality is worth every penny.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

love love love Lorac's trio's. i own all of them and i love very single one of them. they are very blendable, buildable, and pigmented. simply gorgeous!

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Amazing eye shadow that I would recommend to anyone! There really aren't any downsides to this product at all (maybe aside from the price; it is not the most budget-friendly item out there). It is very pigmented, long lasting, good texture and no fallout. The packaging is one of my favs. It comes in a thick, solid case that has good weight to it.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

One of my favorite eyeshadow palettes. I don't know why I don't wear it more often. Last time I wore it, I received a lot of compliments. However, the compliments were from several middle-aged men. I swear I did not look like a prostitute though because I was wearing my Taekwondo dobok (martial arts uniform) and I wore the eyeshadow trio subtlety with the lighter purple color on the lids, a small amount of the dark purple in the outer corner, and the champagne color on my browbone.

Anyway, the pigmentation is great, the texture is fabulous, and its blend-ability is superb. Colors are beautiful for my light Asian skin and brown eyes. Perfect for creating a purple smokey eye. The colors work together, can work alone, and with colors from different palettes.

Price is reasonable for such high quality and 3 shadows. That's basically $8 per color, and there is A LOT of product. I feel like it would take me a very long time to go through the whole thing, even if I did use it daily.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I really don't know why Lorac doesn't get more MUA love. These shadows are truly outstanding, as are every one of the (admittedly few) products I have tried.

I got amazing pigmentation from this trio, which yields rich, velvety color in just a stroke or two. The texture is insanely soft and smooth. I've never used shadows that blend so effortlessly. I'm not easily impressed, but this product really impressed me.

These particular colors are simply gorgeous. I'm too pale to pull off an evening eye using black and too warm to use gray, so purple is my go to color for a smoky look. And these colors are superb for that, although versatile enough to create a pretty, polished day look as well. These are pretty true plums, with no silver or gray cast to them. But they do have a deliciously smoky quality; no 1987 purple here.

I'm definitely going to be purchasing more of these little gems. They're a little high end for my pocketbook, but definitely worth the expenditure when I'm in the mood to treat myself.