Diptyque L'Eau de Neroli

No Image

2.8

on 4/8/2010 8:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I think that this could easily be a man's aftershave. Its is very citrus-y and sharp at the beginning with strong lemon and neroli notes that seems to be rather linear. Still, it is one of the best Diptyque fragrances IMO, that could be easily worn on a hot day providing you with freshness and energy.But not very original and not full-bottle worthy for me.

on 12/3/2009 12:29:00 PM

Topnote: huge burst of Lemon Pledge, fades quickly. Heart: feminine sweet floral, bergamot. Drydown: sweet powdery white floral. No lasting power. Disappears after 30 minutes.

It's OK-ish, but not interesting or lasting enough to justify the price.

Diptyque's L'Eau de Neroli is a watery little fragrance that smells predominantly of sweet orange blossom with hints of soapy musk which ensures, I suppose, that it remains completely inoffensive to anyone. I guess I was expecting a little more earthiness and complexity, akin to Decleor's Neroli face oil which is swoonworthy. Anyways, L'Eau de Neroli was a letdown. Even though I liberally applied it, its sillage lasted on my skin about 30 minutes and overall, it seemed insipid and a little boring.

From what I've been able to glean on the internet, here are L'Eau de Neroli's notes: bergamot, tarragon, neroli, geranium and beeswax.

When I first tried L'Eau de Neroli, I was surprised at how citrusy it is -- quite a bit of juicy lemon and lilting bergamot. Along with a slight herbal greenness, petitgrain rounds out the initial impression of sunny southern European hillsides. It reminds me a bit of the Annick Goutal Hadriens at this point. The topnotes sparkle off rather quickly leaving the petitgrain to more quietly and seamlessly usher in tantalizing neroli and orange blossom notes. Not surpisingly, the profile seems definitely slanted toward Neroli.

There is none of the cloying weirdness that plagued L'Occitane's Neroli EDP. If anything, I wished the scent would develop a bit more. The drydown is quick, and softened by a chaste musk. Perhaps I could catch a whiff of beeswax and cedar, but that may have been sheer imagination based on my knowledge of the bass notes! This is definitely a scent one can sprtiz with abandon. By the time you dress, walk out the door and get to the Metro (I can't smell Neroli without pretending I am in Europe) you run no risk of bludgeoning your fellow passengers with your scent. It does seem higher and sweeter than a male fragrance, though perhaps on certain men's skin it would bloom differently than mine. There is very little staying power. I suppose this is the scent you chill and refresh all day as you lounge on your terrace overlooking the Adriatic?

I would prefer to have been able to purchase this scent at little higher concentration in a 50ml or even 100ml bottle, at a more reasonable price. Still, it's a charming, if uncomplicated and somewhat forgettable scent. I somehow wanted to be transported more by this fragrance, but in reality, once you tinker with orange blossom too much, it really loses it's essential character of freshness, simplicity, light and ephemeral beauty.

Popular Fragrances