Naturtint Permanent Hair Colorant

Naturtint Permanent Hair Colorant

3.6

on 6/28/2016 11:39:00 AM

This is hands down my favorite permanent hair color. I have been using it for about 5 years now. I purchase it at my local health food store when it goes on sale. I have tried drugstore brands and I find Naturtint is far superior as it does not burn my scalp. Also, after using the shampoo and conditioner included in the box (and I supplement my own deep conditioner on top also) my hair is shiny, bouncy and free of grays! I always get complements.
I alternate between three colors, 9N, 8N and 7N depending on how blonde or dark I feel I want to go. As my hair is now growing in with more grays I color it every 2-3 weeks. I leave it on for 45 minutes, administering it first to the hair by my ears, which grows in gray first.
This is my holy grail!

on 6/5/2016 3:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I tried this for the first time and I love it! I've been coloring my hair at home for about 20 years now, so I thought I'd try something organic. My hair is dark brown and lightly highlighted, and I wanted to go more a light ash brown shade, so I chose the one pictured 7N, hazelnut blonde. I have lots of greys to cover, so I left it on about 35 minutes.
As I washed it out, I realized their shampoo in the package is horrid. That is what made my hair feel ruined, not the dye itself. I used my own deep conditioner and it feels and looks shiny.
The color is exactly what is on the box! It did miss a few strands of grey, but I didn't use the whole bottle. The color is a gorgeous light ash brown indoors, with some gold flecks outside. I will continue to use this color. My hair looks very healthy!

To Read all 54 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/13/2016 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this product, for me it's been a life saver. I have been colouring my own hair for the past 2 years, (I have 2 babies and can't spend 3 hours in the salon plus I was never very impressed with my expensive salon colouring). So I spent the past 2 years trying to find the right hair dye, I must have tried about 10 different brands (L'Oreal, Wella, Surya, Daniel Fields... Drugstore, Mail order... You name it), the result was either too reddish (I'm a dark blond) or didn't cover grays or too toxic smelling.

I finally tried this and I'm really impressed here's why; No strong eye-watering smell, a gel consistency when mixed, easy to apply, covers greys well, lasts reasonably long, not too reddish undertones. It's supposed to be more natural but it still contains chemicals.

Like any permanent hair dye it dries your hair out and the colours run much darker than on the box.

So far I'm very pleased, I've finally found what I was looking for.

Used this recently to dye my greying hair and it has gone a lemony yellow i do not like the colour at all. I have used naturtint years ago and was o.k. My hair is very dry now and not a natural shade. The shampoo was too much and very soapy and took ages to rinse out also the conditioner was too heavy but left my hair dry after ages rinsing. the only thing in its favour was it coloured the grey but was not a lot of grey anyway. Will never use again and it cost me £10.

I really wanted to love this product, but didn't, so sad! As someone who always colors her own hair, and often (every 2-3 weeks), and tries to avoid chemicals as much as possible, I really wanted to use a more natural product (and why I gave it a 3 instead of 2).

Pros: I love the safer ingredients. There were no fumes, and no eye irritation. It's easy to use, and does cover my resistant grey -- I let it process for 35-40 minutes. Since others have said that the colors (especially browns) do run dark, I used a dark blonde (6N) on my medium to dark brown hair to get a color I like.

Cons: This stuff really dries out my hair, as other reviewers have said, and my hair tends to be dry. After rinsing it out the first time (I did use the shampoo they provided), I was a bit scared because my hair really felt like straw. Luckily my hair was turned back into, well hair, after using the deep conditioner (Nutrideep Multiplier) provided in the package. By the way, that stuff is great, and I will order it since they sell it separately. The color does take a while to rinse out, but not that much longer than other color I have used, and I do slather it on the cover greys. After coloring my scalp burned a bit for a day or two. And, the biggest problem of all my hair was dry and a bit frizzy. I have used the color a few times, and found the problem only getting worse. If I deep condition a lot my hair feels better. The color does fade more than Ion, but since I color so often that wasn't a big problem for me.

Also, this product is more expensive than the Sally Beauty Ion color I was using. The best price I've found was through Super Supplements for over $11 a package, and have seen it for over $14. I have a lot of thick hair, and really need 2-3 packages to have enough to cover. They don't really give you that much product. I was pouring the product into larger plastic color bottles and mixing in those and applying for easy application. The bottles they give you are small, and don't have a very long spout, so using it directly out of those is probably harder to do. This color is only available in liquid, and I prefer cream because I find it easier to apply and doesn't really drip.

Hopefully, they will improve this line or there will be other natural dyes that cover grey and don't damage hair. Until then, I'm going to go back to using Sally Beauty Ion Creme Color. Even though their line has more chemicals does give off fumes when using, it leaves my hair smooth, shiny, and soft.

on 6/13/2015 12:01:00 AM

Horrible! This is hands down, the worst hair color I've ever used...and that's saying a lot. I decided to go "natural" and try to avoid all the harmful ingredients in most boxed colors. I'd heard this was gentle on hair, so I got Dark Blonde. What a disaster. First, this product left my hair feeling like shredded wheat...it was in good condition before the color. It was so damaged after coloring, I could hardly work the included conditioner through it. I followed the directions in the box to the letter. Secondly...the dark blonde turned my graying roots (i have light/medium brown hair) RED. I'm a pro at home haircolor....and I've never had a product mess my hair up as bad as this. I guess it goes to show natural ingredients can ruin your hair, too. Stay away from this stuff. Go with regular boxed color, or go to the salon.

on 3/28/2015 3:45:00 PM

I decided to purchase this product as it was advertised as natural . I have fine hair . I chose the wheat blonde . The smell was nauseating and it totally destroyed my hair ! My hair is dried out all over my head . I have never used a hair color that has damaged my hair to this extent .

on 10/9/2014 9:21:00 AM

I have a mousy brown color of hair. I wanted to add some highlights without paying salon prices. I bought a box of Clairol "caramel" colored high lights. It gave me uneven and blotchy pink, orange and yellow streaks. I was mortified. I had a box of Ash Blonde Nutritint that I had bought. I googled adding color to bleached hair and was further mortified by the process of adding color back to bleached hair. I decided to just give it a go and used the Nutritint Ash Blonde and left it on for 40 minutes. As it sat on my hair it turned violet, I thought worst case scenario it turns my hair grey (better than pink and orange!). It worked!! My hair was also feeling kind of slimy (damage from the bleach) and now it feels like hair again. I do think it is going to wash out and I will have to add another box - but that is fine, at least I don't have to go to the salon, embarassed and spend $120 on a color corrective process (that will further damage my hair).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the conditioner in the pack. I see they sell it separately and plan to buy some.

My hair was lovely before I decided to use this tint. It said to go 2 colours more than the one desired. After 20 minutes with the tint in my hair I decided to remove it! As it was going orange! When i took it off, my hair was dry and orange, what a mistake! And I honestly don't believe that its "natural". Or made with natural ingredients.

on 3/8/2014 9:47:00 PM

I used this brand in Honey Blonde shade. What a mistake!! Ive tried many different brands of hair color over the years and never had such a problem as i did with this brand. It made my hair like straw, it was so bad even a deep conditioner from my hair stylist didn't help. I followed the instructions on the box, so i have no idea what happened or why some people have this problem and others say it leaves their hair nice and soft. My hair was in good condition before i used this. I loved this color, so it was sad that i had such damage, because what i ended up doing was buying a different brand of hair color and just re dying my hair. That helped get my hair in better shape. Imagine that, dying my hair a second time made it better then then this dye left it! I definitely do not recommend this dye, try tints of nature or herbatint for a natural dye.