Coastal Scents Brushes

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Complete rave for these brushes. I have a couple of MAC brushes and these compare and stand up well to those. These are amazing brushes at a completely affordable price. They come packaged nicely in colorful tissue and with a free sample. Brushes are soft, don't have many loose hairs, and perform well.

LOVE THESE!

EDIT 6/07/08

II've been using coastalscents brushes for about 3 months I think, and here are my thoughts on the brushes I have:

PINK KABUKI: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=999&ParentCat=37

Great price for an amazing little brush. I use it to apply MSF, my Studio Fix Powder Foundation, and buff out make-up. I've also used it to apply foundation. This brush shed a little when I first got it, and sometimes leaves a stray hair or two. The bristles also came loose from the ferrule... I guess it wasn't glued in right, you just have to pop it back in - its ok. I did contact their customer service twice about this problem & they never got back to me.

ANGLE BLUSH BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=894&ParentCat=37
Just recently got this one, I really like it because I find regular sized blush brushes to be a wee bit big for my face. This is a smaller size too - with out a long handle, so it is nice to get up close to the mirror. I like it!

BLENDING BRUSH:http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=965&ParentCat=37
This brush is ok for blending, for the price it is great. I've also used this just to put a wash of color over my lid. This isn't a must have for me. But for the price - why not?

CHISEL FLUFF LARGE E/S BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=965&ParentCat=37
Same as the above - ok brush, not the greatest but not the worst either. Good starter brush.

DELUXE BUFFER BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=793&ParentCat=37
I was really hoping for a great brush with this one, esp. from some of the reviews on their site... but this brush sheds like a dog in the middle of summer in the desert! No kidding. I have washed it several times and it just wont stop. I'm sad :( I really wanted it to be a good brush. NOT RECOMMENDED

FLAWLESS FACE CHISEL BLUSH BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=860&ParentCat=37
Same as the angle blush brush, this is a great small brush that works great for applying blush right into the apples of my cheeks. I like this a lot!

ITALIAN BADGER CHISLE FLUFF BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore ... rentCat=37[/img]
I've found this brush great for blending, and much better than the so called blending brush that I mentioned above. Very soft! This one is definitely RECOMMENDED!

ITALIAN BADGER ROUND CREASE BRUSH: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1431&ParentCat=37
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this brush... so soft!! It works great in the crease, and I use it in the outer V too. RECOMMENDED!

RETRACTABLE DELUXE BLACK KABUKI: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1429&ParentCat=37
Good brush for the purse. Not as great as the pink one, but a good price for this kind of brush.

PINK DUO FIBER POWDER STIPPLER: http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1442&ParentCat=37
LOVE, LOVE. LOVE this brush! It's so soft -- and versatile! I use it for both powder and cream blush, for stippling with fix+, and for applying foundation. Can't say enough -- just get it! RECOMMENDED!

The other brush I have that I no longer see on their site is the huge big fluffy paddle brush, the one that is comparable to MAC 150. I LOVE this brush also - it is so soft, and so beautiful to softly apply powders and MSF. LOVE IT! If you see it back on their site, grab it when you can! RECOMMENDED!

Overall I ADORE Coastal Scents brushes. They are by far my favorite brushes for the price and quality. (I've tried some MAC, sigma, crown, ecotools, ELF, sonia kashuk brushes) My favorite are the Classic Blender Synthetic, Classic Shadow Small Synthetic (I use it as a lip brush) and Destiny Kabuki on a stick. (reminds me of that Comedian) (Jalapeno on a stick ROFL)

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Coastal Scents brushes are by far the best I've ever used, next comes ELF. I have had the priviledge of using MAC brushes for a short while during a MAC workshop, and while I must admit that these brushes are pretty darn good, for a regular person (non MUA) I think I have no business paying that amount of money for makeup brushes. Some people complain of shedding, I have had my CS brushes for close to two years and the only one that sheds is the Classic Buffer Small Natural -$4.95. I use a cheapy hair conditioner on all my brushes after washing and this resolves the shedding issue!!! Definitely worth trying out.

I seriously ADORE CS brushes! I own a ton of them. Right now, my favorite is the Synthetic Crease Blender brush. It's so dense, and blends like a dream! It's not too big, which is perfect because I don't have very big eyes. :) I also love how the regular CS line is a black handle and silver funnel. I'm a simple color kind of woman! I've had a couple that I bought a year ago, and they haven't changed one bit. No dye from the brushes bleeding color while washing or anything, and they also keep their shape! I recommend buying CS brushes 100% to anyone!

I love Coastal Scents.
I love their palettes, gel liners, lipglosses, but most of all their brushes.
They are SO high quality, and for the price, you can't beat it!

Yes, some brushes have issues with shedding. My duo fibre stippling brush I have from them does shed, but it's nothing major. Just a few hairs here and there. But even the High End brands have brushes that shed pretty badly. *cough* MAC 109 *cough*

Overall, I am extremely pleased with these brushes.
Unless you're a label whore, you do not need name brand brushes when you can get ones that are of the same quality, for so cheap!

Will continue to purchace, I have a feeling all my brushes I own will be from them! :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I haven't had my brush set from them for very long but so far I've had no shedding(I use on a daily basis) and they pick up and put on the right amount of makeup for me

This is for the IB103 Flat Bronzer. Use this to apply mineral makeup foundation and veil. I have two of them, so when i skip out on washing one, i grab the other. Very little shedding. The flat top can pick up alot of product at once and buffs wonderfully into my skin. Cuts the application time in half due to only having to dip it once!! :) This brush allows for heavy coverage faster that trying to build it using a dome kabuki. I'm going to buy more in case they get discontinued, i don't know what i would do without it. :) This is my absloute favorite brush, my friends use this too with their bare escentials stuff. :) :) :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Overall, I've been very pleased with CS brushes. Their line of synthetic face brushes are some of the best brushes I've ever owned. They're insanely soft, far softer than any of my other brushes, higher end or not. They're strudy and good quality, too. They've stood up to many washings, and have never shed, though they do take a while to dry. If you're going to try any of the CS brushes, I definitely recommend the synthetic line, you will not be disappointed.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

All the gang in MUA who knows me,(as well as anyone can know another from a website ;-) know I love anything that is fine and really fine too. It does not have to be expensive for me to consider it really fine either. The Coastal Scents brushes are really fine to me. They are not expensive and I love that. Sure they do not have the Guerlain, Mac, Chanel, Dior, etc. names attached to them but they are all mighty fine for the most part. As with everything in life that is man made, once in a while, a bad one turns up. That is to be expected, but do not judge the whole lot by one bad brush! I have at least 7 Coastal Scent brushes and I love them all. Guess I got lucky? Not! These brushes are great. I have the badger hair and the synthetic too. They wash up so soft and supple. I have had very little, if any loss of hair from any of my brushes. Perhaps it is all in the way the brushes are cleaned? I use a very mild body wash to clean my brushes. I never beat them up in the wash, but gently swirl them until they are clean. I rinse them with warm water and rinse until the water is clear. I let them dry on a towel, sometimes turning them upside down if they are too wet. When dry, they are soft as brand new. If you want them softer, you can rinse them with a bit of hair conditioner on the final rinse. This works great on the natural hair brushes. They are made of hair after all, and conditioner softens hair. ;-) The brushes always have a smell when you first get them, as does any makeup brush I have ever had. The smell goes away with a good cleaning. So as far I am concerned, these are some of the best brushes out there to be had at any price. These just happen to be affordable and from what I can tell from the forum site at Coastal Scents, they are all hand picked by Steve. If he thinks they are junk, he does not offer them. I like that a lot. To each there own though. I rather spend less on the same quality brushes, than to see all the high end names sticking out of my brush vase. ;-) Gives me more money to spend on more of my really favorite items.
Try these brushes for yourself. I think some of the reviews here are just too negative and perhaps the users just picked out the wrong brushes for their needs. Either that, or some people are just too finicky, and only go for the name. The price and quality justify the purchase, and if you have some high end name brushes, compare the differences. You will be amazed!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Wow, am I the only one who thinks these brushes are crap?
I was one of the many that was sucked in to buying some brushes from Coastal Scents after watching some of my favorite youtube makeup gurus rave about these. I ordered a pink kabuki, a pink powder brush, a pink angled blush brush, a pink angled eyeliner brush, a pink flat top buffer brush, and a foundation brush. The truth is, most of them were garbage.

The foundation brush was super huge and soaked up 80% of the foundation I tried to apply with it. It was very hard to get all the foundation out of it when I was washing it the next day. It didn't even apply the foundation well - it went on looking streaky, too thin, and uneven.
The powder brush is NOT SOFT at all. It does an okay job of brushing on some powder to set your foundation, but other than that it is worthless. It sheds a little, but I don't like to use it because it is so prickly.
The buffer brush was the best of the bunch - at first. It was soft and smooth and did a good job of applying bronzer and whatnot. (Even though it arrived with a GOD-AWFUL smell that I was never to get out) BUT, after about 5 washes, the top part came right off. Now this brush is in 2 peices.
The kabuki brush worked good at first, but after a couple of washes it became waayy too dense. It was just a little soft, but still not as soft as I'd like.
The pink angled blush brush - where do I begin? First of all, when I washed it, my hands literally became tinted gray for a day because the dye bled soo much. Every time I wash it, I wind up with a LOT of dye bleeding out. My whole sink turns gray and the suds are literally BLACK. The hairs on this brush are not as dense as I'd like, and the ends frayed a little too.
The pink angled eyeliner brush is the only good one of the bunch - it does a great job of appling my gel liner.
So overall, I definitely won't get tricked into buying any more crap from coastal scents in the future (except maybe to pick up a new eyeliner brush). I was very unsatisfied with these brushes.

Popular Makeup Brushes