Hermes 24 Faubourg

Hermes 24 Faubourg

3.8

Top Notes: Orange, Peach, Hyacinth, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Black Elder, Iris, Orange Blossom, Gardenia, Jasmine.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Vanilla.

This review is for a vintage EdP from 2000. The first thing I would like to say is that this is the single most divine fragrance I have ever smelt in my life apart from L'Heure Bleue, Chanel Coco, and one or two others. It smells so good in fact that it shares signature status with L'Heure Bleue and Coco.

I do not have a very well tutored nose, but I definitely smell the orange blossom, gardenia, and jasmine, as well as the orange top note. I believe I detect honey and a bit of sandalwood in the deep dry down. I cannot detect ANY patchouli in this fragrance. 24F is quite sweet but in the very best possible sense of the word--a very sophisticated sweetness not a candy, sugary sweetness, and I do not find it to be particularly powdery as some say it is.

This is an extremely well blended fragrance, and I can certainly understand why so many wearers simply adore it. It smells so delicious that I could bathe in it! It can indeed be described as a special fragrance to wear on special occasions, but for me, something this fabulous will be in regular rotation. It is just too wonderful for me to wait to use it just a few times per year. This would be the most fabulous wedding day fragrance as it smells so romantic.

The one thing I expected but did not find in it was the monster projection and sillage so many reviewers have mentioned. I sprayed two big sprays, one on each wrist, and whilst it projected fine and had some sillage upon first application, after about thirty minutes the projection was only about one or two feet at most, and the sillage was quite gentle. It performed much the same as current Chanels.

After three hours, 24 became a skin scent on me. It is possible that someone around me may still have smelt it quite well, but I was alone and had no one to ask. I will try to ask someone the next time after about three hours if they can smell it on me very well if they get within perhaps three feet of me. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of monster projection and sillage so many have described, but it does not change my overall opinion of this wonderful, heavenly fragrance.

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 6/10 after the first hour. 1/10 after three hours.
Sillage: 6/10 after the first hour. 1/10 after three hours.
Longevity: 5/10

on 3/15/2016 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Ugh! I am just now entering the world of scents and was looking for different perfumes for different occasions. I asked around for a fragrance that smelled elegant and sophisticated and this was recommended more than once. So much so, that I was almost about to blind buy it. Even the notes (citrus with floral) seemed to be something I would enjoy. I mean, even reading some of these would reviews would make you think this perfume is the smell of angels...

Instead of blind buying I decided to buy a sample and boy am I glad I did. This is the EPITOME of the old women smelling perfume. The EPITOME. Since I didn't know much about perfumes, many of the perfumes I've bought I have realized I have probably smelled before but didn't know it. This is one of them. I used to work retail at a store whose demographic was an older population. I know I have smelled this on them.

This actually doesn't remind me of anything elegant and sophisticated at all. It reminds of those very cheap perfumes people spray that are so harsh it makes you suffocate. To put it bluntly, this stuff smells horrible.

To Read all 148 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/11/2016 9:18:00 PM

I discovered the EDP a few months ago while at Sephora. It opened quite loud and bitter; I didn't like it at all! All I could smell was loud bitter orange. The salesman insisted that I not worry. After a few seconds it started to settle into something softer and totally different. After a few minutes it was a different perfume. Soft but strong at the same time. ***It is a very creamy floral and vanilla on me, with a touch of sweet orange blossom. Very soft but strong. ***This was the perfume I had been looking for. I own the parfum as well and it is a bit smoother and less sweet. I would be fine with just the EDP. This perfume is creamy, sweet, and lovely and must be worn on the skin; otherwise, it will just smell like sharp bitter orange blossoms.

on 2/4/2016 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I first smelled Hermes 24 Faubourg in 1998 in Freeport, Bahamas at a lovely boutique. My girlfriend purchased it but I purchased Blue Boy Picasso fragrance instead. I purchase my bottle of Hermes in 2007 for spring, summer and early fall day and/or night time. Now, I really appreciate the lovely medium soft scented tones that last all day. One thing I have learned that American women do not wear European fragrance that much and I stand alone when I am wearing this fragrance. I always tell the person that this fragrance is over 20 years old and still turning heads and receiving compliments.

on 5/26/2015 10:15:00 AM

Maurice Roucel at his poetic best. A voluptuous symphony of jasmine, orange blossom and woods. This is not a shy beauty but it is not at all vulgar. You need self assurance to wear this and a sophistication which does not depend on age but on intelligence. Absolutely lovely and classy just like Princess Diana who apparently loved it.

on 10/27/2014 4:01:00 AM

dreadful putrid headache inducing nausea in a beautiful bottle. I guess I just do not have a so called sophisticated nose for fragrance because how anyone could even claim to care for this is beyond reproach. It smells like pure chemical.

on 3/5/2014 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

I've been trying very many interesting and delightful fragrances lately. I'm so very grateful I received 24 Faubourg in a tester form before buying, especially as I was seduced by its many positive and glowing reiews. I smell no flowers in my Hermes packaged tester. Instead, I get simply oakmoss, sandlewood, and cinammon, imbued in a deep chemically base.

It is simply dreadful and after an hour of wear, I am ready to wash it off. I think that women are seduced into buying this fragrance because it's so expensive.

Where are those delicious florals? Where is the mystery? I had such high hopes for this based on the reviews, but this one is an awful stinker.

on 9/30/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

24 Faubourg is a very sophisticated white floral, and pleased to report not too ''old school'' like Fracas for example. Pretty buttery gardenia, jasmine, orange blossom, with a citrusy touch and soft woody base. Longlasting, voluptuous but not suffocating and very ''old money'' classy, creates an aura of superiority and good taste but doesn't feel arrogant.

Think of a certain type of woman. Over 30, lives in Palm Beach or Beverly Hills, rich by marriage, groomed and spa'd and manicured within an inch of her life, designer clothes, stiletto heels, expensive obvious jewelry. Tottering unsteadily on the precipice between luxurious sophistication and vulgarity. That's what you get with 24. It's a heady floral, lasts forever, has tons of sillage and attracts attention. It's a Perfume capital P and not a scent or fragrance. This review is for the EDP which I like. The EDP is richer, softer and more floral. Ysatis is similar. I detest the EDT formulation which is harsher and rough and probably the basis for the Tabu comparisons. The EDT put me off on this until I finally tried the EDP. Now I'm dying to test the parfum version to see if it's even better.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my favorite Hermes fragrance. It has the perfect hint of a floral, so it's good for summer and the amber makes it great for fall. It really is a versatile scent. I always get compliments when I wear this, especially since it's a lesser known fragrance. It's definitely a sensual fragrance and is the epitome of romance.

Popular Fragrances