NARS Cosmetics Galapagos single

Filtered by hair type : Other
NARS Cosmetics Galapagos single
Galapagos singleGalapagos singleNARS GalapagosNARS Galapagos SwatchNARS Galapagos

4.4

[Added by lovemakeup2 on April 21, 2013] As listed on Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set: Talc, calcium sodium borosilicate, cetearyl isononanoate, stearoxy dimethicone, cetyl acetate, acetylated lanolin alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, bha, methylparaben, propylparaben, triclosan [+/- (may contain): mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides), ci 19140 (yellow 5 lake), ci 42090 (blue 1 lake), ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), ci 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), ci 77742 (manganese violet), ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 75470 (carmine), ci 77000 (aluminum powder), ci 77400 (bronze powder), ci 77400 (copper powder)]

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've been on a brown eyeshadow collecting kick lately. Everyone complains of the glitter fallout and not translating on the lid....you're using the wrong brush. I use the MAC #239 and apply using a patting motion and not a sweeping motion. I also applied NARS eye primer prior to application. This keeps the glitter intact. When blending into my transition color I use the MAC #217 brush. This makes for a great chocolate smokey eye and I'm so glad I picked this up.

on 9/16/2013 7:30:00 PM

My favourite eyeshadow, I use Mac, Nars and Napoleon perdis are my go to for eyeshadows. This far surpasses mac in terms of pigmentation, size (you get more for your money) and overall quality.

Beautiful dark brown with gold glitter. Colour shows up truly amazing on my eyes.

I use mac mulch all over lid then galapagos in outer v and under eye - absolutely perfect.

For reference I am NC25, brown eyes, dark hair.

I live in Christchurch in New Zealand so Nars isnt that easily accessible.

Galapagos was included in Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set (purchased in April 2013). According the ingredients list, NARS has started using triclosan in its shadows. Given the other options available, it's not clear why this would be necessary. I will not be repurchasing.

Ingredients as listed on Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set:
Galapagos: Talc, calcium sodium borosilicate, cetearyl isononanoate, stearoxy dimethicone, cetyl acetate, acetylated lanolin alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, bha, methylparaben, propylparaben, triclosan [+/- (may contain): mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides), ci 19140 (yellow 5 lake), ci 42090 (blue 1 lake), ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), ci 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), ci 77742 (manganese violet), ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 75470 (carmine), ci 77000 (aluminum powder), ci 77400 (bronze powder), ci 77400 (copper powder)]

This is my very first NARS eye shadow and I'm happy I chose it. Beautiful shadow with just enough shimmer. I am Polynesian with medium skin tone. This looks gorgeous on the crease and I pair it with MACs Satin Taupe on the lid. I get so many compliments when I wear this. Very easy color to wear.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this brown. It is a staple item. Like all nars products the sophistication and pigmentation is there an amazing. I love using this for bridal looks. It is a warm brown with gold flecks in it. Simply stunning. If you are on the fence about this think no more and just go get it!

This is the ultimate smoky deep brown eyeshadow for blue-eyed girls! I now feel like my warm-toned eye makeup looks are incomplete without NARS Galapagos. I use this color on the days I'm wearing peachy, bronze, and golden eyeshadow colors to wet line over my eyeliner (GOSH Velvet Touch in True Brown, another amazing product). This rich brown has warm undertones, so it clashes with cool purples and taupes.

I pair it most often with Chanel Island and Chanel Venus (Stila Kitten type colors, minus all the frost), using Mac Dazzlelight to highlight. Galapagos looks great with pretty much any combo of warm colors you can think of, though. Most of the time I just wet line with it (takes only a couple dabs with a wet Laura Mercier smudge brush), but I do smoke out the outer V occasionally. For super dramatic smoky eyes, I smoke out the lashline with Galapagos, using a dabbing motion on top of a sticky primer like Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. This way of applying it keeps the gold/multicolored microglitter on my lid. Otherwise, I can't really see the glitter after blending Galapagos on my eye lid.

Since I am super fair and cool-toned, I'm surprised at how well Galapagos fits into my daily makeup arsenal. It brings out my murky blue eyes so beautifully with a couple of quick swipes. PPPs with light eyes, you *need* Galapagos in your life!

UPDATE: I have discovered after wearing this as an eyeliner for a month or so that it was irritating my eyes. I was wondering why I've had more trouble with my contacts lately. The micro glitter is the culprit! Taking off one lippie because you can't use it as a liner without the sparkles getting in your eyes.

An exact DUPE of Galapagos, sans glitter, is called Smashbox "Walnut." It's the same shade of warm, dark brown that lights up my blue eyes. Smashbox Walnut is even more blendable and just as richly pigmented. I got it on ebay for $7 - a fraction of the cost of Galapagos. Love it. If you're looking for another NARS shade, Bengali is close. Hope that helps!

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Ummm, just okay. I drove 25 miles each direction to my closest Sephora store in the snow to purchase this.
Anywho, for me this is just plain ole' brown; the gold sparkles immediately disappear which leaves me with a 'poopy' brownish green color. For the price and drive I wanted the gold sparkle's to sparkle. I did pair it with MAC's Gold Reflect's Glitter for a stunning brown sparkle look which made my husband do a "double-take" and give me a compliment. I hardly ever use this e/s but I do sometimes look at it and wish it looked like this on my lid.

on 5/4/2010 3:51:00 AM

I use this eyashadow once in a while, especially on special occasions, like when I go out. But today I wore it at a day time and I was absolutely amazed by the stunning color! It is so, so, so gorgeous, so special. First of all, it looks beautiful in the pan, and you get the exact fabulous color pay-off on the eyes. It is so vibrant, so unique, so finely milled, and goes on smooth. It blends like charm. I think there is hardly any dupe out there on the market, at least I've never seen something close to this color. I like the warm rich brown color with golden shimmer to it. It is highly pigmented and stays all day long without creasing, fading and caking. Now I understand why I paid so much money on this shadow, it was absolutely worth it. I am amazed how this eyeshadow makes my eyes look so vibrant, so beautiful.

on 12/17/2009 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

The price of this shadow is pretty steep but ....I have to ask myself..."is it really worth it?" and I answer: "YES IT IS!!!" I love Galapagos....it is absolutely gorgeous. The glitters are intense (although they sure do look it in the pan) but it's great upon application (I use it in my crease)...I like using it for my every day look for work (yes...for work...) the effect is subtle ...soft...appropriate (NC42).

on 1/7/2009 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I wish I could give an accurate idea of the number of brown shades of shadows I own, it is unbelievable. I frickin love brown e/s, and I buy buy buy them all the time. However, THIS amazing brown is the one I use almost every day. Don't be afraid of the gold glitter in this, it really doesn't show much at all. I know this for a fact because my boyfriend thinks this is beautiful and he's one of those charming engineer types who often says things like 'what is that glittery stuff all over your eyes?' when I wear other shadows high in the glitter sphere. Trust me, if he doesn't notice it, it's not over the top. To sum it up, I have mixed luck with Nars, though I wish all their stuff worked for me, this does and it's my all time favorite!