NARS Cosmetics Galapagos single

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
NARS Cosmetics Galapagos single
Galapagos singleGalapagos singleNARS GalapagosNARS Galapagos SwatchNARS Galapagos

4.4

[Added by lovemakeup2 on April 21, 2013] As listed on Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set: Talc, calcium sodium borosilicate, cetearyl isononanoate, stearoxy dimethicone, cetyl acetate, acetylated lanolin alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, bha, methylparaben, propylparaben, triclosan [+/- (may contain): mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides), ci 19140 (yellow 5 lake), ci 42090 (blue 1 lake), ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), ci 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), ci 77742 (manganese violet), ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 75470 (carmine), ci 77000 (aluminum powder), ci 77400 (bronze powder), ci 77400 (copper powder)]

This is quite possibly my favorite crease color ever. I love the fact that even though it has gold flecks and shimmer, it pairs beautifully with warmer and cooler toned colors alike. I have yet to find an eyeshadow combination using Galapagos that I haven't liked. Like all NARS shadows, this color is incredibly pigmented, and although it is expensive, it is completely worth it considering the quality. The packaging is very sturdy... however, my only gripe is the fact that it gets so dirty! I always have to wipe down the outside of all my NARS products because they seem to collect every speck of dirt and makeup dust imaginable (but maybe that's just me being OCD... it's definitely not a dealbreaker)! I first heard about this eyeshadow through watching Michele1218 on youtube... she always has the best crease colors and in almost every video I caught myself admiring her makeup, this was what she was wearing. I totally recommend this eyeshadow! It's a great color to have in your collection, and I can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed with it!

on 5/30/2012 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to love this eye shadow. It is the first NARS eye shadow that I've purchased, and based on my experience it may end up being the only. Galapagos looks beautiful in the pan, but once applied on the lid it loses much of its intensity. It is difficult for me to get the gold glitter to show up and the brown falls flat as well. I have difficulty blending this color.

I would return, but I am still trying to love it. I have been using it as an eyeliner, but even so the color payoff for me is still lacking.

on 4/12/2012 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I hate to be one of the only negative reviews. I really wanted to like this e/s. Based on the reviews here I was sure this would be an instant HG. HOWEVER that glitter is killing me. I don't care if it doesn't show up on my lid when I blend it DOES end up all over my face!! I get a ton of fallout when I put this on (unless I use it wet, which I don't like doing) and even when I wipe it off with a face wipe I still see random pieces of glitter on my face throughout the day. I hate that, especially since other people have commented that they see glitter on my face whenever I wear galapagos!! Besides the glitter, galapagos really doesn't go well with my fair cool toned skin. I think this would look much better on warmer ladies. I'm really disappointed this didn't work, but I did find NARS Fez and Mekong which I love!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This shadow is very richly pigmented... You only need a little bit to get the job done. It also blends very well. I love the combination of gold and greenish sparkle that it offers. It's a very gorgeous, fun neutral.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this brown. It is a staple item. Like all nars products the sophistication and pigmentation is there an amazing. I love using this for bridal looks. It is a warm brown with gold flecks in it. Simply stunning. If you are on the fence about this think no more and just go get it!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For a basic bronze eye I wear Stila Wheat and Golightly eye shadows, but when I want to take it up a notch for nighttime and make a sexy smoky eye, I break out Galapagos and apply in the crease/outer corner. It's a beautiful dark shimmery brown with gold glitter that's flattering on my light brown eyes, but I think it would be especially gorgeous on green or blue eyes. If you use it wet there's much less glitter fallout, although still a tiny bit. With glittery shadows it's always a good idea to apply them first (before the rest of your makeup) so you can clean up any stray particles that may have landed on your face. I think Monsieur Nars has really up his eye shadow game in terms of color payoff and texture - Galapagos is buttery soft and highly pigmented, which sadly was not the case with some other NARS shadows I've tried. Definitely a must-have if you want to create a smoldering bronzey eye!

This is the ultimate smoky deep brown eyeshadow for blue-eyed girls! I now feel like my warm-toned eye makeup looks are incomplete without NARS Galapagos. I use this color on the days I'm wearing peachy, bronze, and golden eyeshadow colors to wet line over my eyeliner (GOSH Velvet Touch in True Brown, another amazing product). This rich brown has warm undertones, so it clashes with cool purples and taupes.

I pair it most often with Chanel Island and Chanel Venus (Stila Kitten type colors, minus all the frost), using Mac Dazzlelight to highlight. Galapagos looks great with pretty much any combo of warm colors you can think of, though. Most of the time I just wet line with it (takes only a couple dabs with a wet Laura Mercier smudge brush), but I do smoke out the outer V occasionally. For super dramatic smoky eyes, I smoke out the lashline with Galapagos, using a dabbing motion on top of a sticky primer like Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. This way of applying it keeps the gold/multicolored microglitter on my lid. Otherwise, I can't really see the glitter after blending Galapagos on my eye lid.

Since I am super fair and cool-toned, I'm surprised at how well Galapagos fits into my daily makeup arsenal. It brings out my murky blue eyes so beautifully with a couple of quick swipes. PPPs with light eyes, you *need* Galapagos in your life!

UPDATE: I have discovered after wearing this as an eyeliner for a month or so that it was irritating my eyes. I was wondering why I've had more trouble with my contacts lately. The micro glitter is the culprit! Taking off one lippie because you can't use it as a liner without the sparkles getting in your eyes.

An exact DUPE of Galapagos, sans glitter, is called Smashbox "Walnut." It's the same shade of warm, dark brown that lights up my blue eyes. Smashbox Walnut is even more blendable and just as richly pigmented. I got it on ebay for $7 - a fraction of the cost of Galapagos. Love it. If you're looking for another NARS shade, Bengali is close. Hope that helps!

on 9/8/2010 7:01:00 PM

I purchased this at Sephora at JCpenny!! I love the color!! rich dark brown with specks of gold!! makes your brown eyes pop!! very creamy and soft and blendable! works well for day and night looks!

on 5/4/2010 3:51:00 AM

I use this eyashadow once in a while, especially on special occasions, like when I go out. But today I wore it at a day time and I was absolutely amazed by the stunning color! It is so, so, so gorgeous, so special. First of all, it looks beautiful in the pan, and you get the exact fabulous color pay-off on the eyes. It is so vibrant, so unique, so finely milled, and goes on smooth. It blends like charm. I think there is hardly any dupe out there on the market, at least I've never seen something close to this color. I like the warm rich brown color with golden shimmer to it. It is highly pigmented and stays all day long without creasing, fading and caking. Now I understand why I paid so much money on this shadow, it was absolutely worth it. I am amazed how this eyeshadow makes my eyes look so vibrant, so beautiful.

on 1/13/2010 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

NARS has great colors. I have a major problem with the use of glimmer/glitter. I hate it.

This is a deep, dark and lovely color brown. There are golden shimmer bits thruout and they apply beautifully -- unlike some other brands these shimmer bits stay on and in the powder.

If this product did not have glimmer it would be a perfect brown.. I love it and will use it till it's gone. But, due to the glimmer, I will not repurchase.