NARS Galapagos single

NARS Galapagos single
Galapagos singleGalapagos singleNARS GalapagosNARS Galapagos SwatchNARS Galapagos

4.5

[Added by lovemakeup2 on April 21, 2013] As listed on Sephora's And God Created the Woman Set: Talc, calcium sodium borosilicate, cetearyl isononanoate, stearoxy dimethicone, cetyl acetate, acetylated lanolin alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, bha, methylparaben, propylparaben, triclosan [+/- (may contain): mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides), ci 19140 (yellow 5 lake), ci 42090 (blue 1 lake), ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), ci 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), ci 77742 (manganese violet), ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 75470 (carmine), ci 77000 (aluminum powder), ci 77400 (bronze powder), ci 77400 (copper powder)]

This is the ultimate smoky deep brown eyeshadow for blue-eyed girls! I now feel like my warm-toned eye makeup looks are incomplete without NARS Galapagos. I use this color on the days I'm wearing peachy, bronze, and golden eyeshadow colors to wet line over my eyeliner (GOSH Velvet Touch in True Brown, another amazing product). This rich brown has warm undertones, so it clashes with cool purples and taupes.

I pair it most often with Chanel Island and Chanel Venus (Stila Kitten type colors, minus all the frost), using Mac Dazzlelight to highlight. Galapagos looks great with pretty much any combo of warm colors you can think of, though. Most of the time I just wet line with it (takes only a couple dabs with a wet Laura Mercier smudge brush), but I do smoke out the outer V occasionally. For super dramatic smoky eyes, I smoke out the lashline with Galapagos, using a dabbing motion on top of a sticky primer like Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. This way of applying it keeps the gold/multicolored microglitter on my lid. Otherwise, I can't really see the glitter after blending Galapagos on my eye lid.

Since I am super fair and cool-toned, I'm surprised at how well Galapagos fits into my daily makeup arsenal. It brings out my murky blue eyes so beautifully with a couple of quick swipes. PPPs with light eyes, you *need* Galapagos in your life!

UPDATE: I have discovered after wearing this as an eyeliner for a month or so that it was irritating my eyes. I was wondering why I've had more trouble with my contacts lately. The micro glitter is the culprit! Taking off one lippie because you can't use it as a liner without the sparkles getting in your eyes.

An exact DUPE of Galapagos, sans glitter, is called Smashbox "Walnut." It's the same shade of warm, dark brown that lights up my blue eyes. Smashbox Walnut is even more blendable and just as richly pigmented. I got it on ebay for $7 - a fraction of the cost of Galapagos. Love it. If you're looking for another NARS shade, Bengali is close. Hope that helps!

on 6/9/2008 12:11:00 PM

Probably the most beautiful brown I have ever seen. Perfect deep dark brown, slightly golden undertones but still very neutral. Its the darkest brown shadow Ive ever found. I love this shadow! Its iridescent gold pearls are reflective and pretty on the eye without being "glittery". Like all shadows that have these pearls you have to be careful to not break it, as they are more fragile than other shadows by virtue of the pearls in them.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Oh Galapagos, how much to I love you?! Went to my MA at NARS naked faced and asked her to make me up. I was not dissappointed! She ended up using all kids of light blues and taupes and just a hint of Galapagos in the crease. It was beautiful. Since bringing this color home I have paired it many ways. I use creme shadow duo Summertime all over lid then apply California all over and Galapagos in the crease to make a beautiful orange/brown look. I have used it with Alhambra Duo and April Fools Duo, all very very beautiful. Its richly pigmented and if you want the gold to show all you need is a little cream shadow laid down first (which I do anyway so this doesn't bother me). I anticipated the arrival of this color, and it turned out to be all that I had wanted it to be. I makes me happy just seeing it in my traincase! I wanted to attach some swipe pictures to compare it next to Cordura and a few other NARS browns. Click Continue to see.. continued >>

on 6/3/2008 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

this is a gorgeous shade of matte (cross between milk and dark) chocolate brown with gold glitter (not unlike mac's reflects gold)... i love the color but my GOD we are talking fall out city... unless this shadow is applied wet (which you cant really do with matte shadows unfortunately), the glitter doesn't adhere to the skin... which doesn't bother me since i was looking for a rich chocolate brown matte shadow... this just has the added kick of gold glitter to it... minus 1 lippie for the fallout, but definitely a keeper... cant wait to pair it up with one of my new mac solar bits for a dramatic smoky eye(would look nice with all of them imo).. it would also look really good with a very light wash of copper sparkle pigment over it as well..

but as another reviewer mentioned, it is very easily dupeable... all you would need to do is find the right shade of matte chocolate brown and use MAC's reflects gold glitter over it... so for that reason i will not repurchase

UPDATE: after using this shadow in a look for a night out i have to say, when it comes to lasting power... not one of the best...

i did use UD primer potion all over the lid, and it didnt necessarily crease.. but it did, for lack of a better word, get kind of splotchy... at the end of the night certain areas ended up lighter than others.. the color didn't look as even as it did with the initial application, which i've never found to be a problem with other matte shadows.. so i did take off another lippie for that fact

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I took my time deciding whether to buy this eye shadow. It's intense and the sparkle in it gave me pause. I have to be careful when choosing eye shadows at this stage of my life. I will wear some shimmer or sparkle only on the eye lid up to the crease. I do love mattes, but still like to mix it up with the shimmery eye shadows.

I tried it on in the store and wore it for the rest of the day. I did notice that it lacked staying power, but it was over another eye shadow. I also wanted to see how I liked the color, if I could carry it off. I think that I tried it on at least two more times and wore it throughout the day. Finally I decided to buy it. I usually wear some kind of eye primer and this time I chose the MAC Paint Pot in Constructivist. I thought this brown color would work well with the intense dark brown of Galapagos. This helped give it great staying power. It was still looking good at night. I only used Galapagos up to the crease and then blended a bit. Then I used both MAC Soft Brown and Texture in the crease as transition colors. I thought they worked beautifully with Galapagos. I used my normal highlight color, Mac Brule.

I experimented a little the second time I wore this eye shadow. I used a flat definer brush to carefully line the Galapagos on the under eye lash line. I was very precise and kept the line as thin as possible, I then used Texture smudged out on the lower lid. This time I changed it up on the waterline, using a dark brown eye liner pencil. I have to say that I loved the look. As far as the sparkles, they were barely visible after I applied the eye shadow. It was very subtle. I should also say that I used a MAC 239 brush to apply this eye shadow. I thought it worked beautifully.

When I was browsing in Sephora that day, two of their sales assistants came over to me and asked me what I was wearing on my eyes. They were very complimentary. That's when you know that a look really works, when people who work in the business come over and say your eyes look great. I thought the dark brown brought out my green eyes. This is really best as a night look, although I did wear it a few times during the day. It's not for the faint of heart. I was nervous stepping a bit out of my comfort zone with this kind of eye shadow. But I have to say that I felt good wearing it. Even mature women can have some fun with eye makeup!

This is the first time I have purchased a NARS eye shadow. They are expensive. It's $25 for a small compact, which is pricey for 0.07 oz. or 2.2 grams of product. But I splurged this time and was not disappointed.

on 5/4/2010 3:51:00 AM

I use this eyashadow once in a while, especially on special occasions, like when I go out. But today I wore it at a day time and I was absolutely amazed by the stunning color! It is so, so, so gorgeous, so special. First of all, it looks beautiful in the pan, and you get the exact fabulous color pay-off on the eyes. It is so vibrant, so unique, so finely milled, and goes on smooth. It blends like charm. I think there is hardly any dupe out there on the market, at least I've never seen something close to this color. I like the warm rich brown color with golden shimmer to it. It is highly pigmented and stays all day long without creasing, fading and caking. Now I understand why I paid so much money on this shadow, it was absolutely worth it. I am amazed how this eyeshadow makes my eyes look so vibrant, so beautiful.

on 4/15/2008 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I though Galapagos was going to be a chocolate brown with shimmer. It is even better than I thought though and is a nice break from all the taupes I've been wearing. It's a beautiful warm antique bronzey brown with tons of gold shimmer. I think it's an interesting compliment to the sheer red lips that Nars is promoting with this release. I've been wearing this paired with Voyage eyeshadow and Misbehave lipgloss (also gorgeous, the perfect sheer shimmery red I've been waiting for). I actually think this is very pigmented and when used with UD Primer Potion, it requires more blending than I'm used to, causing a lot of the pretty shimmer to go away; if using a primer, I would advise putting a base color on first, as this sticks as soon as it touches the primer, causing uneven color payoff and making it very difficult to blend without adding more color. When used to wet line, I tap it on rather than sweeping the brush across the eye, that way, you get the shimmer effect. If I ever ran out of this, which will never happen, I would buy again. :-)

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great color, Nars describes it as a rich brown with gold flecks. The gold flecks don't really show up on my skintone, however the color is rich and applies evenly. The color lasted all day on my lids. If you own NARS' Cordura I would skip this color as well as fez because these four colors are very similar.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this! at any rate my skintone: asian mac nc25-30, Nars Eden in the pressed powder. I had originally gone in to buy a powder and I saw the MA's eyes and it was gorgeous so when i asked what it was, lo and behold it was galapagos. On her it was a gorgeous shimmering rich earthy brown with no hint of red (which is fabulous!) So had the MA put it on me. At first blush i LOVED it...but now i look at it and i don't think it suits my skin tone very well!! Its a little to plummy (she sheered it out a bit along the crease) and it kinda clashes with my skin tone i think..making me look like i got punched. i am going to have to play with it and see. I will definitely update this review! **UPDATE** Alright so I goofed around with it and when i pack it on a little more it definitely looses that plummy tone, though now i think i about it, i had purple e/s on before and she took it off, but maybe there was some residual shadow??? At any rate it is a great everyday look that can be played up for a more dramatic night look. I my tiniest gripe is that this e/s as many of NARS' single e/s needs a base to get rich intense color..otherwise it goes on uneven and sheer. But overall, great year round shade!!!!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is just the prettiest sexiest brown ever. I wear it alone all over my lids slightly smoked out with dramatic black lashes. My man loves it on me. I love NARS' packaging and will repurchase. I like to choose any makeup item I buy carefully rather then buying everything I see and want. This shadow is probably my favorite thing I've bought this year.