Chanel Sycomore

Chanel Sycomore

3.7

on 3/21/2017 5:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Starts out spicy and woody, and then dissolves into a vetiver soliflore that is rather uninteresting. The spicy start is nice, though.

This review is for the now discontinued Sycomore EdT.

Yesterday, I finally tested the Sycomore EdT sample gifted me by a kind and generous fellow fragrance lover (thank you again!), and I wanted to share my impressions which may be more helpful to the ladies than they will be to the gentlemen, but who knows? The gentlemen may also find what I have to say useful.

Upon initial application, the top notes were quite strong and projected quite well. I think they were helped in this respect by a soupcon of aldehydes. They were very green and woody; however, the woodiness was not the woodiness I expected. Instead of the woody trunks of the cypress and sandalwood trees I expected, I smelt the green foliage of the cypress and what must have been the vetiver note, but I detected no sandalwood whatsoever. I also detected a lot of smokiness and possibly pink pepper. I am not familiar enough with the pink pepper note to be sure if I smelt it or not. The top notes dried down quite quickly as one might expect. Within thirty minutes, insofar as I could tell, as there was no one around to ask, Sycomore dried down to a complete skin scent on me. Overall, I found it quite linear.

Sycomore's greenness and smokiness persisted into the deep dry down, but I was never able to perceive any floral note(s) in it whatsoever. About three hours later, I reapplied it and had the same experience as the first time. I continued to press my nose against my wrists every so often over the next four to five hours to see if I could detect anything else, but I was unable to discern anything else. Sycomore EdT persisted on my skin for a solid four to five hours but only as a skin scent. Again, I wished I had had someone nearby who could have offered me some input on the longevity and projection. In the end, I found I liked the deep, deep dry down of Sycomore best as the greenness finally began to fade away a bit.

Now, as to the question of whether or not Sycomore is a "masculine" scent or not, I would argue that it is not a masculine scent per se. However, if I had not known anything about Sycomore in advance of smelling it, and if I had closed my eyes and smelt it on someone near me, I would have guessed I was smelling it on a man. I think it would definitely be attractive on a man. Yet, it is nevertheless "unisex" as I could see a woman wearing it as well, but I cannot conceive of a venue/occasion where I personally would wear Sycomore except perhaps if I were camping in the woods and wanted to blend in with the natural ambience of my surroundings.

I spent a lot of time yesterday smelling and thinking about Sycomore EdT, and in my opinion, Sycomore has Sheldrake's signature all over it. It smells much, much more like a Lutens's fragrance than a Chanel fragrance, and I had to wonder what did Polge contribute to it? I do not detect any influence from Polge aside perhaps from the fleeting, light aldehydes in the top notes. If I smelt Sycomore at random and did not know that it came from Chanel and had to guess from which house it had come, I would have guessed Serge Lutens.

Mind you, I still consider myself to be a beginner in this hobby, but these were my impressions of Sycomore, and I can see why out of all the Les Exclusifs Sycomore is the one most beloved by men. Would I enjoy this on the men around me? Yes, I believe I would do. Would I wear Sycomore? Well, I think I might wear it once in a while if I had it in my collection, but I doubt I would reach for it very often. Many people describe it as an Autumnal fragrance, but I would not associate it with any season in particular. I think it could be worn all year. I read one review in which the reviewer said she initially smelt No. 22 and Sycomore and opted for No. 22, but years later, she tired of No. 22 and fell in love with Sycomore. For me, it would be the other way around. I cannot conceive of ever growing weary of the gorgeous No. 22, and equally, I cannot conceive of ever falling in love with Sycomore EdT. That being said, I have yet to test the new EdP which according to one commentator is vastly different from the EdT and is more "feminine." I may like the EdP much more. It remains to be seen, but I plan to test the EdP at the soonest opportunity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

A very, very natural smell. A smell of pine trees after rain in hot weather. Unexpectedly natural and beautiful.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

THIS is what I was hoping for in the Chanel Les Exclusifs line! While Gardenia was a disappointment, Sycomore is everything I look for in a fragrance: it's interesting, subtly sexy, stylish and elegant. And it lasted well on the skin.

There's a wonderful, soft smokiness to Sycomore that I immediately fell in love with. I adore smokey scents. There's a lovely, slightly gritty, earthiness to this perfume that boarders on masculine. But there's a hint of sweetness too, which stops it from feeling too masculine for me. It's the kind of perfume that makes me constantly want to bring my wrist to my nose so I can enjoy it in close quarters.

I find it to be a peaceful, quiet scent and as it fades on the skin you're left with something that smells like it's part of you. Almost like you smell good in a natural way, not like you're necessarily wearing any perfume.

A 75ml bottle is going on my wish list for consideration after I've whittled my current collection down a little more.

Foliage and tall trees and rich, gritty dirt, soft smoke and damp greenery, and all the best smells of a forest ramble--but the hiker is wearing Prada boots and an Hermes scarf. This scent of a woodland spirit turned posh socialite; a dryad who quit the forest living on the Upper East Side.

on 3/27/2014 7:39:00 AM

I bought a sample of this parfume but it did not smell anything.

on 1/23/2013 5:17:00 PM

Green androgyny.

I voted yes on repurchase, but there's a single note in this that gives me pause and knocks this down to a four: juniper.

Love the smokey wood. Love the vetiver. If you love a wallop of smoke, green, wood, and vetiver, this one's for you. The smoke is really earthy, sometimes dry, sometimes a little wet in the first five minutes, but always present under that megadose of vetiver.

But then there's that single note that just rings too loud for me, because I really don't care for juniper. And it's not a kind of clean, subtle juniper that one finds in a good gin, it's all pungent and sloppy to my nose. Dries down eventually to more of a citrus, but I am not a citrus fan, either.

I prefer Bandit over this for a wallop of bad girl, trouser wearing, cigar smoking femme chic .... however, the smokey wood in this is quite seductive, and will keep drawing me back.

on 5/10/2013 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got one of my biggest compliments ever, in public, from a total stranger, while wearing Chanel Sycomore.

Let me begin by saying I don't like or wear Green perfumes. At all. Except for Sycomore -- this is Green at its best. I don't like green foliage-y perfumes, I don't like vetiver, I don't like chypres. But Sycomore is made so well, that I do wear it once in awhile -- not often -- just occasionally, in the Fall. Therefore, I feel my 2oz bottle will last me forever and I'll never need to repurchase.

I have tried -- and still own -- bottles of Chanel #19 EDT (which I can't stand, ugh!!, this is perfume??), EL Azure original, EL Aliage, EL Private Collection. I don't like these -- I just don't do Green. Yet I keep them in my closet *just in case* my tastes change or the mood strikes.

I wore Sycomore when I took my cat to the vet in November or December of last year -- because I thought it fit the occasion. I figured people who work in veterinary offices were nature-lovers who would probably appreciate something natural and outdoorsy -- so I wore a small spritz of Sycomore.

After the appointment, when I was standing at the front desk waiting to pay, a vet tech ran out of the room I'd been in -- she'd been cleaning up -- and she said she LOVED my perfume and asked what it was. I told her Chanel Sycomore, and she said "Well, you smell just LOVELY!"

It's green & leafy & foresty & vetiver -- yet with some campfire smoke too. When you feel like hiking or camping or visiting Gatlinburg in the Great Smoky mountains -- wear Chanel Sycomore -- it just fits.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try Chanel's Les Exclusifs Sycomore for quite a while, having heard so many good things about it. I do like vetiver, and Sycomore is said to be an homage to that note. On first sniff, I'm getting a pepper note and also something I can't quite identify, but that smells very like what most perfumers believe passes for a tea note. Have you ever put your nose into a bottle of vitamin C? Yes, it smells like ascorbic acid. I don't know why perfumers think tea should smell like ascorbic acid, but that's almost always how it comes across to me. Anyway, after the pepper and tea-wannabe note fades (and it takes a while, these are some long lasting top notes), I get a very earthy vetiver. This is not a clean, crisp green, but rather chockablock full o' dirt. It is also slightly smokey. And it lasts a loooooong time. I dabbed this in the morning and it lasted all day. All in all, I am not a fan of Sycomore. I do like the earthiness of the vetiver once it dries down some, but quite frankly I really hate that ascorbic acid thing. Black tea fragrances have just never worked for me because of it, even though I love drinking tea of all kinds. I don't think that Sycomore is even supposed to have tea in it! Oh well, I saved myself $$$ and a trip to a Chanel boutique.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought Bois des Iles and got a sample of Sycomore which I didn't like that much at first... It actually grew on me and I ended up loving it. It has this strange smell of something akin to sweat, weird but great. On my wish list.

Popular Fragrances