3.7

price range

Reviews

1.0

9 years ago

I so wanted to love this; alas, it makes me smell like an ashtray. Bone dry with a smokey scent on me. I don't get any leather-y smells, just ashes. Really, on me this is total scrubber; fortunately it doesn't last too long on my dry skin. I don't have the best nose for picking out individual notes, all I can say is that this was a huge disappointment to me. The descriptions and reviews I read made it sound really sexy and intriguing, so not the case! Very glad I had purchased a sample instead of the entire bottle.

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinDry, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

10 years ago

I'm so fussy when it comes to perfumes as I frequently get headaches- so certain scents really bother me. But Sycomore has this woody freshness that is seriously lovely. Perfect for summer with a tangy note but then again beautifully warm for winter...kind of reminiscent of Issey Miyake which I was never completely fond of but there is something about Sycomore that really grabs me... My mother in law is always picking me up samples of beauty products which is always great & over a year ago she sent me a Sycomore sample, after she realised how much I loved it she bought me the 200mL bottle...an absolute luxury which will seriously last a lifetime!!! Apologies for the hopeless description I'm not very good with the perfume 'vetiver', 'notes', lingo! If you enjoy something woody but also tangy and fresh this is the one for you (& if your bank account allows for it- it's a little heavy on the pice tag!)..♥

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBrunette

3.0

10 years ago

Light smoky wood. A great one for summer, but seems a bit simple for Chanel. It doesn't change, it isn't layered and it never reveals or becomes. It goes on light smoky wood and stays that way the whole ride. Pretty, but I'm not loving it with drool and lust.

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

EyesBrown

10 years ago

This comes on strong but dries down to a soft, sweet, smokey vetiver. I get a slight fresh note from it, which could be the cypress or juniper, and the pepper note is obvious at first but fades to a manageable pitch on dry down. The main focus of the scent is an earthy, root-like, woodsy smell, that transforms into a great vetiver-skin-scent on me. Most vetivers dry down well on me -- from the classic Guerlain, to Sel de Vetiver to Vetiver Extraordinaire -- the Chanel is no exception. It's very well balanced, in my opinion, and although the earthy greeness and smoke is clear, they never seem to overpower the other elements -- the fading of the topnotes helps it achieve this balance. It is a scent made with the dry down in mind, and it works really well. I prefer scents like this on women, but it's clearly made as a unisex scent.

About reviewer (134 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

10 years ago

This was what I was hoping Ormonde Jayne Woman would be. Sycomore is as fresh and foreboding as an unexplored evergreen forest. Really, really like this one.

About reviewer (170 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Other, Medium

3.0

10 years ago

Sycomore is a soft, woody vetiver which I really do like. It is green and uplifting, a very thoughtful scent. However, I have known Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental and find this to be a far more complex, longer lasting scent. Sycomore is similar to VO only in that it is a smoky rendition of vetiver, it is softer, more approachable and lasts all of ten minutes on my perfume sucking skin. For the money, I want to smell and be smelled, gotta go the the Serge. It is still a very nice scent; if you like vetiver and your skin doesn't devour perfume as mine does, this could be the one. Worth a sample.

About reviewer (175 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Coarse

from

10 years ago

Oh how I love this fragrance, but then I love vetiver. If you love vetiver too then you should check this fragrance out. The initial top notes are very unique a smokey vetiver, but later as it dries down and evolves this fragrance ends up being quiet fresh. The dry down actually reminds me a bit of the middle notes of Terre d'Hermes which seems a bit strange because you would expect that the base notes would be heavier not lighter. A bit topsy turvy but I don't care a truly beautiful vetiver one that you can sink your teeth into, LOL, much better than Guerlains which now smells watered down to me.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Other, Other

10 years ago

Wonderful. It smells like a beautiful tree, with a bit of the dirt it's growing in. However, unlike, say, Un Bois Sepia, it does work as a perfume--it's very wearable. It is simple and "natural"-smelling, so it doesn't seem very Chanel to me--I associate Chanel with "perfumey," although in a good way. This seems almost like something by L'Artisan.

About reviewer (545 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

Sycomore is another example of Chanel's commitment to luxury and elegance. The opening of Sycomore is one of the most interesting a vetiver fragrance can offer. It smells a bit of chocolate, roots, and salt and pepper. It morphs fairly quickly into a dry smokiness which eventually makes way for long lasting, austere woods. All in all, Sycomore is an elegant addition to the vetiver fragrance family; it wears well in various temperatures, and I do not find it overpowering at all. It is persistent but stays close to the skin. The pepper and the woodsy notes give the fragrance an aura of austerity from top to drydown, while the characteristic soapiness of many vetiver fragrances is largely absent. I've read that florals are excluded from Sycomore. Not so fast; some iris sneaked in. It's quite noticeable in the drydown. Sycomore is a fitting addition to Chanel's Les Exclusifs line and is a must try for vetiver lovers.

About reviewer (124 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

1.0

10 years ago

I have never had very good luck with Chanel fragrances, they are just too darn pungent and heady on me. So I asked the fragrance board for recommendations based on the notes that I generally approve of, and this is the one they decided I should try. So when I ducked in to Nordstrom to escape a sudden rain storm I felt not the least apprehension about spritzing it right onto my wrists. I sort of enjoyed the initial burst of lime, but when I held it up to my cousin's nose she promptly wrinkled it and told me I smelled awful. Another five minutes into it I had to agree as the lime dried down and a sharp, unpleasant, harsh wood/earth thing took center stage. I offered my wrist again "it smells abrupt". What can she mean? I scrubbed it with an alcohol wipe, washed it off 4 times, nearly drawing blood in my attempt to escape it's nose-hair-singeing attack, but alas... It would not be removed. I spent the rest of our lovely relaxed shopping trip smelling quite abrupt.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm