American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocellulose, phthalic anhydride/trimellitic anhydride/glycols copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, stearalkonium hectorate, camphor, etocrylene, hydrolized keratin, calcium pantothnate

on 5/10/2017 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've learned after experimenting with this product for a few years now, that it works best on my nails as a base coat, and not as a top coat. It really does help my manicure to last longer when used as a base coat, but as a top coat, it doesn't last as long. Highly recommend for a base coat, as other reviewers have stated also.

on 12/10/2016 4:52:00 PM

If you wear glitter polishes at all, you NEED this top coat in your life. I love this product. It is so so so good. And cheap! I bought mine at Sally's for about $6. More than worth it!

Gelous is a thick but very clear and shiny polish that works as an excellent top coat for glitter. All the textured, bumpy, matte, Liquid Sand, Pixie Dust, and-everything-else, Gelous will fill in all the micro-gaps between the glitter pieces and smooth everything out PERFECTLY.

AND it adds a high-gloss shine. AND it makes your polish practically bulletproof! This shellac isn't coming off until you're ready to take it off! Fabulous, fabulous stuff. It's a must-have.

Love it. Will buy it again. Recommended!

on 10/17/2016 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a game changer for me. I have soft ,bendy nails that would cause nail polish to peel easily. I wouldn't bother painting my nails because it would only last a day. Now since using this following the directions I found on Pintrest, my nail polish lasts for days. Hardly any chipping. I could not be more pleased. The only drawback is I have to apply layers of polish and this product, so this is not something u want to do then rush out the door. I will always have this on hand.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I highly suggest this base coat. I bought it as a no-animal testing alternative to Essie All In One. I like it for a couple reasons: it dries fast but leaves a slightly tacky surface for nail polish to adhere. I keep my nails short, so I can't comment on it as a strengthener or for nail RX, but it was definitely a good Sally Beauty Supply blind buy for under $6. Also, it works absolutely fine with traditional as opposed to gel nail polishes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I was tempted to buy this for years. Not for the "faux gel manicure," but because shine and for glitter smoothing since I love my glitter polishes. Recently I finally bit.

As a glitter smoother, it's fantastic. It's super thick but I usually use two coats just to make it even smoother. My polish is not rough in texture when I use this. So this is the reason that I'll repurchase it, if for any.

As a base coat, which is its intended usage, it's okay. I haven't seen any yellowing or anything like it. Nothing special that I can't get from my Wet n Wild or KB Shimmer base coats. Its thickness also requires that you really get as much off of the brush as possible or it will begin flooding your cuticles. Even then I can easily cover three nails off before refilling my brush.

As a top coat however, it's garbage. It takes hours to dry. I wore it alone with no fast dry top coat for my last manicure and it was still easy to manipulate eight hours later. It quickly lost its shine and if it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a polish with a lot of shimmer and holo the fact that I had marks everywhere would've been obvious. I was so disgusted with how my polish looked that I was relieved when I removed it. I am definitely not wearing this alone again.

on 3/3/2016 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I love this stuff! Gives me a shellac look without the price. You do have to layer. It's super cheap at Sally's for only $5. My manicure lasted for almost 10 days! You should add this to your nail collection asap!!

This product is amazing! For those of you who want a DIY gel manicure, this is it.

First and foremost, for those of you ONLY using it as a top coat - DON'T. It doesn't work well that way. What you should do is use it in between layers to lock it in. Here's what I do: Orly base bonder + Seche base coat + thin layer color (let dry 1 min) + 1 layer of this (let dry 3 min) + thin layer color (let dry 1 min) + 1 layer of gel (let dry 3 min) + top coat.

Yes, it is time consuming but your manicure lasts and lasts and doesn't chip. I haven't done a gel manicure (except for my wedding) since finding this product over two years ago!

on 1/27/2016 7:39:00 AM

I work as ER nurse. I wash and sanitize my hands A LOT. Regular nail polish never survive even one 8 hours shift, so i stopped use my owen nail polishes and started to go to a manicure salon for gel nail polish, which is vert expensive.
I have read about this gelous top coat in pinterest and got it from ebay, which was pretty expensive (25$) and gave it a try.
WOW!!
Nail polish in now staying for 5 days chip free and survive the hardest shifts.
I use:
-1 coat of gelous
-2 coats of my nail polish (essie or China glaze)
-1 coat Sacha vite
-1 coat gelous
Sounds to messy but its really not.
Highly recommended!!

on 11/6/2015 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I purchased this product after watching several tutorials on YouTube on how to make your manicure last. Now I'm giving three stars because I do use cheaper brands of nail color so this could be the reason why this top coat does not work well. For one, it takes a very long time to dry. Two, once it does dry it bubbles horribly. I've tried to use it on a cheaper and more expensive brand of color and I get the same results. As far as chipping goes....it did last maybe 3 or 4 days before chipping. I honestly don't remember because I was so aggravated by the bubbling I just took the polish off. I've tried all of the various methods I saw on YouTube and I regret to say that this product is surely over rated.

on 8/21/2015 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm in love with this product. Makes any polish last for five o seven days in perfect condition, without chipping (used over the basecoat, between layers of polish, and before the top coat). Nails look fuller and stronger. I just buy three more bottles; I can't go back to living without this.