American Classics - Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocellulose, phthalic anhydride/trimellitic anhydride/glycols copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, stearalkonium hectorate, camphor, etocrylene, hydrolized keratin, calcium pantothnate

on 2/10/2018 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I do my nails myself. Always. Even acrylics. I use this as a base coat for natural nails because it fills in ridges from my acrylic nails. I also use this as a first top coat for hungry glitterbomb manicures. This prevents that rough surface. Love this, have been using for more than 10 years now. Learned about this from the nail board. Will always r purchase.

on 2/6/2018 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After years of salon visits for acrylic nails, SNS/powder-dipped manis, and gel manicures, I've decided to go back to natural nails. Currently they're in pretty rough shape - very thin and weak, with a lot of uneven texture due to salon drilling & acrylics - and in need of TLC. Most days I wear only clear strengthener, but when I want to wear polish, Gelous is a must-have for me. I find that it helps my polish last, adds enough thickness and strength that my nails are less prone to breakage, and helps fill in ridges and uneven texture so everything looks nicer. Nail polish typically lasts 1-2 days at best on me before chipping. I work full-time, do a lot of typing, and have regular household chores/life, so I can be hard on my nails. With my current manicure routine, I can easily get 5+ days out of a manicure. After prepping nails (trim, file with glass/crystal file, cuticles, wipe with remover or cleanser), my routine is a strengthening base coat (favorites are Butter London Horsepower or Orly Nail Defense) - let dry, 1 THIN coat of Gelous - let dry 1-2 minutes, 2 thin coats of polish, let dry 3 minutes then top with CND Vinylux top coat (even if not using Vinylux polishes). You're dry in 6 minutes (100% 'dent proof' in about 20-30 minutes) and it really does hold up. I also sometimes "cure" this under a UV lamp for a couple of minutes as Vinylux top coat becomes more durable over time with UV exposure, but I certainly don't think that is a necessary step. I saw Gelous discussed on several blogs and also Pinterest, and while I do not think it truly mimics the look and staying power of a salon gel manicure, it definitely does help polish last on my natural nails, and that's more than enough of a selling point for me. Will definitely always have this on hand.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I know that while some products work wonder for some people they do not work for others. This one is no go for me.

Pros:
- great formula, slightly thickening the nail and makes it oh so even. Better than any ridge filler in my opinion.

Cons:
- doesn't prolong the life of my manicure;
- doesn't prevent staining by pigmented polishes;
- my nails split after I wore this ( I haven't changed anything else).

I didn't need a nail surface smoother, I needed an extended wear and a nail protection that this base coat failed to provide.

on 5/10/2017 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've learned after experimenting with this product for a few years now, that it works best on my nails as a base coat, and not as a top coat. It really does help my manicure to last longer when used as a base coat, but as a top coat, it doesn't last as long. Highly recommend for a base coat, as other reviewers have stated also.

on 12/10/2016 4:52:00 PM

If you wear glitter polishes at all, you NEED this top coat in your life. I love this product. It is so so so good. And cheap! I bought mine at Sally's for about $6. More than worth it!

Gelous is a thick but very clear and shiny polish that works as an excellent top coat for glitter. All the textured, bumpy, matte, Liquid Sand, Pixie Dust, and-everything-else, Gelous will fill in all the micro-gaps between the glitter pieces and smooth everything out PERFECTLY.

AND it adds a high-gloss shine. AND it makes your polish practically bulletproof! This shellac isn't coming off until you're ready to take it off! Fabulous, fabulous stuff. It's a must-have.

Love it. Will buy it again. Recommended!

on 10/17/2016 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a game changer for me. I have soft ,bendy nails that would cause nail polish to peel easily. I wouldn't bother painting my nails because it would only last a day. Now since using this following the directions I found on Pintrest, my nail polish lasts for days. Hardly any chipping. I could not be more pleased. The only drawback is I have to apply layers of polish and this product, so this is not something u want to do then rush out the door. I will always have this on hand.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I highly suggest this base coat. I bought it as a no-animal testing alternative to Essie All In One. I like it for a couple reasons: it dries fast but leaves a slightly tacky surface for nail polish to adhere. I keep my nails short, so I can't comment on it as a strengthener or for nail RX, but it was definitely a good Sally Beauty Supply blind buy for under $6. Also, it works absolutely fine with traditional as opposed to gel nail polishes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I was tempted to buy this for years. Not for the "faux gel manicure," but because shine and for glitter smoothing since I love my glitter polishes. Recently I finally bit.

As a glitter smoother, it's fantastic. It's super thick but I usually use two coats just to make it even smoother. My polish is not rough in texture when I use this. So this is the reason that I'll repurchase it, if for any.

As a base coat, which is its intended usage, it's okay. I haven't seen any yellowing or anything like it. Nothing special that I can't get from my Wet n Wild or KB Shimmer base coats. Its thickness also requires that you really get as much off of the brush as possible or it will begin flooding your cuticles. Even then I can easily cover three nails off before refilling my brush.

As a top coat however, it's garbage. It takes hours to dry. I wore it alone with no fast dry top coat for my last manicure and it was still easy to manipulate eight hours later. It quickly lost its shine and if it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a polish with a lot of shimmer and holo the fact that I had marks everywhere would've been obvious. I was so disgusted with how my polish looked that I was relieved when I removed it. I am definitely not wearing this alone again.

on 3/3/2016 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I love this stuff! Gives me a shellac look without the price. You do have to layer. It's super cheap at Sally's for only $5. My manicure lasted for almost 10 days! You should add this to your nail collection asap!!

This product is amazing! For those of you who want a DIY gel manicure, this is it.

First and foremost, for those of you ONLY using it as a top coat - DON'T. It doesn't work well that way. What you should do is use it in between layers to lock it in. Here's what I do: Orly base bonder + Seche base coat + thin layer color (let dry 1 min) + 1 layer of this (let dry 3 min) + thin layer color (let dry 1 min) + 1 layer of gel (let dry 3 min) + top coat.

Yes, it is time consuming but your manicure lasts and lasts and doesn't chip. I haven't done a gel manicure (except for my wedding) since finding this product over two years ago!