Galderma - Benzac AC 2.5 (benzoyl peroxide water-based gel 2.5%)

Galderma - Benzac AC 2.5 (benzoyl peroxide water-based gel 2.5%)

4.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Benzac 2.5% is really effective in getting rid of my acne and bringing down inflammation. My skin is sensitive (due to use of all the harsh products I've used in the past) so it wasn't a sustainable treatment as it is quite harsh and abrasive.

I applied thinly at night after washing my face and left it for 5 min max then washed off. Then I moisturised well. Once I left it on over night, while it brought down my pimples, my skin became all red, tight and itchy and started developing rash. So do be careful and use sparingly if you have sensitive skin. I don't use it anymore because my skin has calmed down a lot more and am now using Bioderma Sebium range, which is really helping thankfully!! I will do reviews on this later.

Note: I've been suffering acne from puberty and went on Yasmin for 5 years. While it gave me beautiful skin, it's not at all a long term treatment as it only masks the problems and messes with your hormones! So stay away as acne treatment because I assure you acne will come back plus you can get bad side effects.

The most important lesson I've learnt recently regarding acne is from my mum. After seeing my photos and the bad acne I had, she said that because my skin has gotten so worse to the point of being continuously inflamed, it's important to find an effective acne-specific treatment first (even if it means harsh chemicals as long as your skin can handle - at that time I was opting for natural skincare and vitamin supplements and none was working and my skin was becoming chronically pimply). It needed a shock in the system and Benzac was that 'shock'. Once the skin has calmed down, then you can change to a less harsh treatment. But it's really important to knock your skin off the 'chronic' cycle first by targeting the problems before you can use gentler treatments to sustain it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

(NOTE: I use this in accordance with Acne.org's regimen, in place of the Acne.org Treatment, which is unavailable where I live.)
This isn't just a holy grail product for me, it's a product that would genuinely cause panic and major anxiety if I'm not well stocked up on it. For some reason, the 2.5% version is the hardest one to find - most drugstores do carry the 5% and 10% versions but don't bother with this one - which is annoying because this concentration is the only one that works on my skin as the others just turn my skin rough and irritate it too much that I get breakouts because of it!

Benzac 2.5%, though, is the only product I've tried - i.e. everything under the sun (that's over the counter) - that has cleared my oily acne-prone skin. It didn't work like magic, though. Rather, it worked in a boring, slow and gradual manner. You'll get really dry, rough and flaky skin for the first few months and thoughts of giving up would occur, but you'd soldier on because well, nothing else works anyway, so you might as well give this a try and persevere at least until the whole tube is used up. Then, about 4-5 months later (I told you it was slow), I realized that it's been a long time since I've had painful cystic acne. That's when I notice that my skin is generally cleared, and was only left with tiny bumps that clear out in a few days and lots of acne scars to heal. I veered off from the regimen and this product sometimes because I do get lazy, but always to my detrimental effects.

So yes, basically this BP gel and the Acne.org regimen have been my skin's saviour, but one thing you must keep in mind is that even at 2.5%, it is still a harsh product to use on your skin, so make sure to use very gentle cleansers and moisturize well everyday. And of course, patch test first to check if your skin reacts violently to it, it should only cause drying and flakiness in the first few months and nothing more. Magical fountains of youth/beauty that works for everyone do not exist so always be cautious when trying out products.

To Read all 39 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/28/2016 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My skin type is oily (especially in the t-zone) and I have mild acne around my jawline, chin, and lower cheek areas.

I used this in a twice daily regimen of cleansing, applying BP, and then applying moisturiser. I would allow five minutes or so for skin to dry between each step.

I started with only a pea-sized amount of BP. Within the first week I got flakey skin around my mouth and chin but this was quickly fixed by adding several jojoba oil to my moisturiser.

During the second week I doubled the amount of BP (two pea sized dollops). But my skin just did not react well to the BP. At first my skin would only sting after applying the BP. Then it got worse and my face would sting and tingle all day (it felt similar to a windburn). I became very red and looked sunburnt. The BP was essentially burning my face, even though I was only using small amounts.

When it became unbearable I stopped using BP. I will admit the BP was clearing my acne (which is why I give it two stars, instead of one), but the side effects weren't worth it. The tingling went away after a couple of days, and so did the sunburnt look. But the dry flakey skin came back after stopping BP and took about a week to go away. My acne also came back worse than before I started using the BP.

My suggestion is that if you have 'tough' skin and moderate-severe acne, then BP might be the solution for you.
If you have sensitive skin or only mild acne, I would look at other options first. Such as zinc supplements, change of diet, etc.

on 5/28/2015 1:45:00 AM

Bought this on Tuesday, it is now Thursday.

I say I have combination skin, but on the parts where my skin gets greasy, it gets really greasy. I use blotting paper on my nose/forehead about 5 times a day or those areas are so oily they look wet. Given this, I accepted that the big black heads on my nose that I have had since I was 11 or 12 were permanent features that nothing in the world could get rid of.

While on the oral contraceptive pill I had perfect skin for the most part, but after coming off of it I have had mild-moderate acne issues. Blackheads (forehead, nose, chin), a few pimples at any given time (forehead, cheeks, jaw, chin, nose) and plenty of white heads on cheeks/ forehead.

Have used for two days as ( for a couple of hours as directed, read the pamphlet thoroughly people!), and while it irritates my skin if not washed off thoroughly, and is INTENSELY drying (makes my skin look like red sandpaper!) I think I will continue using this in smaller amounts a couple times a week.

Because HOLY CRAP IT WORKS. It is the oddest thing, seeing the prominent blackheads I have always had on my nose start to actually disappear- I expected this would just dry out pimples but this gel has exceeded expectations.

It works fabulously but beware it is itchy, irritating stuff and will dry your skin. And always start on the 2.5%

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This did not work for me at all. It irritated my skin around the pimple/acne and did nothing for the actual pimple.
I used this while I had painful under the skin pimples along my cheeks and forehead. My regular Neutrogena Spot Treatment at the time was not enough to clear it.
So I picked this up at my local Chemist Warehouse and used it for about 1-2 weeks. This made the skin around my pimple dry, flaky and red. It was horrible!!!!!!!
Now I know that my skin doesn't react well to Benzoyl Peroxide. So i ditched it and went back to my Neutrogena Spot Treatment.

on 7/21/2014 11:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Absolutely brilliant I don't say that about really any skincare but this is 10/10. It isn't thick, heavy, oily, drying or anything it's just perfect. Before I used benzac I had these pimples around sides of face that would not go away no matter what I did, I tried loads on face washes, oil free, unclogging etc none worked at all. Then after 2 days of benzac 2.5% the pimples just come to the top ready to squeeze it's great.

on 6/11/2014 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been searching for and trying out an acne topical medication for years but none works as efficiently as this one. In all honesty, this is not a miracle product but it does keep my acne under control which is fantastic. Each time i feel a bump on my skin, i will apply a little amount on the bump and the next day, my skin will either be smooth or it will develop into a pus which i can extract easily. Please be warned that it DOES make your skin dry so make sure you use a good moisturiser after.

This product cured my mild acne. I have been obsessed with acne remedies reviews for a few years, researching how to get better skin.

I read up about Galderma 2.5 and decided to tried it. It had been about 5 months now, and I'm happy to notice that I have been able to confidently leave the house without makeup (for years, I felt the need to cover up my acne scars or any breakouts). My very rarely get breakouts now and because Benzac 2.5 is mild, I am thankful that I have not noticed any severe drying out of my skin.

I would completely recommend this!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I used the acne.org treatment with this, by rubbing it all over my face after using a gentle facewash. I used it for several weeks, and although it promises to reduce the redness and flakiness after the first week, mine went on for three. I couldn't take it anymore. My skin was so dry and it was so painful to rub it all over my face, that I just stopped. Although my acne cleared completely and I had such a beautiful complexion afterwards, the dryness just wasn't worth it. No amount of moisturizer could fix that. I went from having a super oily face to a face with absolutely no oil whatsoever. Just as well, I shouldn't be putting such harsh chemicals on my sensitive face. I don't suggest anyone do the BP routine. I think it would make your skin better but not in the long run. You wouldn't put BP all over your body, would you?

However, with that, I still do use BP on spots. I won't rub it all over areas but I put it on pimples. This works best on pimples you know are going to emerge but hasn't. But you can feel it. Put some BP on it, twice or thrice a day (after a clean face) and the pimple will not emerge. For existing pimples, put it on, and it will come to a head faster or disappear completely. It's not a miracle product. It won't flatten your zit in one night. But it does move the process quicker.

TL;DR don't use this for all over your face, use it solely on your pimples. Dab, don't rub.

on 10/11/2013 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this!!! I put it one acne-prone areas of my face ever night and my face is clear and smooth and the last time I had a break out was before I used this product and it's been like two months. I used to always be on the search for something to keep the breakouts on my cheek bones under control, after a clean and clear scrub broke me out majorly. However if you use this I would recommend putting on a sun screen in the morning a a moisturizer at night as benzyl peroxide can be very drying. If your thinking of buying it you should go for it, it could be the solution to your breakouts, unless you have really sensitive skin. Benzyl peroxide is also the main ingredient in proactive which heaps of people swear by, except proactive is way more expensive and they make you think you have to buy a million products for it to work when really it's just over priced benzyl peroxide in a really high strength thats going to irritate and over dry your skin. This stuff is amazing, go buy some.