MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

3.9

Mica, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Tritcum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methicone, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin [ /- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77162), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Maganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose is a loose mineral-based foundation powder. The plastic container houses the powder in the bottom with a slotted sifter. The screw on top includes a built in sponge applicator (caplicator in MAC-speak).

Mineralize Loose enhances the standard titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, and mica mineral base with barley extract, wheat germ oil, vitamin E and squalane. A full ingredient listing follows this review.

I love the satin, skin-like, not quite matte finish of this foundation. I do not like any obvious glow in my foundation of either the shimmer or pearlescent variety. Mineralize Loose does not accentuate my pores, fine lines or anything else I would prefer to minimize. I use this in combination with primer (Clarins Instant Smooth) and concealer (Lancome Effacernes). I find no other powder is required for this foundation to look finished and natural.

Coverage is light to medium. I find I can build coverage easily without this foundation looking cakey, obvious or overly glowy. Mineralize Loose blends easily and looks undetectable on my skin, even in full daylight. Mineralize Loose offers the identical satin finish of Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but increases the coverage from sheer/translucent to light/medium.

My coloring is cool-toned fair to light (MAC NW20). I can wear either the Light or Light Medium shades. Both colors are permanent. Light Medium is slightly deeper than my skintone but the finished effect is still very natural. I wear Light Medium when I am self tanning from the jaw down or in place of bronzer for an all-over boost of color. Otherwise, I use Light, which is a perfect match.

Mineralize Loose does not use the MAC color family designations: cool (NW), warm (NC) or neutral (C). Instead the shade names only denote depth of color from fair to deep. If at all possible, I recommend trying the shades on your skin in person. In general, Fair to light skintones (NC, NW, C 20, maybe 15 & 25) will probably prefer Light. In general, Light to medium skintones (NC, NW, C 30 and maybe 25) will probably prefer Light Medium.

Packaging The caplictor, like any sponge, offers heavier coverage and is not my favored application method for loose powder foundations. IME getting the loose powder evenly applied to the caplicator is challenging and blending is less than ideal. For me, brush application is vastly preferred to control coverage and achieve seamless blending. I dont bother transferring the powder from the MAC container to another. I just dip the brush into the sifter and apply.

Some reviewers mention permanently removing the caplicator sponge from the top (the sponge squishes in and out easily). Instead, I removed the caplicator sponge, placed a piece of plastic wrap over the whole contraption (gathered at the top), and fitted the plastic wrapped caplicator sponge back into the top. The sponge acts continues to act as a stopper when the container is closed and I don't waste or lose foundation.

Mineralize Loose works well with my normal to oily, acne prone skin. I do not find the formulation drying, nor does it cling to the occasional dry patch. This foundation does not offer explicit oil control over and above the powder formulation. I find a mid-morning blot necessary, same as with most other powder foundation. I am not sensitive to any of the ingredients in Mineralize Loose and have not experienced any breakouts.

While Mineralize Loose includes SPF 15, I do not rely on this as my primary sun protection. I do not apply anywhere near the required 1/4 teaspoon necessary to achieve the labeled SPF. Also, I prefer at least SPF 30 for daily wear.

I am not a mineral makeup aficionada. Ive experimented with and been disappointed by upwards of eight brands to date. BE seems to magnify my pores, find unknown fine lines, and requires mineral veil to tone down the mica glow. I was unable to discover a good color match in either Alima or Everyday Minerals and both looked somewhat obvious and made my oily skin appear parched. The other brands just combined aspects of my BE and Alima/Everyday Minerals experience. For mineral makeup, I will stick with Mineralize Loose. MAC hasnt made a convert of me so much as they created a mineral makeup that won my affection.

I love Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose. This foundation delivers the identical satin finish as Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but adds the light to medium coverage of a powder foundation. This applies seamlessly for me without enhancing pores, fine lines or dry patches. My normal to oily acne prone skin looks healthy, radiant and natural my skin but better. The only miss is the built in sponge applicator (caplicator), which is unimpressive. I use a brush for application but discovered that wrapping the caplicator sponge in plastic wrap turns it into a very effective stopper so I don't waste or loose foundation (see above). Regardless of whether MAC reconsiders the packaging, I will wear Mineralize Loose everyday and repurchase without hesitation.

-------------------------------------------
MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose Light Medium Ingredients:

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 7.00%

Ingredients: Mica, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Tritcum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methicone, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77162), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Maganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 7/7/2010 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

My search for the perfect foundation is finally over. For reference, I am 35 with quite dehydrated (read: flaky) skin around my nose and chin area. Fair skin, blue eyes. I've tried literally *all* of MAC's foundations, and with the exception of MSF Natural, loathed them all without fail. I popped into MAC this morning to pick up some Cleanse Off oil, and just on a whim asked about the Mineralize foundation (cream compact kind). The MUA had a proper look at my skin (Love you Andi!) and warned me that he didn't think the one I was interested in would suit me. He suggested the Loose version instead, but told me he would apply both, one to each half of my face, and let me decide for myself.

Once he was done, he grabbed a mirror and asked me to go outside with him (sunny day today). I cannot tell you how much I adore the Loose Mineralize foundation! Unlike it's creamy counterpart, its coverage is sheer but even and silky. It doesn't look like anything on my skin at all. Its hasn't dried out and gone flaky. It didn't sink into and accentuate my pores. My face doesn't look like a mask. It isn't too sparkly, but still has some depth. My skin looks (and feels!) absolutely amazing. Its been 4 hours since I applied it, and I spritzed it with MAC Fix+ to freshen my skin after lunch. It still looks gorgeous! :) I will test it for a few weeks, and update this review if my opinion changes.

My advice to people with dry skin who have had bad past experiences with Minerals: Try this one! You'll adore it!

Cons: The packaging is horrendous and completely impractical. Don't use the sponge applicator, not even once! It will contaminate your product and germs will breed like crazy, aggravating breakouts. Instead, use a makeup brush. I use a MAC 109 to apply and buff this into my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Love this foundation! This is the very first mineralized powder that does not sink into fine lines or pores after a couple of hours- I just didn't think this was possible! The finish is smooth and natural-very important to me,being as I am 41 and have some fine lines happening...it's inevitable, unfortunately :-(. This gives a great natural finish as well...allows my freckles to shine through, which, again, is important for someone my age... freckles allows a sort of youthfulness to us older gals, lol.

on 3/23/2013 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Bought the new version in the clear jar with the black lid. I do not like it at all. I bought it to use as a setting powder, not as a foundation. It's good i did because this does not have nearly enough coverage on its own, even considering how sheer its supposed to be. I am an NC25, a MUA on the MAC online chat told me to get Light/Medium. It's too light, I look very pale and washed out with it on. Also, I use a brush to apply my face powder, and the only way to do it with this is to turn the jar over and dump some into the lid. Inevitably, product gets wasted. Finally, this does not last at all on me. I apply it over Studio Sculpt foundation, so it should have some staying power. But by halfway through the day, it looks like I have no makeup on. Not good. Overall, very disappointing and will not repurchase.

on 7/24/2010 6:00:00 PM

I have been using Studio Fix for years, but when I went in to buy a darker shade for the summer, I decided to give the Mineralize SPF Foundation a try. Wow, I'm so happy I did. I thought I loved Studio Fix, but I love this one even more. It looks and feels more natural on my skin. Another great thing about it is that I used to get so oily in the t-zone that I would need to apply Blot Powder several times a day, but since I started using this product, I can get by with only one light application of powder half way through the day. :)

on 2/20/2009 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm not a big foundation person, but *love* this product! I had been looking for a light foundation with an SPF to even out my skin tone and this one is perfect. Yes, it is expensive, but I would rather purchase something that works than buy cheaper foundations that I'd never really use. This product adds a nice, natural glow and is not heavy. So far I've been applying it with a kabuki brush, but it's really small and contains a sponge, so you could even keep it in your handbag.

I have never used mineral makeup before and I thought I'd give this a try since it's nearly summer and my liquid foundation might be too much. I have normal/combination skin that can get slightly oily in hot weather, although I can get the odd dry patch too. Light Medium shade is a perfect colour match for my NC25, I was quite impressed with how it "disappeared" into my skin, I normally struggle with foundations being too pink, too light or too orange. The finish is not exactly matte, it's natural/dewy because it has small shimmer particles - very discreet, no obvious "glitter" here! I've applied this with my 187 brush (I find it too messy to use its own applicator) and used a very small amount which gave me good coverage. When I've checked the finish on a different light, away from my makeup table, I was dissapointed to notice that my skin had a slight powdery look and all my fine lines and pores were somehow accentuated. This doesn't normally happen when I use a good liquid foundation, I guess mineral makeup can be ageing for some people and I'm one of those. I have managed to get this working for me by using it very, very lightly as a setting powder on top of my foundation to tone down the shine. I didn't have any problems with breakouts or itchiness but I found it quite drying when I've used it alone on top of my moisturiser or primer. I think it's a great product, just not for me.
EDIT: As the summer got warmer, I am reaching for this more often than I thought, it's the only foundation that doesn't suffocate my skin, without compromising on coverage. I am using it on top of my Elemis sun screen SPF30 and it works really well.

on 5/5/2010 9:35:00 PM

This is the best mineral foundation I have ever used and I have tried many. I am a foundation addict. As I get older, my skin gets more dehydrated. Most mineral foundation is too dry and they settles into my pores and fine lines. If I use a heavier moisturizer underneath, the foundation looks blotchy.

But not this one! This goes on very smoothly, gives great coverage, and give me an airbrushed look. I have never had a foundation that made me look airbrushed because my pores are usually very noticeable. The best of all things is - this does not oxidize. Almost all foundations oxidize on me, even other MAC foundations. It makes my pores and fine lines seem invisible. It doesn't break me out but I rarely break out.

I am NC20 and I was initially given the medium shade. It was too dark and my skin looks dull. I also thought it didn't give enough coverage. I am a full coverage foundation girl. I went back and exchanged it for light medium and it is a perfect match. I put on a light moisturizer and use the e.l.f. kabuki brush to dust this on. For areas I need more coverage, I use the sponge on the lid to lightly go over those areas a few times. I don't even use a primer and it lasts all day. My nose gets slightly dewy (not shiny) after 8 hours or so but the foundation didn't slide off.

The packaging actually doesn't bother me, except that it is too bulky to fit in a makeup bag. When I use my kabuki brush, I put it on top of the container and flip it over quickly to get the right amount of powder on the brush. I then swirl, tap and dust. It takes only a few minutes to get the perfect skin. Unlike others, I actually use the sponge when I don't feel like pulling the brush out for touch ups. I am very very happy with this foundation and this is one of the best I have tried in a very long time. I think this will also make a great setting powder for other foundation.

I think the price is reasonable. You get a good amount of product and you only need very little. I am in love and will definitely get it again!

on 10/16/2008 9:41:00 AM

I am truly shocked by the horrid reviews! I have tried many MMUs and this one is great. I don't see a shine or sparkle. Goes on smoothly and stays. The packaging and amount could be better for the price but if it looks good who cares IMHO.

I am loving this foundation. I just cannot pull off Studio Fix anymore, it looks way too cakey and never goes on my skin smoothly, it always ends up looking patchy...yuck!

Enter this foundation. Didn't have high hopes for it because of the mixed reviews, but decided to try it out anyway. I love how silky this goes on, it gives me a nice med coverage. I am okay with the packaging... the sponge applicator is useless in my opinion. I have applied this with my 182, 187, and 129 brushes... Pretty much any fluffy and dense brush will apply this like a dream. The 187 not so much though, the synthetic white hairs are a little to "pointy" and just send powder flying everywhere :(

All that being said, I will try the Light shade next time because I did notice some oxidation going on. I am barely an NC20, so maybe the Light won't have that issue.