MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

MAC Mineralize Foundation / Loose - Light Medium

3.9

Mica, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Tritcum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methicone, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin [ /- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77162), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Maganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 3/31/2008 2:13:00 AM

For $29, this is an expensive little loose powder with innovative (yet ultimately not very effective) packaging. The top handle has a nice puff that picks up the loose powder in the package. I thought that maybe this user friendly packaging would be easier for me since I apply makeup in the car (I know, bad bad). But it just ended up depositing circles of powder around my face and required mirrored application and blending (unlike a regular powder brush which I found I could get away with brushing on my face without excess powder all over my face). To make matters worse, the powder didn't blend well into my skin and didn't control shine at all. The color was ok though for my NC30 skin tone. I returned the powder.

on 4/3/2008 2:08:00 PM

I'm in love with this product -- almost. I got a sample from the store (the MAs are so nice!) and applied it with my Kabuki brush over Strobe liquid. The finish is beautifully soft -- normally I wear Strobe liquid under my MMU so it doesn't look powdery, but this foundation has its own subtle illuminating qualities so Strobe liquid isn't necessary. The finish isn't irridescent or even "dewy", it's just gently glowy, like happy skin should look. It wears pretty well, and my face feels weightless. It's light-coverage, although probably buildable to close to medium-coverage. Also, no zits.
Only problem? THE SHADE RANGE SUCKS. The lightest shade is still relatively dark, and the entire range is very yellow-toned. I'd buy this foundation in a flash, even for $29.50, but for the fact that it's just too yellow for my skin. The range is too limited for most people, so no matter how good the foundation is, one lippie off for that.

on 4/26/2008 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I got this and love it. It is the closest thing I have used to making my skin looked airbrushed and flawless.

I agree that you it is so much easier to use to pour it into a little dish or somthing before you apply because my first application was just very average but second application I was able to swirl my brush (kabuki) around in it. I looked at it in the mirror after about 4 hours and it looked just applied.

Of course, my major disappointment is that I bought it in Light and her that may be limited or discontinued. I hope that I will at least be able to buy it online.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose is a loose mineral-based foundation powder. The plastic container houses the powder in the bottom with a slotted sifter. The screw on top includes a built in sponge applicator (caplicator in MAC-speak).

Mineralize Loose enhances the standard titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, and mica mineral base with barley extract, wheat germ oil, vitamin E and squalane. A full ingredient listing follows this review.

I love the satin, skin-like, not quite matte finish of this foundation. I do not like any obvious glow in my foundation of either the shimmer or pearlescent variety. Mineralize Loose does not accentuate my pores, fine lines or anything else I would prefer to minimize. I use this in combination with primer (Clarins Instant Smooth) and concealer (Lancome Effacernes). I find no other powder is required for this foundation to look finished and natural.

Coverage is light to medium. I find I can build coverage easily without this foundation looking cakey, obvious or overly glowy. Mineralize Loose blends easily and looks undetectable on my skin, even in full daylight. Mineralize Loose offers the identical satin finish of Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but increases the coverage from sheer/translucent to light/medium.

My coloring is cool-toned fair to light (MAC NW20). I can wear either the Light or Light Medium shades. Both colors are permanent. Light Medium is slightly deeper than my skintone but the finished effect is still very natural. I wear Light Medium when I am self tanning from the jaw down or in place of bronzer for an all-over boost of color. Otherwise, I use Light, which is a perfect match.

Mineralize Loose does not use the MAC color family designations: cool (NW), warm (NC) or neutral (C). Instead the shade names only denote depth of color from fair to deep. If at all possible, I recommend trying the shades on your skin in person. In general, Fair to light skintones (NC, NW, C 20, maybe 15 & 25) will probably prefer Light. In general, Light to medium skintones (NC, NW, C 30 and maybe 25) will probably prefer Light Medium.

Packaging The caplictor, like any sponge, offers heavier coverage and is not my favored application method for loose powder foundations. IME getting the loose powder evenly applied to the caplicator is challenging and blending is less than ideal. For me, brush application is vastly preferred to control coverage and achieve seamless blending. I dont bother transferring the powder from the MAC container to another. I just dip the brush into the sifter and apply.

Some reviewers mention permanently removing the caplicator sponge from the top (the sponge squishes in and out easily). Instead, I removed the caplicator sponge, placed a piece of plastic wrap over the whole contraption (gathered at the top), and fitted the plastic wrapped caplicator sponge back into the top. The sponge acts continues to act as a stopper when the container is closed and I don't waste or lose foundation.

Mineralize Loose works well with my normal to oily, acne prone skin. I do not find the formulation drying, nor does it cling to the occasional dry patch. This foundation does not offer explicit oil control over and above the powder formulation. I find a mid-morning blot necessary, same as with most other powder foundation. I am not sensitive to any of the ingredients in Mineralize Loose and have not experienced any breakouts.

While Mineralize Loose includes SPF 15, I do not rely on this as my primary sun protection. I do not apply anywhere near the required 1/4 teaspoon necessary to achieve the labeled SPF. Also, I prefer at least SPF 30 for daily wear.

I am not a mineral makeup aficionada. Ive experimented with and been disappointed by upwards of eight brands to date. BE seems to magnify my pores, find unknown fine lines, and requires mineral veil to tone down the mica glow. I was unable to discover a good color match in either Alima or Everyday Minerals and both looked somewhat obvious and made my oily skin appear parched. The other brands just combined aspects of my BE and Alima/Everyday Minerals experience. For mineral makeup, I will stick with Mineralize Loose. MAC hasnt made a convert of me so much as they created a mineral makeup that won my affection.

I love Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose. This foundation delivers the identical satin finish as Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural but adds the light to medium coverage of a powder foundation. This applies seamlessly for me without enhancing pores, fine lines or dry patches. My normal to oily acne prone skin looks healthy, radiant and natural my skin but better. The only miss is the built in sponge applicator (caplicator), which is unimpressive. I use a brush for application but discovered that wrapping the caplicator sponge in plastic wrap turns it into a very effective stopper so I don't waste or loose foundation (see above). Regardless of whether MAC reconsiders the packaging, I will wear Mineralize Loose everyday and repurchase without hesitation.

-------------------------------------------
MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Loose Light Medium Ingredients:

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 7.00%

Ingredients: Mica, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Tritcum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methicone, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphensin [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77162), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Maganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Great packaging, bad product. I was excited when this came out, but it was dissapointing. The coverage is not bad to say,however it barely lasted 2 hours on my face, like it had melted off. i much prefer my HG mac Studio fix powder to this in terms of coverage and staying power. the finish was also a little too shiny for my liking, i like matte polished finishes. thumbs up for the packaging though.

on 5/9/2008 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this product yesterday and I wasn't impressed. I used to use Studio Fix and have decided to go to a mineral powder foundation instead. I found the applicator to be difficult and time consuming. Each time you need more product you have to insert the top back into the tub and tap the bottom of it. Not something I would want to deal with when I'm getting ready in the morning.

It also was a little Iridescence which bothers me since I don't have the clearest of skins. I felt it magnified flaws instead of hide them. Also the SA at Mac did not match me up right because the color she chose was too yellow.

I would spend my money on something else that has better designed packaging and coverage.

I have never used mineral makeup before and I thought I'd give this a try since it's nearly summer and my liquid foundation might be too much. I have normal/combination skin that can get slightly oily in hot weather, although I can get the odd dry patch too. Light Medium shade is a perfect colour match for my NC25, I was quite impressed with how it "disappeared" into my skin, I normally struggle with foundations being too pink, too light or too orange. The finish is not exactly matte, it's natural/dewy because it has small shimmer particles - very discreet, no obvious "glitter" here! I've applied this with my 187 brush (I find it too messy to use its own applicator) and used a very small amount which gave me good coverage. When I've checked the finish on a different light, away from my makeup table, I was dissapointed to notice that my skin had a slight powdery look and all my fine lines and pores were somehow accentuated. This doesn't normally happen when I use a good liquid foundation, I guess mineral makeup can be ageing for some people and I'm one of those. I have managed to get this working for me by using it very, very lightly as a setting powder on top of my foundation to tone down the shine. I didn't have any problems with breakouts or itchiness but I found it quite drying when I've used it alone on top of my moisturiser or primer. I think it's a great product, just not for me.
EDIT: As the summer got warmer, I am reaching for this more often than I thought, it's the only foundation that doesn't suffocate my skin, without compromising on coverage. I am using it on top of my Elemis sun screen SPF30 and it works really well.

on 5/18/2008 7:12:00 PM

I love this foundation. I've used a few of the higher end brands of mineral powder makeup, both loose and pressed and this is on the same order as GloMinerals loose without the shine. I happen to like the puff that comes with it...I much prefer it to a kabuki brush simply because that doesn't work well with the size of the container and the puff works so why mess with it? I also have it in Medium and will likely mix the two shades Light Medium and Medium for summer. I've not tried Medium by itself but think I could probably get away with it by itself in the middle of summer, or after I've used a self tanner on my face. This product is worth checking out if you have tried other mineral powder foundations and were never quite impressed with the finish. This one looks incredibly natural.

on 6/4/2008 6:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I normally use Studio Fix pressed powder but decided to expand my horizons and try Mineralize Loose for the hot summer. I love the product--it provides great coverage, doesn't apply heavy when I use MAC 109. However, I have mixed feelings about the packaging. I like the sponge applicator cover because it keeps the powder from sifting out (which is why I hate loose powders with sifters)--great for traveling in your purse or suitcase! I hate the cover because it is not a cover where you can tap the powder out into and dip. I might buy it again--not sure yet at this point.

I'm not in love with the sponge cap thingy. I don't know; it just seems to deposit powdery chunks of the product on my face that refuse to blend. My Everyday Minerals kabuki brush is much more effective. I tend to get compliments on my complexion when I wear it, and it doesn't magically melt off of my face by the end of the day. I am, however, still on the lookout for my HG foundation. I doubt I would buy this again because I rarely buy anything a second time; I'm always experimenting with new products. I'll use this up, but in the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for something better (less powder-matte and more dewy-natural would be nice). HG foundation, where art thou?
EDIT: Upgrading to five lippies after playing with this more. A very small amount still provides enough coverage for me without looking heavy, and it doesn't appear to cause breakouts. I may stick with this foundation after all.