Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil

Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil
Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil

3.5

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Sodium Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Steareth-20, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Sodium Borate

This just didn't work for me, and it smells so good I really wish it had. I got this because I was looking to quit using aluminum deodorants as I thought it would be a healthier choice for my body. But I have given this product over a month for a transition period (most people don't know but you can sweat and stink more for a few weeks after switching) and I still stink worse than I ever have. I don't even sweat much, but my B.O is AWFUL. Switching to a different aluminum free product asap.

Sorry, this just didn't work for me :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

*** UPDATE *** After a few years of using this deo with the success I detailed below, it just stopped working and started irritating my skin. Not sure what happened, even if the formula had changed (which I don't think it did) this stopped working toward the end of deodorant I'd already been using without issues. I stopped using it and switched over to the much-recommended Soapwalla, but I am glad this happened because Soapwalla is DEFINITELY my new HG and I'd not have found it otherwise.

This was only the second natural deodorant I ever tried when "going green" and I must be the luckiest person ever as it is HG status for me and works better than any of the non-natural options I tried for years leading up to this.

Desert Essence Tea Tree deo is a clear/gel solid that can usually be found for around 3-4 usd on sale (I get it from various vitamin-type retailers online) and I think retails for 6 (which is still a bit cheaper than many other natural deos out there). It goes on smoothly and totally clear but does take a few minutes to dry. I have been rushed many times to dress immediately after application though and it doesn't seem to stain or otherwise affect clothing, it just doesn't seem to work quite as well if I don't let it soak in.

I find the aloe and tea tree very soothing to the skin, particularly after shaving, but would imagine that those sensitive to EOs should patch tes and/or avoid since this deo contains a fairly generous amount of both tea tree and lavender EOs. I also like the somewhet medicinal scent, but that's a matter of personal preference plus, the scent doesn't really stick around anyway (which I also love because it doesn't interfere with perfume).

It took about 4-6 weeks when I first switched from traditional antiperspirants for my body to adjust to not having something try to block my sweat glands and I was definitely producing far more sweat than usual. During this transitional perios, I applied the DE deo every few hours or so, which was a PITA but definitely kept BO at bay. Post-adjustment, I actually noticed I sweat far less than I had for many years previously which is definitely a selling point for aluminum-free deos in general as I was *thisclose* to going the clinical-strength route after spending my entire school career sweating noticeably more than my peers.

In the 3 or so years since my first experience with DE I have tried a handful of other natural deos which seemed to make me smell worse and sometimes even sweat more than going entirely without, and others that have worked but irritated my skin, so I keep coming back to the DE. I apply right after a shower, sometimes preceded by a spritz of Crystal deo spray (see separate review) and rarely need to reapply - only if I have had a very active or stressful day, if the weather is extremely hot, or if I am hungover (yes, drinking to much makes me smell weird). If I do need to reapply, it's usually about 7-10 hours into my day - like after work but before going out or similar.

I can't imagine a reason why I would not keep purchasing this deodorant - perhaps if they discontinues it or something, but otherwise it is *the* Holy Grail of odor prevention in my cabinet and I do not plan on being without it any time soon.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like this as a natural deodorant. When I first used it, I was under the impression that it smelled good at first but eventually turned bad... But I was wrong. With more use, I realize it's pretty good! It doesn't transfer onto my clothes because it's clear, it's not chalky or slimy- just a happy medium. Tea tree oil definitely smells fresh and clean. It's good (:

on 10/9/2012 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great smelling natural deodorant, but it didn't work for me. I get a really funky smell during certain times of the month and this did not cut it at all. This will not stop you from sweating, but I knew that so no complaints there. Wish this had worked because the smell is really great. Hope it works for others.