Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil

Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil
Tea Tree Oil Deodorant with Lavender Oil

3.0

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Sodium Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Steareth-20, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Sodium Borate

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have been using this for 2 months (spring/summer) in 80 degree heat. It worked fine until a few weeks ago then suddenly stopped working. I haven't changed the food I eat or my unscented laundry detergent so there's no reason for it to have just stopped. Loved the smell of it too but alas, I had to resort to buying an aluminium student. The b.o was worse than not wearing any deodorant. I had to wash my pits up to 3 times a day with this.

on 7/19/2009 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have very sensitive skin, and for the last few years my underarms have been getting increasingly more sensitive. I've been using this for about a week now, and so far no rashes or irritation. It's not an antiperspirant, but I do find that I stay relatively dry even in the hot california summer. I definitely DON'T stink no matter how active I've been. I like the light herbal scent of this because it's not overpowering, but it doesn't just cover up bad smells w/ perfume like a lot of other types of deodorants I've tried. My only complaint is that like a lot of roll-on liquids it's a bit sticky. I don't fault it for that because I'm very picky about that, and it's my pickiness, not the product. To counter that I dust on a little Honey Bee Gardens Deodorant Powder, and I'm good to go.

I had been using Dove Clinical Protection anti-perspirant/deodorant, but wanted to switch to aluminum-free deodorant. I had read reviews that this Desert Essence one with tea tree oil worked very well, so I tried it.

For the first few days, I applied it after my morning shower, and I got the impression that it kept odor away for the day, and then it would be extremely obvious that I needed to shower the next morning (much more so than with my previous product). Unfortunately, it's been a few weeks and it seems like it's working for a shorter and shorter time--now it's only 4 or 5 hours before I feel like I need to shower. I'm disappointed by this product. I might be all right if I am able to go to the bathroom and wash up every 4 hours, but at that point I might as well just not wear deodorant at all. Heh. Back to using the aluminum anti-perspirant until I can find something better.

I gave it a 3 because it probably works better than nothing at all, and the smell is much better and more natural than the cheap chemical perfumes that are usually in anti-perspirants at the average drugstore.

EDIT: Okay, it's been 4 days since I wrote that review, and for those 4 days, as a test, I put the Dove Clinical Protection under my left arm and the Desert Essence under my right. It has actually worked MUCH better for me in the last 4 days--just very slightly less than the Dove. Hardly any stickiness or odor. So I am changing my rating to 4 lippies!

I think the difference is that before, I wasn't using enough. When I swoop 6 times total (up, down, up, down, up, down) it works just fine.

EDIT AGAIN: A few months later. I was still having unpredictable results and on some days, it would just fail to work. Not good. I'm giving it a rating of 2 because it works sometimes.