Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Loose Powder Microfinishing Powder

Filtered by hair type : Straight

3.6

100 silica

This stuff has turned out pretty awesome, but it took me a good while to perfect how I apply it, and which foundations it settles into best. Definitely would recommend for someone who has a lot of experience with make up! I normally will apply this with a soft brush to areas where I highlight my face ( undereyes, cheekbones, bridge of nose, ect) since my skin is more on the tan side. I put a very very light amount on the rest of my face so it doesn't look too powdery or washed out. This has lasted me a pretty long time! My advice would be to definitely play around with it, and use a light amount. If I don't find anything cheaper that as just as finely milled as this, I'd buy again, maybe the smaller container though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I an always on a look-out for matifying powders. Long-term :) this one is not the case. It does matify my skin for a little while and it is very finely milled but i love it the most to set up my undereye concealer. It's great at that. And it goes a long way. Will definitely re-purchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This powder is all right, I say that because I think the stage brands offer better versions of this. If you apply to much it can cakeup under the eyes or around your dry patches and for us olive to darker skinned women there can be flash back in photos I used this mostly in My T-zone after I have applied a powder that has some pigment to it.

This product is 100% Silica powder therefore Talc-free.
I read the previous review stating that silica is super dangerous but it quotes a site for Health & Safety in construction which I didn't think could be the same material used in cosmetics so I searched for more information and found this to be pretty informative.

All these dangerous chemicals on our faces is stressful, obviously I'd prefer to go make-up free everyday but my skin is blemished with Rosacea, broken veins, open pores, uneven skin-tone, oiliness etc. etc. from even before I used make-up or cosmetics.

Anyway this powder is pretty good I think, maybe it is causing a few spots I can't be sure as I'm also using a new sunscreen - BioDerm Matte 30SPF.
I found this powder gives my makeup a more natural finish than any other powder I've tried.
If you're interested in trying it, get the small pot from Sephora and apply with a soft brush or, if you need extra smoothing, pore-filling results, pat on with a powder puff or pad.

I also mixed it with my BareMinerals powder ( BM in Original which has a lot of sheen to it so it balances out )

I purchased this because I wanted to give another setting powder a try. I also received a mini jar sample of this from Sephora. I put this on after foundation and took a flash photo and what do you know it makes me look like an ashy ghost. It feels super drying as well. I have yellow/neutral tones about an NC25 for reference, definitely not going to recommend this to my darker skintoned babes. Immediately returned the unopened box back to the store. I'm swearing off any setting powders with silica.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used NYX and ELF before I bought this product, so I can share the similarities and differences between these powders. All three products are finely milled silica, which is known to cause that ghostly appearance in flash photography. And believe me, all three do cause the washed out look with the MUFE looking less offensive than the other two because the particles are much smaller and less dense. That being said, MUFE is probably the better of the three to be caught in with flash photography if used sparingly. It's meant to be lightly dusted and it really does a great job mattifying oily skin with a small amount of powder. I use the large powder brush and gently dab it on my T-zone. Like all loose powders, this is messy to work with and shouldn't be moved around with too much. Although I think the packaging of MUFE makes it a little more travel friendly compared to NYX due to the better designed cap that prevents most of the powder from spilling. I choose to peel the paper slightly because it helps from over spilling. Instead I tap the top of the paper and some powder is dispensed for me to swirl the brush in. I would repurchase this powder again as it doesn't look cakey on me and it keeps my oily skin look matte.

Pros:
- lightweight matte powder
- suits most skin tones
- blends and blurs skin imperfections on camera (film)
- innovative packaging that dispenses product well
- velvet soft finish on skin
- little goes a long way
- sets under eye makeup beautifully (use very sparingly)

Cons:
- not good for makeup novices
- easy to use too much powder
- causes flash back if used excessively in one area or all over
- quite messy to work with
- pricy

Loved it when I first used it because your skin literally glides after using it to set your foundation. I was actually sold when I tested it on my hand in Sephora. I was shocked (yes, shocked) at how velvety smooth my skin felt. However, I do find that it can make your makeup look thicker and cakier than it already is, especially if you are using a heavier foundation so my advice is to use it sparingly with a kabuki brush.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I was sure I reviewed this powder before but hey.. I forgot. This is a decent microfinish setting powder that makes your skin look flawless and super silky. It does set the makeup fine. However, it makes the dry skin look flakier, and it can ball up if used with certain kind of product... Also, to me it's really similar, IF not the same product, as the HD setting powder from elf... so If you want to try this one but not try the price.. go and buy the E.l.f. HD setting loose powder, and you'll be all set.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders. They are by far my favorite powders because they control my oil and I'm super Talc sensitive so most others won't work for me. This one is quite light so it's easy to inhale (which I dislike). The new packaging with the mesh is really nice and helps keep the mess down. My biggest complaint is the price. I just can't justify the price when awesome powders like ELF HD are around for so cheap. If I can figure out how to get the top off, I'll refill it with ELF HD powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Total HG. I've worn this powder every day since I first discovered it several years ago. My #1 most important product in my very well-stocked makeup arsenal.