Clinique Quick Eyes Cream Shadow - Lucky Penny

No Image

4.5

on 2/28/2010 12:14:00 AM

This is so easy to put in a jiffy. The color is gorgeous and really makes my blue eyes pop. It can be used as a base or a primer. Or you can wear it alone. I love the versatility. It ran out way too fast, which is where it lost a lippie. What can I say, I have three small kiddos and I depend on my makeup to last me more than a month.

on 1/11/2010 11:41:00 PM

Received this as a present. The color is subtle but makes a nice eye brightening impact. Easy to build for more drama and apply other covers over it. The texture is really nice, the perfect thickness/creaminess. Easy to put on, doesn't pull skin. Creases on my oily lids LESS than powder shadows, but still creases some without a primer. Very nice, usable formula. It seems like there is probably a better bang for your buck in cream shadow department, but if you need something for $10 to put you over & get the clinique BONUS - this is a good choice as one of these will last a LONG time too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Quick Eyes Cream Shadows are Cliniques entry to the longwearing, crease-proof cream eye shadow market. They are sold in a plastic tube with a doe foot applicator. Despite being longwearing, these shadows remove easily with soap and water. I consider Lucky Penny a muted, mid-tone coppery brown.
With oily lids and a desire to do my makeup once and have it last until I take it off, this is the type of product I want in my makeup bag of tricks. In the past Ive minimized my use of pearl/frost eyeshadow finishes, preferring MACs satin finish (between a matte and shimmer). I decided to try Quick Eyes even though they are outside my comfort zone and was very pleasantly surprised. The pearl finish provides enough light play to make the color modern and flattering, but doesnt overemphasize crepe-y texture or anything else Id rather no one notice.
Quick Eyes use a liquid cream texture that dries in a flash to a powdery, velvet finish. They are very easy to blend and deposit color evenly. Lucky Penny, a mid-tone coppery brown, is in the middle of the Quick Eyes brown tone offerings. Sparkling Nude and Sea Shell are lighter. Muffin is equal in tone but is a neutral, cool brown. Truffle and Cocoa Shimmer are deeper. Lucky Penny is softly natural and applies moderately opaque. While Lucky Penny applies less sheerly than either Sparkling Nude or Sea Shell, the finished intensity is still not quite what I would call a true mid-tone. On my light coloring (NW20), I wear Lucky Penny as a light to mid-tone lid color. Deeper colorings or those who desire a less muted look, might need to layer Lucky Penny to reach the desired intensity.
Lucky Penny offers slightly buildable color. The soft, dry finish means this shadow doesnt like to cling to itself, which inhibits some color building. I can layer two coats but not much more. Without a shadow primer, there can be a tendency to end up with more Quick Eye shadow on your finger than eyelid. I find pairing Quick Eyes with a shadow primer (UDPP), applying Quick Eyes directly to the eye in dots, and tapping gingerly helps when layering and avoids removing more the shadow than you apply.
While Lucky Penny and Muffin are similar in tone, I would not say the colors are equally similar. Lucky Pennys coppery brown color is warm. Muffins neutral brown shade is cooler and suggestive of MAC Era shadow.
With oily lids, to avoid slight creasing, I do need to use a shadow primer (UDPP). This is not exceptional, MAC Paint Pots, Loreal Hip Cream Shadow Paints, and BB Long-Wear Cream Shadow all crease on my oily lids without a primer. For those without oily lids, I expect Quick Eyes will live up to its creaseless promise without the use of primer.
I am impressed with and very much like the Quick Eye Cream Shadows in general. They really are fast, convenient, easy to use and longwearing. If you are looking to achieve the softly natural, polished Clinique look, then Quick Eyes are a simple means to an end. I love Lucky Penny and find it to be a wearable, flattering and fairly unique color. I especially like it paired with bronzes, or, for the unexpected, pinks. If I finish the tube, Ill definitely purchase another.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This looked gorgeous on today! I am so happy I got it even though I never had any Clinique eyeshadows before. Went on smoothly and effortlessly. Stayed on till I took it off. Looked so pretty without any other colors even. I just had this on my lid/in crease. I want to try them all now!

I got this as a sample awhile ago. I finally decided to go back and buy a bottle! I have this shade and rock violet. Both BEAUTIFUL colors!

I suggest using some primer first to ensure it doesnt crease..but I get compliments on my eyes whenever I wear this shadow! It brightens my eyes right up and it goes with anything! Will buy again and again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great product to use for an eyeshadow base. I have light to medium skin and I have been using this a base for my shadows. On my skin tone is has a subtle nude pearlescent color that I could wear alone or build on with color. It is has a great lasting power and keeps any shadow I apply on all day! The consistency is creamy and thick which allows for great application.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Very pretty peachy/copper(light) shade. These new Quick Eyes cream sahdows are nothing short of wonderful! This one is no different! Great neutral to warm shimmers that stay put! Love!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this the other day as they are new to the Clinique line. I wanted something easy to use, as a base and a shadow, that is also long wearing. It seems that the companies are discontinuing their cream shadows in favor of sticks. I was glad to see that Clinique reformulated their cream shadows instead of discontinuing them. This product is very creamy and easy to use. I like the color, and it is very different than the original "lucky penny" in the powder form. It is a shimmery copper color that is very light. It is long wearing, at least on me. It has just enough color to use as a color on its own. Not too overpowering. The only thing I didn't like about the packaging is the doe foot applicator as it can become goopy when you are trying to use it repeatedly. There were about 8 colors in the line, but the store was already out of several of them and they just got them in that day! Overall, I like the product, and will try to get a couple more. The color ranges: nude, mocha, pink, plum, copper and green. All are shimmery, but can be layered for intensity.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I had bought some of these the other day and had pre-selled some as well for an upcoming gift with purchase. The long-wearing and water resistant aspect of this really sold me. I love the fact they have such a gorgeous range of colors in these! Especially Rock Violet and Sunlit Palm. My only gripe so far is that after about 6-7 hours it does kind of crease up on me. But it may be just me and the way I apply it. When I've used the other eyeshadow bases they sell I had to play around with how much to apply so it doesn't crease on my oily eyelids. Overall though I really love this stuff and hope to eventually buy the Lucky Penny shade. I just hope I can break the code in applying this so I don't have it crease up on me anymore!

on 4/10/2008 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is brand new and I love it! I love this color and the Sunlit Palm one (a fun green color). This shadow glides on super easy and is pretty smudge proof. Mine stayed on all day long with no creasing!! I love the way lucky penny looks on my green eyes!! You can wear this alone or you ca layer other colors on top of it. I can't wait to try all the other fun colors!!