Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Purple Potion

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

I tried searching for a collection in which Purple Potion was introduced to the Xtreme Wear line, but came up empty, so I assume that it was part of the core colour selection at some point, though it's not listed on the site now. You may still find it in physical discount stores, but you are better off looking online - it's still very easy to find at low prices on many retail sites. I best describe Purple Potion as a violet-leaning purple shade, which has blue flashes in a pearly finish.

The first coat of Purple Potion applies sheer, patchy and uneven, so I was planning on three coats and imagining bumps and brush strokes in the finished result. However the second coat evens the coverage, builds the opaqueness fully, and dries quickly to a smooth & shiny finish - it took my a while to pick a finish to describe Purple Potion with, as the intense shine is almost metallicy and had me staring, trying to find shimmer particles (nope). It doesn't stain my nails, and the wide brush is perfect for my nail shape. I've removed a lippie as Sally Hansen's pearl/frost finishes seem to chip quicker then the other polish finishes do, which does slightly lessen my love for this shade.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This color is amazing. It takes two coats and a top coat. It is bright and shines. It is a good quality nail polish. It does not ship easily. It is part of my top ten colors. I find the color so pretty and stunning that I am thinking of doing a dress the same color.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The color is beautiful and unique, but there are a few problems. You have to use 2 coats which is no big deal, but it did not last long. After 2 days the tips of all my nails had worn away. By day 3 I had big chips in a few nails. Wouldn't buy again.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great color! Definitely unique in my large collection. The 4 is for color alone, though, as the formula is kind of a pain. It's very thin and streaky, and 3 coats to being opaque. It's worth it though, as it's a gorgeous reddish purple with very heavy blue shimmer. I don't know if I got a weird bottle or what, as others seem to have had better luck. Anyway, it's lovely, and if I ever used it up, I'd probably buy it again. Definitely recommend if you want to work at it a bit.

This is a very unique color that I picked up because it wasn't like any other purple I'd seen before. It's opaque in 2 coats, but it looks just as good, only different, when applied with only one coat. The brush is great! I can easily cover my nail with 3 swipes, and I have wide nails. It applies very smoothly as well. It's a great consistency that isn't too thin as to drip everywhere, and not too thick as to being impossible to work with. The thing that upsets me is that it takes quite a while to dry, and if it's not completely dry when you add another layer it slides. But I'm quite patient with nail polish, so this isn't that big of a deal.

This is a red-purple nail polish with blue duochrome; it's a beautiful colour for summer.
This is a 3-coater - the first coat goes on sheer with a magenta-like hue, but with two more coats the purple deepens and the blue duochrome is quite strong in direct sunlight! Definitely stunning :)
Now this is where I take marks off...
Application was fine; but in terms of durability it started getting dents and wearing off at the tips in a few hours
without a top coat. I definitely recommend a top coat with this polish if you want it to last longer. Drying time was a bit long, as I made the mistake of applying polish too soon, which caused it to shift :/

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is my absolute favourite polish colour! I have bought too many bottles to count! It's easy to apply and dries quickly. The only bad thing about it is that it chips within two days so it's best to use a topcoat to make it last longer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is an interesting color for sure. It's a medium red-violet with strong blue duochrome. It ends up looking much more blurple on the nail than in the bottle. The formula is a bit gummy and sheer (3 coats to get it opaque), and it also doesn't seem to dry as quickly as other Xtreme Wears. I am a purple lover and this polish is different from anything I have in my collection, so I will most likely hang on to it. Reminds me a little but of WnW Eggplant Frost but with more of a reddish plum undertone. Not something I'll wear all the time but definitely a unique color.

This is an amazing purple! I was very surprised at the shade when I put it on and I'm very happy with it. Seems to have slight pink undertones and gives it a bit of a boost.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This nail polish is a purple-violet shimmer, with blue undertones. This is an okay color I suppose.

Popular Polishes