Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Purple Potion

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The color is beautiful and unique, but there are a few problems. You have to use 2 coats which is no big deal, but it did not last long. After 2 days the tips of all my nails had worn away. By day 3 I had big chips in a few nails. Wouldn't buy again.

This is a red-purple nail polish with blue duochrome; it's a beautiful colour for summer.
This is a 3-coater - the first coat goes on sheer with a magenta-like hue, but with two more coats the purple deepens and the blue duochrome is quite strong in direct sunlight! Definitely stunning :)
Now this is where I take marks off...
Application was fine; but in terms of durability it started getting dents and wearing off at the tips in a few hours
without a top coat. I definitely recommend a top coat with this polish if you want it to last longer. Drying time was a bit long, as I made the mistake of applying polish too soon, which caused it to shift :/

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This nail polish is a purple-violet shimmer, with blue undertones. This is an okay color I suppose.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is an interesting color for sure. It's a medium red-violet with strong blue duochrome. It ends up looking much more blurple on the nail than in the bottle. The formula is a bit gummy and sheer (3 coats to get it opaque), and it also doesn't seem to dry as quickly as other Xtreme Wears. I am a purple lover and this polish is different from anything I have in my collection, so I will most likely hang on to it. Reminds me a little but of WnW Eggplant Frost but with more of a reddish plum undertone. Not something I'll wear all the time but definitely a unique color.

I love the color it is very fun, however this started to fade at the edges very early. I wouldn't call it chipping but the tops of my nails started to lose a little strip of polish after about 2 days. the price was great though, only $2 at wal mart.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This nail polish takes too long to dry for my tastes, especially since you usually need two coats for a vibrant color. If you have the time though, the color is definately rewarding, and lasts up to a week, even without a top coat. I have already bought Xtreme Wear in two other colors, because they are so intense and out of the ordinary. Good value for that price too.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Kind of weird, but good on my toes. Fun for little girls.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

There is nothing too special about this purple, it's very cute! A nice pearly purple.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I tried searching for a collection in which Purple Potion was introduced to the Xtreme Wear line, but came up empty, so I assume that it was part of the core colour selection at some point, though it's not listed on the site now. You may still find it in physical discount stores, but you are better off looking online - it's still very easy to find at low prices on many retail sites. I best describe Purple Potion as a violet-leaning purple shade, which has blue flashes in a pearly finish.

The first coat of Purple Potion applies sheer, patchy and uneven, so I was planning on three coats and imagining bumps and brush strokes in the finished result. However the second coat evens the coverage, builds the opaqueness fully, and dries quickly to a smooth & shiny finish - it took my a while to pick a finish to describe Purple Potion with, as the intense shine is almost metallicy and had me staring, trying to find shimmer particles (nope). It doesn't stain my nails, and the wide brush is perfect for my nail shape. I've removed a lippie as Sally Hansen's pearl/frost finishes seem to chip quicker then the other polish finishes do, which does slightly lessen my love for this shade.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This color is amazing. It takes two coats and a top coat. It is bright and shines. It is a good quality nail polish. It does not ship easily. It is part of my top ten colors. I find the color so pretty and stunning that I am thinking of doing a dress the same color.

Popular Polishes