The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

Filtered by skin type : Combination
The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

2.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 11/17/2013 5:24:00 AM

Supercharged with silicones, that is what this product is. Gives a smooth surface but the use of silicones in skincare is at best dubious. Some people with sensitive skin prefer them in some expensive products because silicones form a barrier between the skin and outside conditions. However, some others find that silicones aggravate their skin troubles, clog their pores, break them out and whatnot. I am in this second group and do not want to be given silicones when I want something relatively nourishing. In either case, Vitamin C is difficult to work with -it is difficult to keep it stabile etc.

My mother lives in a village in the Mediterranean, regularly drinks fresh orange juice and despite her 67 years behind her, she has this tremendous glow on her face, especially under her eyes so much so that I told her that she overdid her frosty highlighter:)) Maybe, ı should not be lazy and try to consume oranges instead of chemical stuff from TBS.

I'm giving this an extra point simply because it would work as a primer.

on 2/19/2012 10:23:00 PM

This is the worst product I've ever used. It went on smoothly and gave me a nice glow. But I woke up the next morning with cystic acne- which I never get! I had a scar on my face for the longest time. Turns out this stuff I full of silicone and other things that clog your pores.

on 8/20/2009 12:16:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm still on the fence with this product. I know several reviewers have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad and it disappears quickly. As for the silicone base, it is VERY hard to find a vitamin C serum without some kind of silicone in it. I have oily skin that is very prone to breakouts and I have had no problem using this product. My makeup goes on very nicely after I use it in the morning. As for the brightening effects, I think I will have to use it a while longer to really make a decision. I would recommend trying this product because it is really well priced for the type of product it is. If it doesn't work then you haven't lost much.

Update: I've been using this for about 8 weeks now and I haven't seen any real changes. Nothing good, but nothing bad either. No breakouts from the silicone, but I can't say that my skin looks a ton brighter.

I really like this stuff. It feels like a make-up primer ( i think because its made from the same stuff- silicone). It instantly smooths my skin and I have noticed an improvement in my skin tone with continued use. Hasn't clogged my pores or caused break-outs

on 11/18/2007 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I disagree with everyone who is ranting about the silicones in this. Checking out the high-end serums at Sephora, including Dr. Perricone and MDSkincare (at $90 a tube), you will find the same thing. Dimethicone is actually a very good skin protectant. Don't everyone get on the bandwagon to "boo" an ingredient that is quite good for many skintypes. This goes on as a lovely primer, and is great under my sunscreen. I won't spend high prices for such similar products. As an added bonus, this has a very, very light citrus scent.

on 9/22/2004 6:45:00 PM

I just bought this the other day and so far I love it. The product has a lovely slipperiness and makes my skin instantly smooth and soft. Best of all, I used it on my throat, with some of their Soy-based cream on top, and found that it helped the appearance of the loosening skin there. I'm using the serum in combination with their new Vitamin C capsules. Capsule at night, serum in the morning.

Sorry to hear that some skins flare up when this is used, but that also suggests that this is a real treatment product with real benefits for those who can tolerate it. Postcript July 27, 2005: I use some other serums too but still love this one. I find it's especially good under makeup because of its matte silicone-y texture. No need, imho, to use a moisturizer on top of it.

on 6/16/2004 2:00:00 PM

It has a fresh citrusy scent, smooth texture and is easy to apply BUT it just sat there on my face like a layer of oil on water. Did absolutely nothing for my skin. What a waste of money.

on 10/10/2003 4:55:00 AM

I like this, I was using idealist but was way too expensive! This replaced it well, plus I feel like my skin has some added zing due to the vit C. It doesn't clog my pores, and smoothes my skin tone, making my skin soft and my moisturiser more absorbent. Update 28 Novemeber: stopped using it, too harsh for my skin after a while made it slippy and uncomfortable. demoted from a four lipstick to a two.

I'm road testing this as a cheaper replacement for Idealist at the moment. The texture of my skin and effect seem similar so far. I'm a little concerned about the orangey smell - I don't always do well with perfumed products.. I'll let you know how I get on!
**********************Update: I'm still using this daily and getting along fine. I prefer Smashbox Photo finish for some reason but I've ditched the Idealist and not repurchased when it ran out. I'm using up all my primer type products at the moment as I have too many open at one time. The crucial test will be which one I choose to repurchase!! (Will keep you updated!)

!*************************UPDATE 03/03/04 I'm sticking to Photo Finish I think. :(

on 8/21/2003 2:38:00 AM

I've been trying to find the ideal vitamim c product - and until I find it, this one works pretty well. It goes on very smooth and gives me an instant all over glow. It helps to even out my skin tone and I notice that my skin seems brighter all day when I use this in the morning. It doesn't clog my pores, and in fact seems to help when used in combination with other potentially pore-clogging products (like my old stand-by Kinerase lotion). I'm not sure this really helps with wrinkles, but for glow it's pretty good.