L'Occitane 100% Pure Shea Butter

3.9

Shea Butter

on 5/18/2017 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is 100% organic, free trade shea butter with antioxidant Vitamin E. When I first saw this product, there didn't seem to be a lot of 100% shea products from other main stream brands. I also adore L'occitane's packaging. I apply stuff out of a tub at home with clean hands. (I also have BeautySoClean spray and wipes and other items to sanitize if necessary and you can use a spatula). My impression is this product is technically unrefined and/or minimally and naturally refined using water. If you have skin issues, there is an argument for using refined rather than raw which may have impurities but refined is also stripped of nutrients. Re usage, I like to warm it up in my hands and spread on dry or slightly damp skin. For occasional use on the face, I am prone to milia, so I avoid certain areas. I use this more on lips and cuticles. Sometimes heels and elbows.

There are now many shea products out there for less money. (I haven't really paid much attention to other options because a tub of this lasts forever and a tiny amount of product goes a long way). But, i spend a lot on skincare and this product does perform well. If you want to try it out, there is a travel size tin.

on 1/2/2017 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I originally thought that I'd use this product as a lip balm or eye moisturizer. I was disappointed when it didn't seem to contain any moisture-adding or imparting properties. Rather, for these delicate areas, it just seems to "sit" on the skin like a barrier cream.

That's when I got an idea! You see, I have extremely fair/sensitive skin that is very dry around the eye and prone to wrinkling. I really like to use powdered blush and highlighters, but I find that they dry the skin out around my eyes even more, leading to premature fine lines. This shea butter works great as a barrier cream to prevent these powder products from drawing out more moisture from my skin. After using this product for about a week, I've noticed that the skin around my eyes is less creased, less dry, and softer while wearing my makeup. I also add a little bit extra shea butter throughout the day to keep the moisture in there, maybe 2-3 times.

The finish this product leaves is fairly non-emollient and non-greasy, although I will say that when I was at work a few days ago, one of our customers asked me what I use around my eyes and said my skin looked dewy, "like a fairy." I find that it generally does not lift off my existing Becca cheek colour or Anastasia under eye concealer (from the fair palette) - it does start to lift off after a few reapplications several hours later, but I feel like this is a happy trade-off considering the aging/dryness that I am preventing.

I will be buying more of this.

Used this years ago to get rid of an allergic reaction on my hand. It is the ONLY thing that works! I re-purchased on Saturday and my skin is better already. I will get the big one next time. Nice on the lips too. I have been using it as a hand cream and it is WAY better than the 20%. It doesn't feel sticky to me at all! And believe me...I have tried a gazillion hand cremes over the past few months. The big one is a much better deal than the travel size, and I forgot how much this saves chapped, irritated skin.

I am not a fan of lipbalms in a pot usually (simply because it doesn't seem that hygienic) but this shea butter balm by L'occitane is amazing.

First of all it is affordable and even a small pot will last you a very long time. This is a very natural product as well (I believe there are two ingredients in it only which is insane) and it works great as an overnight treatment for lips. It is not greasy, sticky or gloopy - it feels like a true balm and never as say a vaseline. There is a minimal scent which I would describe as nutty, but overall you won't event feel it once the product is on.

I know this balm is also good for dry elbows and even hair - so far I've only used it for my lips and it feels lovely.

If you want to read more about this or any other organic lip balms you can check this blog post here:

This 100% Shea Butter tin has been a family favourite and we have constantly repurchase over the years, despite its high price point.

Why so? Well, this product simply soothes, softens and comforts any dry areas on the body. I recently (after all these years, go figure) tried it out as a lip balm and it smoothes my lips like no other and doesn't feel sticky / uncomfortable.

Some reviewers mentioned it leaves a sticky feeling that lasts all day... I live in sunny (humid) Malaysia and only use this all over my body at night... But first I make sure my skin's damp. I keep a spray bottle filled with water on my bedside table and mist my skin before taking a small amount of shea butter, warming it with my hands first before gently massaging it into damp skin. This way, it nourishes and the product sinks into the skin a lot quicker.

on 10/7/2016 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I think that this is great for using under certain lipsticks and that's about it for me. I used it as a lash conditioner when I was using Benefit's They're Real Mascara, because it was really drying, and it helped to soften it up. As a lip balm, it doesn't provide enough moisture as a regular day to day balm. However, it's redeeming factor is that it's absolutely amazing under maybelline lipsticks. Specifically maybelline, because maybe they contain a high amount of Shea. But they make the lipstick meld to my lips more naturally and the finish is superb.

on 8/21/2014 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is amazing and I used to buy it all the time before shea was becoming so popular you could buy it from other places. It's great stuff with no scent but its very expensive. I love the tin it comes in.

I switched to a different brand later on and am just as happy. This is still overpriced.

on 1/14/2015 6:52:00 PM

Got the tiny pot couple months ago and it has saved my winter face! I put it as night cream mostly and sometimes even during the day under a BB cream and it gives me a nice glow. My face feels hydrated all day.

on 2/2/2015 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This little gem has saved my lips this winter.
This fall my lips became very dry, chapped and sore and I started a huge lip balm hunt. I tried very many lip balms from la roche posay, elizabeth arden, vichy, lavera, carmex, blistex, weleda, labello, the body shop etc but nothing worked. The balms helped me for a couple of hours but after that my lips were even more dry. It was horrible.

Then I found this one at airport and omg- my lips are completely saved! When I usually have to apply a lip balm once in an hour, this one can be applied twice a day (when i go to bed and in the morning) and my lips are super soft.

The balm (shea butter) has no fragrance which I like, and it comes in a super cute, oldfashioned 10ml tin pot which I love. The butter leaves the lips naturally shiny, not over shiny like vaseline does. There is no white residue, like with many other lip balms.

Even my husband (who usually hates all kinds of balms and creams) likes this butter and asks me every night where the sheabutter is :).

on 8/21/2014 6:53:00 PM

I love this stuff and use it all the time in a variety of scents (they have scented and unscented versions). The shelf life of this product is incredible because of its fat content. The butter itself take a while to sink into the skin, but when it does, I wake up with silky smooth skin. I use the unscented version all over my face and body. It really does wonders for dry and irritated skin, although I do not believe it to have any anti-aging properties. I wish that they had packaged this product in an elegant glass jar instead of the tin, but I think that this is a really amazing product and deserves extra attention.