Coconut Oil

4.5

Cocos Nucifera Oil.

on 6/30/2016 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm reviewing the all good brand organic coconut oil I've been using on my face and hair and it took my hair to a whole nother texture which I love ... I have relaxed African American hair but this transformed my hair into pure silk is what it did no exaggeration. For the face made my under eye bags go away no lie. Try it

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

"If you ran out or lost this product would you buy it again?" ...Um, if I ran out of oxygen would I look for more? YES.
I use it daily for all of the usual purposes- makeup remover, body moisturizer, a pre-shampoo treatment, etc... but, there's more.
This is why I kind of wish there was a lady-product category in which I could review coconut oil, because two of my favorite uses for it would fall under that category.
I found a couple of years ago that it makes an excellent lubricant for sexy-times. I know this usage is widespread (erm, so to speak)... but, an unfortunate circumstance caused me to consider using it *down there* for another reason, and I'm so glad I did!
I was diagnosed with estrogen-positive breast cancer a year ago, and part of my "treatment" has been to remove all of my girlie innards, followed by a pill I'll take for 5 years to eliminate all traces of estrogen from my body. Lemme tell ya, being thrown into hardcore menopause at 40 with no option of hormone replacement will do a number on the hoo-hah, and quick.
"Replens" and similar vaginal moisturizers get iffy reviews and are *very* expensive (you need 3 a week. They're 3 for $20!!!) plus, who knows what all those ingredients are? No, thank you.
Instead, I simply introduce about a teaspoon of coconut oil (in its solid form) into my sugar walls immediately after showering, which I do twice a day, and then shmear a bit around the outside bits.
Coconut oil, apparently, has the same ph as a healthy vagina, and it has mild antimicrobial/antifungal properties, and... IT TASTES GOOD!
Absolute game changer. So, here I am in the very sudden throes of a very premature menopause, and my lil butterfly is still as supple and ready to go as ever. I may have no interest in that sort of activity anymore, (*sobs*) but at least I can go through the motions comfortably.
...And you thought you were gonna read about a hair treatment.

To Read all 191 Reviews, Login or Join

This stuff is my HOLY GRAIL for removing tough eye makeup, it actually removes everything (even the tough waterproof mascara) and all I have to do is grab a really small amount and rub it all over my eyes and then wipe it off with a wet cloth/makeup wipe and it doesn't irritate/sting my eyes as some eye makeup removing products do, plus it is so so so cheap. I also think it has been making my poor short asian lashes thicker and longer because after I wash my face, some of the oily residue is still on my lashes (but not in a "mingled with mascara" sort of way but just an "oh look there's oil on your lashes" sort of way hahaha) and i've been using it for 3-4 months already and I can definitely see an improvement in my lashes.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

New to using coconut oil and I'm impressed with the results.
Hair Type: Very dry, coarse, porous & thick. Prone to frizz

I've always loved using oils in my hair. My three favorites are olive oil, macadamia oil and argan oil. About a month ago, I got blonde highlights in my hair and I hated them. It made my ends extremely dry. To get rid of the highlights, I did an at home dye job and did an all over color in my natural hair color. However, my ends still felt like they were deep fried. If you could imagine crumbling up potato chips in your hand, that is what my ends sounded like when I touched them. My go to oils just weren't penetrating into the hair. They would coat it but if just looked like an illusion. My hair appeared shiny but it would snarl easily and my ends still felt dried. NOTHING in my arsenal was fixing the problem.

I did a little research on hair oils and I had no idea some were penetrating oils and some are just sealant oils. Coconut oil is #1 for penetrating oils. Coconut oil prevents hair from taking in too much water. Why is it bad for hair to take on water? When hair takes on too much water, the inside swells up but the cuticles on the outside can't. The cuticles begin to split and are forced to stand up. When the cuticles are forced in this way, they break. When cuticles break, it makes the hair porous. This describes my hair situation. After I shampoo and condition my hair and blow dry it straight, all the cuticles flare up and it looks as though someone went into my hair with a razor. This is why I relied on "sealant" oils so much because they were able to tame my cuticles. However, my hair was never healed and still felt dry. Porous hair takes on too much water. Using penetrating oils like coconut make hair hydrophobic. Porous non hydrophobic hair is also prone to frizz. Frizz happens when the hair's cuticle layers are raised. How do you know if you have porous hair? You fry a pork chop and that pork chop haunts you until you rewash your hair. Porous hair holds onto smells very easily. By using penetrating oils like coconut, it forms a barrier around porous hair to prevent excess water to enter and it will start to feel smooth and healthy again.

My routine: I use 100% organic coconut oil. It is sold in a mayo type jar and it has a thick solid consistency. I put two tbs. in a measuring cup and heat it up in the microwave for a minute or until it melts to a liquid. I coat my hair from roots to ends and dipping my ends into the measuring cup to really saturate them. I work it into my hair and wrap it up and put a shower cap on. I leave it in for 3-4 hours. I shampoo twice after (no conditioner).

I am writing this about the overall use of coconut oil. I have had awful irritation on my right hand. Initially caused by an allergic reaction, I had a kind of eczema. I tried everything. I used natural products and tried and true hand creams. I have spent a fortune trying to clear this up since last June. Sometimes it would clear up and then flare up again. It is also partly due to hormonal issues. So, finally I decided to try this. I use it with peppermint oil and it has almost completely cleared it up. It is so much better. I also use it on the ends of my hair which has made my hair amazing. Sometimes I use it on my face to take off make up. So I would say this is an important product for everyone to have on hand. You can also use it for cooking!

on 1/9/2016 7:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Backtrack to six months ago: My usually long, luscious eyelashes had become stubbly, brittle and very weak due to stress, harsh wintery conditions and waterproof mascara abuse.

Initially, I intended to purchase castor oil to remedy the situation. I didn't get around to doing that, and because I was desperate to regain my former lash glory, I slathered on the next best thing in my opinion: Coconut oil.

I always have a bottle of trusty coconut oil on hand for conditioning my dry, wavy hair, moisturising my legs after shaving and occasionally for oil cleansing (I prefer sunflower seed oil for my face).

But I digress.

In a coconut shell, just a few drops of this oil applied to my lashes regularly transformed my sad lashes into lashes that are healthy, dark and lengthy. Unfortunately, I don't notice any difference in terms of volume.

Two caveats: Slathering your lashes in coconut oil is potentially milia inducing. I noticed that if I apply this every night, by the end of the week, I gain a few new milia spots. To prevent this from occurring, I apply the coconut oil every other night. This method seems to keep them at bay.

To state the obvious, don't get the oil in your eyes. Your vision will become temporarily blurry and it might sting a bit.

I usually purchase ordinary coconut oil from my Indian grocery store. It's extremely inexpensive, and a 200ml bottle has lasted me six months so far.

All in all, coconut oil is incredibly versatile and I'm sure one could find use for it. I especially adore it for keeping my lashes in tip top condition.

on 6/4/2015 12:04:00 PM

sweet baby Jesus, i love coconut oil. it can be used for so many things!

But this review is strictly on hair.

I warm up a bit of the oil, and i put it all over my hair when its dry. I wrap my hair and i sleep in it. In the morning when i take my shower i use my son's baby shampoo (wash rinse and repeat) and follow up with my regualr conditioner on the ends only.

On days i dont use it as a overnight mask i use just a tiny tiny bit as a leave-in on my ends.

my hair is so amazingly soft, shiny and healthy!

def a new staple in my hair regime!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Coconut oil does not work well for my skin or hair.
Leaves my hair feeling yucky, tangled, and actually looking worse then before using this.
I have tried using it several ways and also giving it time to work but in the end it was a total fail.
I love coconut oil for health benefits in cooking but not for anything else.

on 5/23/2015 11:32:00 AM

Forget all the hype.
STICK with this coconut oil miracle.
It's cheap, it's multi-useful, it's awesome smelling, like the beach days of old!

I put one third cup, melted 30 seconds in microwave, all through dry hair, working it in, then scoop it into a top knot and sleep with it.
I wash it out (sometimes a double shampoo is necessary) do a quick apple cider vinegar rinse, and then a spray leave in conditioner.

I will do this twice a week, and once time NOT WASH IT OUT; leave it in for 48h
My hair has been mad, wrecked, abused, breaking, pulled styling etc.
It's long and I am trying not to cut it all off so the heavy use of coconut oil is my attack plan.

I LOVE coconut oil because I LOVE MULTI -TASK PRODUCTS.
It is also useful as natural sunscreen (challenge yourself, seriously, it works)
And of course, it makes a killer cuticle moisturizer and lip balm and is great for brightening teeth: put a teaspoon in mouth after brushing, swish and swish it around for five minutes not really swallowing it, and don't eat or drink for half an hour. Try for a week: amazing.
And won't give you the cancer that the dental product industry would have us ignorant about, with all those chemical whiteners....

on 5/17/2015 11:31:00 AM

This isn't as great as I thought it would be. It's another product that's just too heavy for my hair. Also, it clogs the crap outta my drain.

Luckily you can use it for probably everything, so I will continue to buy it-- just not for my hair!