Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Pencils (All)

Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Pencils (All)

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is for the Aqua XL Waterproof Eye Pencil. Totally got suckered into the lovely display at Sephora! Bought this in Black M-10 and Purple M-80. So underwhelmed. The pencil is really hard and pulls on my eyelids. The color is uneven and not intense. The worst part though is that it smudges off all day. I don't have oily eyelids and have never had this problem. It's absolutely not waterproof and by the end of the day there is very little product left. Disappointing! These are super expensive ($21 each). I prefer Urban Decay pencils. They glide on easily and last all day.

I wanted to like this. I was told it was used on stage and trusted to stay in place. And yet my oily lids prevailed again. Nothing I've done will make this stuff stay - primer, shadow, power - nothing. Back to Lancome's Artliner until I find something that sticks.

To Read all 123 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/24/2016 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I bought this for $19 at Sephora. I love the color and the staying power, as the liner has stayed on through sleep and tears. However, while applying it does catch on the lashes a lot and although the line stays in place it does flake a lot while it is on. I don't recommend this if you are trying for a smokey eye look, as the liner is pretty much impossible to smudge. There are better eyeliners out there and so I will not repurchase this one.

on 5/23/2015 2:10:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

These eye pencils are the only knees on the market I have repurchased constantly. I have tried all there is to try. Dior, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, trish mcevoy, and i could Go on forever. These pencils are far better from any of the rest. They stay on all day have excellent pigmentation and can be smoothed easily with brushes if needed. They are soft and just a terrific buy. I can't think of my makeup kit without one of these pencils.

These are very good, but aren't as dramatic in color as I prefer in general Some colors are beautiful with great opaque payoff (12L peacock green is stunning, and I really like 2L shimmery bronze-brown.) If you blend them out or clean them up quick after applying, they set very well and maintain color nicely. My largest issue with the wear of these is that the liner can flake and the mica/shimmer can transfer afterwards. They remove well with hardcore makeup removers and oil cleansing.

I wouldn't buy these again for personal reasons (I don't buy products that are tested on animals) but I do recommend them enough in general to say I'd buy them again. I prefer Urban Decay pencils for their opaque payoff and blendability, personally.

I bought this eyeliner on the recommendation of a Sephora associate. My goal was (is) to find an eyeliner that I can use to tightline my upper lashes with, without having transfer onto the lower lid, waterline, or under eye area. Since I have oily skin, this can be difficult... and despite the SA's suggestion of using a primer (which I do), there's not much point in trying to cram primer between my lashes or to the waterline areas.

I like that this is available in an array of colors. I like a darker brown or a brown-black since my hair color and complexion do not support jet black eyeliner without looking stupid. They have a matte brown (25L) which is what I chose. It's a little lighter than I normally would choose, but this was the darkest matte shade available. (I don't do glitter that close to my eyes.) I think that the 25L brown is a fairly new addition to the lineup.

Application for me was fairly easy. It doesn't tug too much and it is super creamy. In fact, it is too creamy, I think, because it glides on thickly. It was difficult for me to put a super fine line at all, and it also seemed to put it on thickly enough that it would ball up between my lashes. I worked it out putting it on carefully so that it didn't glob up, but it requires some effort.

More than one SA has told me that this was designed for "water ballet" so that it wouldn't come off. I'm sure it is waterproof... it does not appear to be tear-proof or resistant to the natural oil my skin produces.

It smudges before it sets. So, if you want to smudge it down, that's great. You can do so.

However... It never sets. That's what is so bad about this eyeliner. It never sets at all when I tightline with it. I accidentally rubbed my eyes when playing a video game, several hours after application, when it should have been long set, and it smeared bigtime down my lower lid. (Good thing I only wore eyeliner that day and not full-face makeup.) No matter how I apply it, even if I keep my eyelid stretched up and unblinking (which then causes irritation and tears, which apparently break down the eyeliner), it does the same thing; never sets.

I teared up and it transferred onto my lower waterline. It basically wears off even faster than the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner that isn't even waterproof. It stops transferring after a few minutes.

It seems to take forever to remove. Cotton swabs with Sephora waterproof eye makeup remover does take it off, but there seems to be residue no matter how much you wipe it off.

I wanted to like this, but because it doesn't serve the basic purpose I bought it for, I'm taking this back and trying something else. Probably another pot of Bobbi Brown, which is a shame since I wanted something less apt to dry out and faster to apply.

on 6/16/2014 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Not smudge proof, last about 2 weeks if you use it everyday, nothing great really.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have this product in silver (8L), which I use on my waterline like a white eyeliner. This isn't very soft so sometimes it does tug and hurt. I find it difficult to sharpen sometimes but overall, I think this is an ok liner. It's "waterproof" to me but I've only used it on my waterline and on the inner corners of my eyes, not as a liner for my lash line. I would say I have oily eyelids but I don't notice much smudging because silver is quite a light colour.

I probably won't repurchase only because it's hard to find Make Up For Ever here in Australia and I bought this while I was in the States. I also think it's a bit pricy for a liner I only think is OK.

This is the only pencil eyeliner that I like.
I've tried UD, Nars, Benefit, Clio, Stila,
UD is too creamy and breaks, Nars is kind of dry and chalky, benefit just doesn't draw the line.. (I have to go thru tugging), clio smudges and stila flakes off. this one doesn't. it doesn't smudge as much as other pencil eyeliners, and it is pretty waterproof.. not fully.
if you have sensitive eyes, and you tend to get teary easily, this won't work. but for a pencil liner its pretty impressive.
consistency is in btw UD and Nars. not too chalky not too smooth

the color 2L is a very pretty brown soft shimmered color that looks very natural and pretty.

on 2/21/2014 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this in navy blue and it shows up really nice. Pigmentation's good but not great. One layer won't do. The staying power though...oh my god it's amazing!! I once wore it for about 9 hours and the color didn't fade didn't smudge at all. Definitely will be buying these in other colors...when they're on sale.