How Not To Look Old by Charla Krupp

Filtered by skin type : Normal
No Image

2.5

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I borrowed it from the library, and I won't be purchasing. It was a quick read and contained some valuable info, however nothing I don't already know and implement myself. My biggest criticism is Charla harps about how blonde hair makes most women look more youthful, however I've noticed how artificial blonde hair is aging. Charla's pic on the cover is awful! I find her mane of brassy, poorly toned/color-treated blonde hair distracting and unattractive and dare I say, OL. I also disagree with Charla's complete aversion to natural aging. I don't fear wrinkles and grey hair, nor do I believe that looking old is all surface. I believe beauty and youthfulness comes from within. So this is where we part ways.

I'm forty and often mistaken for mid-twenties because I don't smoke (quit almost 8 years ago) , I drink alcohol in moderation, I stay out of the sun, I exfoliate, take care of my teeth, use a small handful of mild skin care products and wear makeup only to emphasize and balance my features. I'm also the mom of girls aged 7 and nearly 6. So it may be a huge 'head-space' thing as well.

on 3/2/2008 2:02:00 PM

This book was a quick read, but there was nothing in it that can't be found in MORE magazine, online or from using a personal shopper and/or visiting a makeup counter like MAC, Prescriptives or Chanel.

There is zero emphasis on good, healthy eating, movement and exercise, meditation (or something that puts one in a positive mental frame) or living a present, caring and compassionate life.

As with any book, the author's recommendations are strictly her opinions. Some may work for her (or you), many may not. I don't believe she mentions how excess weight and obesity can be aging, even if one is 22 or 32. Botox and lasering are fine short term options if one has the money and inclination, but they are temporary fixes for a natural process of life-aging. Like menopause, aging is *not* a disease, it is something we all experience.

I'll be the first to admit that I color my hair, wear "shape wear" and avoid deep red lipstick, but I also cultivate my inner self-which is ageless.

All in all, a fun book that will be remaindered this time next year as the next anti-aging guru(s) come out with rehashes of this same information.