Cover Girl CG Smoothers Concealer

Cover Girl CG Smoothers Concealer
CG Smoothers ConcealerCG Smoothers Concealer

3.7

Squalane, PPG 2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Triisocetyl Citrate, Trimethicone, Euphorbia Cerifera Wax (Candelilla), Ozokerite, Chamomilla Recutita Extract (Matricaria), Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, C10 18 Triglycerides, Propylparaben, Copernicia Cerifera Wax (Carnauba), Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, May Contain ( /-): Mica 6/2/09

on 11/14/2016 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is the only concealer I've ever used. Someone had bought it for me as a present, when I was just starting makeup. I've been in love with it ever since. The formula is so smooth, it just glides right onto your skin. Blendable, good coverage, I've never wanted to reach for anything else. I use the shade fair, which at first glance seemed to be too dark even for me. Once you blend it in, it does wonders to conceal your under eye circles. This one is definitely a win for me.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This only provides light coverage (if you use multiple layers), so please keep that in mind if you need at least medium coverage like I do. I have to use more product than I do if I use Maybelline Fit Me or Age Rewind, which I'm not comfortable with because who wants lots of layers of makeup on their skin? I know I don't for sure.

Another thing is that the shade Light has more of a pink tone, so it's not that great unless you're cool or neutral. It's not a big deal if you set it with a good coverage powder, but again, most people don't want to have to use a lot of product on their face in order to compensate a product's incompetency.

I did give it 3 stars though, just because I know it would be great for the right person, plus it's super creamy and easy to blend, which is always a blessing. It's just not universally compatible with warm skin tones, or for those needing a bit more coverage (unless you layer, of course).

This concealer,while an old fashioned type of product (Nothing wrong with that.) does absolutely nothing to conceal imperfections for more than an hour and forget about wearing this if you have oily skin or plan on being in hot and humid weather. It will crease and settle into pores and lines. The blend ability is okay but the texture is tough to deal with. Pass on this if you are a fan of stick concealer. Or just pass on it altogether.

on 2/29/2016 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've used this most of my life, more than other brands. When the liquid ones were invented I used them. I've tried almost every brand and type of concealer. But the liquid ones are all implicated in giving me eyelid rashes for the past year. Supposedly you can develop an allergy even after years of exposure to the ingredients. I just don't know which ingredients are destroying my skin. So, reading all ingredient labels in the store, I decided this one had less of the disgusting chemicals. It still has some questionable ingredients but not as many. For example it doesn't have silica or artificial silicones as all the others seem to have.

Of course this is an old school product. It's heavy and it takes effort to blend it in nicely. But if I can have a concealer that is harmless and doesn't burn my skin, I'm willing to take the time to blend it, and I won't quibble about it. I chose the Illuminator rather than the Fair because I remembered liking the effect years ago. It is very pale but I solve that by using very little and powdering all over to blend it in.

Update Apr 28/16: I am grateful for this product. When I carelessly used a liquid concealer and got the angry burning rash again which takes weeks to heal, I use the Cover Girl stick in Fair and it covers the redness without irritating AT ALL. It deserves top marks. It covers completely and is innocent of any harm to my skin. Why didn't I throw out those caustic liquid concealers? Because....I kept hoping they would work again. I must throw them out.

I will just use this little stick. It works and it doesn't hurt my skin. I now prefer the Fair shade which gives the most opaque coverage, while still looking natural.

Update May 27/16: Lowering my rating to 3 because this, too, irritated my skin after a few days of using it. I can't win, and have to do a full makeup without any concealer or foundation. I just use Vaseline or Nivea, wipe most of it off so it won't be greasy, and then apply a mild powder that is unscented like PF or CG. I look ghastly, but whatever. Once the skin heals I of course will try this again. I always try again.

on 1/21/2016 1:08:00 AM

I have been using this concealer in Fair 705 (the absolute perfect shade for my skin tone and the effect I want to achieve when using this product) for approximately 8 years and I have yet to find another concealer that I like better. I mainly use this product for the dark circles under my eyes that are somewhat of a darker blue/purple colour, and sometime on pimples or acne scars to reduce the associated redness. Recently, I purchased a MAC Pro Longwear concealer to try something different and I must stay I was disappointed; although I liked the consistency of the MAC concealer, I found that after wearing it for a while, I really did not like the way it looked on my skin (looked heavy and super dry). On an occasion when I was doing full face makeup, I used the MAC concealer first and ended up applying a layer of the CG concealer on top to give the effect that I love (soft, moisturized and not cakey). I love the consistency of the CG concealer and the effect that it gives. I do have admit that it has a bit of a tendency to crease and lay in fine lines around the eyes, but it dawned on me to use an eyeshadow primer prior to applying the concealer (I've been using Too Faced Shadow Insurance) and it dramatically reduced the creasing that can appear when using this concealer. Not to mention, the price for this product is more than reasonable and if anything, is handy to have in your purse for touch-ups through out the day. Until I find another product that performs better (at least performs better for me) and has a better or equivalent colour match to my skin tone, I will continue to have this concealer in my makeup collection!

on 1/16/2016 11:47:00 PM

I got a shade that maybe was too light for my skin, but was good for high lighting my dark/deepset eyes maybe just a little less than usual. I should purchase a darker one to give a better review, but anyway.

It's really good if you have oily/acne prone skin but I wouldn't suggest it if you have dry skin. Doesn't give me breakouts, it glides and a bit creamy and sticks onto oily skin while simultaneously removes the oily look. Also good if you just have slightly deep set eyes or have dark circles not too dark - unlike me who looks like a vampire if well rested and a zombie if not.

I recommend that you should really buy something that matches your skin tone otherwise it will look patchy if you use it on places that aren't awfully dark (such as cleft chins or corners of zombie eyes, if you have them) otherwise try blending it out with BB cream or foundation.

Overall, really nice for its price especially for a product that doesn't cause breakouts.

on 1/4/2016 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought the color "light" in this line - and should have bought the "neutralizer" color instead, but it was sold out everywhere. "Light" is the color that was recommended to me via the CG website - and it was horrible. Extremely pink - obnoxiously so. If the "neutralizer" color comes back in stock in my area, I may purchase - but I did notice that this is extremely drying. If you have dry skin, stay away. It caused my skin to peel.

Edit - since I couldn't use this as a real concealer because the color was just way off for me - I tried using it as a primer for my eyelids like others suggested....no. Not even that worked. By the end of the day - my eyeshadow still clumped in the lines of my eyelid - so this product didn't even do that for me. I tossed it.

So I got the illuminator...
You know, the stuff that supposed to be lighter then everyone's skin tone to be like a highlighter?

Well, it matches my skin tone PERFECTLY. It feels so nice on my skin I don't even know it's there, it has just the right pink tone to it to match my skin. It's lasted the longest of all concealers I've bought, and covers stuff really well.

I recommend that if you can NEVER find the right shade because it's too yellow or orange, try this. I nearly cried with happiness not to have to mix fifty colours together to have something that works. Compared to other make up I used, pretty cheap too! I hope this one sticks around for a while.

I read somewhere to use the neutralizer color (730) to fix redness. I finally got it and have been trying to use it for the last couple weeks. First off this color looks like the perfect color match to any modern day manikin. But it does seem to take away the redness on my cheeks/nose area. But It is really flat. I feel like it makes me look sick. I like the formula so I may have to try it again in another shade...

on 3/25/2015 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the best concealer I've ever used. The lipstick type applicator is easy to use. And I love the texture. It's creamy but not oily. I bought the light shade, and it works perfectly on my under eye circles, dark spots, and blemishes. I actually purchased this shade based on the recommendation from the Cover Girl website. Normally I would have bought the fair shade, but the light shade looks so much more natural. So apparently they know what they're doing. First, I apply CG Smoothers Makeup in "Natural Ivory" with a makeup sponge. Then I apply the concealer on top wherever I need it. I use the same sponge and lightly pat to blend. Then I set with Coty Airspun Loose Powder in Rosey Beige. Once set it lasts all day.