MAC Paint Pot in Layin' Low

MAC Paint Pot in Layin' Low

4.3

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This color doesn't get nearly the recognition it should. We've all heard of Soft Ochre and Painterly ad nauseam, but this one is literally perfect for medium to tan skin tones. It is the perfect base for warm brown shadows or would look just fine on its own with some eyeliner and mascara. I wish I'd found it sooner!

on 11/15/2015 1:22:00 AM

Wanted to try out a paint pot for ages after hearing everyon rave about painterly and soft ocre, somehow on a whim ended up purchasing this one in layin low. Oh man, i love it. The price was a bit steep, im not the biggest mac fan as well, but this paint pot is my go to. The price is very worth it. The shade is a touch warmer than my actual eyelid, its perfect. Doesnt crease, doesnt flake (unless eyes are incredibly dry, but even then its not horrible). ive been using it for maybe a year or more by now, has not dried out or even look like ive used all that much... I use it almost everyday. If i ever do run out of this product, i will be running to mac to get a replacement!

To Read all 26 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my go to eye shadow base and I've actually made a dent in the jar which shows how much I love this product.
It's basically my lids but better. If you're NC30 and up, this is a fabulous neutral base.
I like to wear it on its own for a 'no makeup' look and it's perfect for bronze smokey eye looks or any warm eye looks.
It's matte so if you're worried about shimmer or sparkles, this is ideal.
The staying power is fabulous - it wears all day without fading or creasing.
A definite repurchase.

on 8/30/2015 8:31:00 AM

This product doesn't get enough mention! I hear rave reciews about Painterly or Soft Orche but Layin Low is such an underrated product.

I am roughly an NC20 but like warm crease looks so I decided to buy Layin Low instead of Soft Ochre. On my NC20 skin tone, LL is a medium caramel colour - think Too Faced Salted Caramel from the Chocolate Bar Palette! It is absolutely stunning and provides a wonderful base for all my neutral eyeshadow looks. I can sheer it or apply it opaque. I never take this product up until my brow bone as I reserve that area for matte/shimmer cream highlights. My favourite thing about this colour is that it knocks out all the darkness on my eyelids! I have a heap of veins there (pale girl problems) and the warm orange tones in this really knock them out. I also use this under my eyes to prep my Bobbi Brown corrector, which creases terribly on me, but is the only thing that counteracts my darkness.

I think this shadow would be wonderful used as a base for anybody NC35+.
For cool skin tones lighter than NC30, perhaps go with Painterly as it is more pink.
Warm tones, yellow, definitely Soft Orche instead.
Another honourable mention to Groundwork paint pot - you're the most amazing taupe on pale complexions yet you manage to look amazingly different on all skin tones.

I love these paint pots. I've tried to buy Maybelline dupes but Maybelline is a different texture entirely.

on 12/28/2014 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm a nc-42 in pro longwear foundation, matches very well as a base for my eyeshadow. Makes my kids appear fresh and clean. Really liking this product

on 10/15/2014 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

If you are around NC40 - 45 you need to get on this.

I beleive painterly is for those that are NW as itsgot moreof a pink tone, and SoftOchre for NCs as its more yellow.
Im NC42-4 and whilst using Soft Ochre (SO) was fine for base for eyeshadow due to some dark discolouratipn on my upper lid it did go a little ashy if I just wanted to forego powder eyeshadow and just have a naked eye.

Step in LL. Because it has a slight orange undertone much like an undereye corrector it gives a clean look to the eye. I have also found it doesnt look as dry & cakey as SO.

But dont trash SO it still has a purpose. As under my eyebrow the skin is a bit red prob due to tweezing etc. So this is what I do.

Put LL From lid to brow.
Use either Beauty blender or the RT equivalent over to smooth it - this is an awesome trick.
Fill in my brows with ABH Brow Pomade
Then put SO under my brow which cancels any redness and brightens/highlights the browbone without the awful shimmery look.

on 8/29/2014 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Try this color on before purchasing. I loved it in the store and in the pot, but when I purchased and wore it, I didn't like the color on. Like other reviews have said, it look orange, or has an orange tint on some skin tones. I exchanged it for a different color.

on 7/6/2014 4:39:00 AM

Not working. Both creasing and fading within 3-4h with it as the primer. Nothing different between this expensive one and the cheap elf one. After seeing so many gurus' recommendations and good reviews here, I'm losing hope for a even better primer that really work on me in such hot humid weather. I'll use it up for the price.

Not sure why but is working now... maybe because of the weather.

Works excellent as a primer or on its own. I sometimes quickly apply on the outer part of the eye lid area to make my green eyes pop more. Can be also used under shadows providing a good hold and preventing them for creasing.
The color is warm orangey brown.

on 9/27/2013 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Went to the MAC counter today... I had always used Urban Decay's Primer Potion but when the lady told me about paint pots that I've always heard about, I thought I would give it a try. At first, the consistency is that of a concealer. But I was amazed at how CREAMY this was. It goes on cream, dries to powder. I rubbed my eyes and forgot I was wearing eye makeup (GASP...the worst stomach drop EVER when you realize what you've just done!) and my shadows were still totally in place. Not even a little bit rubbed off I was so amazed!! In my opinion, this is quick thick for a primer, but it's because the coverage is so high and pigmented, it really gives you that ultimate base for any eye shadows. Totally and utterly in love, obsessed, and beyond impressed.