Clairol Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Clairol Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In  [DISCONTINUED]
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In  [DISCONTINUED]Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/29/2008 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got this for $1.50 with a coupon. Used this with the Long-Term conditioner, and this did not do it for me. I was expecting it to calm the halo of frizz I have on my long, chemically-treated hair. It didn't do that, if anything, it make it worse. Very thin consistency, not a good leave in at all.
I gave this product a rating of one.. the conditioner got a rating of two, because the scent was one redeeming quality about it. Smells heavenly. But this stuff smells terrible, not like the shampoo or conditioner at all.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

When my dad was on a drugstore run, I asked him to buy me some heat protectant. "Nothing expensive," I told him, "just look for the work protectant in it. It'll come in a pump." So he picked this leave in conditioner up. I couldn't blame him, it fit all the criteria. So I am using it. I've had it for months, used it a good ten+ times. I have straight, thick, long tresses. I get many compliments on the health of my hair, but since moving to the midwest where the water and winters are unbearably harsh, I thought extra moisture wouldn't hurt for my ends. I have used BedHead's Ego Boost, Organix, EVOO, and Aussie's spray leave ins before, so I know what to and what not to expect from leave in conditioner..
Perhaps because I have such healthy hair, I do not see the beaming benefits other reviewers have mentioned. This is a cream conditioner, much like the stuff you use in the shower. It's very heavily scented. It's a decent scent, but I don't like anything hindering the way of my fragrances. I need about 6 pumps of the stuff just to cover the tips of my hair evenly. I do have lots of hair and this product is cheap, but it just seems wasteful!
I have applied it on both dry and wet hair. Either way, it leaves my hair with a waxy residue that doesn't get absorbed. My hair doesn't have split ends to begin with, but the dried ends are not "quenched" at all.

Herbal Essences products, in my opinion, have nothing special about them other than smelling nice, and are actually let downs most of the time. This is no exception. It was only three bucks, but I'd rather let my conditioner sink in a bit longer in the shower than to use this. It leaves me with nothing but a strong flowey smell and a gunky residue. Would not recommend.

on 7/27/2008 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I love this because it does exactly what it promises - it's a "leave-in split end protector for long hair." I don't like the smell (I think I'm in the minority on that one though) or the thick, almost waxy texture; also, I agree with ArizonaAngel that this does weigh your hair down. HOWEVER, I am trying to grow out my hair, and this protects from split ends wonderfully. I will stick with this until my hair grows out to the length I want it, and then maybe switch to something that isn't as heavy.

7/28/08 Edit: I've been reading up on hair products and the ingredients that go in them, and upon looking through LTR's ingredients - including but not limited to dimethicone and lots of things ending in "alcohol" - I changed my repurchase from "yes" to "no," and gave this 2 lippies instead of 4.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I don't care for this at all. I love the scent - it is fresh, juicy and crisp. The texture is nice and it does make my hair soft. I have tired using so little to the point that I am not even using a full pump of this and my hair still looks greasy and weighed down. Also it causes alot of buildup and makes my long, fine blonde (color treated) hair VERY dull. Won't repurchase.

on 2/13/2012 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Dear Clairol: This is your last chance. You discontinued Renewal 5X leave-in, which I loved; you discontinued Herbal Essences Citrus Lift Detangling Spray, which I loved; you discontinued Herbal Essences Break's Over Shampoo, which I grew to REALLY love. All of those worked beautifully and made my long, fine, straight hair look and feel silky, healthy, and soft. I have found no acceptable alternative to any of these which fits my budget.

Long Term Relationship Leave-in is a fair substitute for Renewal 5X; it can be a little waxy, and if I get just the right amount on my air-dried hair it will look reasonably good, but I can't use it every day because it's kinda heavy. Nonetheless, I do like it. Therefore, I warn you: if you discontinue this, I am done with you - period, end of sentence, DONE. WITH. YOU.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Yours, etc.,
Z

on 3/13/2011 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Smells amazing. Kind of reminds me of the chi silk infusion thing. It leaves my hair smooth and soft . But I feel like I don't really see the difference because I still have a lot of split ends! I still like using it though ! For the price it's not bad!!

This works well for my long, straight hair, leaving it silky, shiny, and almost tangle-free. The problem for me is the smell. It's lovely (if a bit strong) when I first put it in but as the day progresses, my hair begins to take on a distinctly fishy odor. I'm aware that this may just be the way the fragrance reacts to my personal body chemistry but it is DISGUSTING.

Performance-wise, this would be a 4.5/5.0 for me, but I just can't take the smell.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Like the matching rinse-out conditioner, I found that this leave-in left my hair tangly and hard to comb. It's a silicone-based cream intended to help seal split ends, and it does do a nice job of making my ends feel softer (I know nothing can fix a split end except a trim, but I do believe that moisturizing oils and cones can help prevent the wear and tear that causes splits). It definitely works much better in damp hair than in dry hair, where it gets especially sticky. I've been applying it to damp hair, air-drying, and also applying it to the tassels of my braids (I put my hair into braids when I sleep with it dry). Overall it's not a bad product, but I won't repurchase due to the stickiness. Easy to use pump bottle, strong fragrance that lingers.

on 7/28/2009 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have almost waist long straight hair. Im prone to split ends so Ive been using this for a few months. The products lasts a lot and it smells great. It leaves my hair smelling great and soft. Im not so sure if it does anything for the split ends, since my hair is thin and prone to breakage either way. But it hasn't dried it out, so oiliness, or buildup. As long as it leaves it soft and smelling good, ill keep using it, unless i find better. I use this in combination with the shampoo and conditioner and do feel the hair texture improve.

on 11/18/2008 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking for a good leave-in conditioner that keep my hair soft at the end of the day. I am asian with thin fine hair that I occasionally straighten with the CHI but other than that my hair is in fairly good condition. As the day progresses, my roots tend to get oily and my ends a bit rough. In the winter, at the end of the day, my ends begins to feel a bit rough and tangled so I wanted a leave-in treatment that would keep my hair soft all day long. I tried this in 3 different ways.
1) I showered at night and the next morning as I got ready, I smoothed about 2 pumps worth of product into my hair. It didn't seem to "blend" into my hair. When you ran my fingers through my hair, it was obvious I had product in it. It didn't feel soft and smooth like I hoped. As the day passed on, the cream seem to have absorbed into my hair more and my hair felt softer.
2) I showered at night and before my hair dried, I put the product into my hair. When I woke up, my hair was pretty soft but there was still a hint of residue.
3) I showered at night and waited till my hair dried, and put the product in. Again, it was obvious that I had cream in my hair and the texture felt "funny". The next morning, my hair felt very smooth, was not obvious there was some kind of cream in my hair, and stayed that way for the rest of the day. :) Guess it takes a while for the cream to absorb into my hair.
So I guess option 3 went the best for me. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell. So heavenly. I want to try other leave-in treatments first before I decide if I would repurchase this one because I like to just put the product in the morning and have results right then and there, not wait a whole night. The reviews on the Herbal Essences Break's Over leave in conditioner is better so I think I'll try that one next (if i can find it!).